The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
There could be a test that everyone has to take to see if they're mature enough to have sex. (slightly srs)

That would take up a ridiculous amount of time and would be a complete waste of the court's funding. Don't you think if a test like that is a better idea, somewhere would use them by now?
Original post by Kabloomybuzz
Not many people know the age of consent was only put into place in the first place to prevent child prostitution. There is nothing valid or logical to really say that under 16s aren't able to make that decision.

Well, like you say in your post: what would prevent young children getting taken advantage of?

I think it's best that there's some age of consent, but obviously the exact age decided upon may be fairly arbitrary.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 22
What you have to remember about the age of consent is that the CPS will not procecute unless it is actually a problem (like 18 on 13), they have better things to do with their time.
Not many people know the age of consent was only put into place in the first place to prevent child prostitution. There is nothing valid or logical to really say that under 16s aren't able to make that decision.

Except the common sense that most people under 16s (whether they be 15 or 10) are not emotionally mature enough and are open to manipulation by older people.
Reply 24
Like the others say, it's fine without sex.

Original post by thelion0
Let me guess you're the 15 year old..

Hahahaha.
Reply 25
Original post by monk_keys
Except the common sense that most people under 16s (whether they be 15 or 10) are not emotionally mature enough and are open to manipulation by older people.

^ this
The age is fine. I had a relationship with someone at 15 with a 17 year old. It's less to with age and more to do with maturity. I would wait for anything sexual because it's best not to rush into things. It's amazing how people at 15 years of age are peer pressured into having sex. Losing your virginity doesn't gain you any real brownie points in the world, you're not going to get some amazing badge of honour you can sew onto your school uniform.
Reply 27

And they suddenly are as soon as they hit 16?
Reply 28
Original post by james22
What you have to remember about the age of consent is that the CPS will not procecute unless it is actually a problem (like 18 on 13), they have better things to do with their time.

Is this true? Has anyone ever been prosecuted in my situation?
And they suddenly are as soon as they hit 16?

No but as it has already been said the law is black and white so a cut-off has to be placed somewhere even if it is fairly arbitrary.

So the day you turn 16 you magically become emotionally mature enough to have sex? Thats just stupid. There are probably plenty of 14 years olds physically and emotionally ready and responsible enough to have sex and a lot of 19 year olds who aren't.

Its the lack of education and abundance of stigma around sex thats the problem. Why do you think those countries with the lowest ages of consent and the better education that has the lowest teenage pregnancy and sti rates?

Better to have an age consent at a point where the average child can fully comprehend how sex and their body works in the physical sense (around 12/13) and fully educate them with the facts from an early age, with teaching about the emotional side of things as well, breaking down the confusion and stigma about sex.
Reply 31
What is your opinion on a 17 year old boy and 15 year old girl being together? Year 12 with year 10.

hmmm well like others have said, as long as it's not sexual it's ok as the law is 16 for consent. it's a bit weird as most 15-year-olds havent finished puberty yet, but she could be early or something, i dunno. just dont take advantage of her or anything? because she'll probably think shes really 'cool' having an older boyfriend which might make the guy believe he has power and she'll do anything to keep him
So the day you turn 16 you magically become emotionally mature enough to have sex? Thats just stupid. There are probably plenty of 14 years olds physically and emotionally ready and responsible enough to have sex and a lot of 19 year olds who aren't.

Its the lack of education and abundance of stigma around sex thats the problem. Why do you think those countries with the lowest ages of consent and the better education that has the lowest teenage pregnancy and sti rates?

Better to have an age consent at a point where the average child can fully comprehend how sex and their body works in the physical sense (around 12/13) and fully educate them with the facts from an early age, with teaching about the emotional side of things as well, breaking down the confusion and stigma about sex.

It's already been said an arbitrary limit has to be set somewhere, is it that difficult to follow the flow of a debate over one and a half pages?

12 is retarded. fully retarded.
Reply 33
Original post by Abigail05
hmmm well like others have said, as long as it's not sexual it's ok as the law is 16 for consent. it's a bit weird as most 15-year-olds havent finished puberty yet, but she could be early or something, i dunno. just dont take advantage of her or anything? because she'll probably think shes really 'cool' having an older boyfriend which might make the guy believe he has power and she'll do anything to keep him

Most 17 year old boys haven't either :dontknow:
Reply 34
Most 17 year old boys haven't either :dontknow:

true! so neither of you should be having sex :biggrin: no, in all seriousness, youre both young so by all means, have a relationship, but dont make sex the focus
It's already been said an arbitrary limit has to be set somewhere, is it that difficult to follow the flow of a debate over one and a half pages?

12 is retarded. fully retarded.

Why is it? The fact is, a small number of people of that age DO choose to have sex of their own volition. There are countries that have this as the age of consent and it DOES work. Fact is, most 12 year olds aren't ready, so the majority of 12 year olds won't be going out having sex. One of the reasons it seems to work in places where the age of consent is low is, apart from good education - because with a low AoC, there HAS to be good education early on - the fact that people CAN do it makes it less of an issue, less of a secret dirty... and therefore appealing thing it is. It means there is less pressure surrounding sex and "virginity"
I'm a 15 year old girl and I guess I'd be ok with it. I wouldn't want the guy to pressure me into doing anything, or make me feel immature. But yeah, if he genuinely liked me I'd be cool. Any older and it would get a bit weird :/
Why is it? The fact is, a small number of people of that age DO choose to have sex of their own volition. There are countries that have this as the age of consent and it DOES work. Fact is, most 12 year olds aren't ready, so the majority of 12 year olds won't be going out having sex. One of the reasons it seems to work in places where the age of consent is low is, apart from good education - because with a low AoC, there HAS to be good education early on - the fact that people CAN do it makes it less of an issue, less of a secret dirty... and therefore appealing thing it is. It means there is less pressure surrounding sex and "virginity"

Because the main benefit of a lower age of consent is allowing young people who are emotionally ready, to have sex. The main disadvantage is taking away a lot of legal power to prosecute those who manipulate and abuse those not ready.

At 12 almost nobody is ready and almost everyone is open to abuse...you're gaining nothing and losing everything.

Maybe there are places where 12 works within particular social/ cultural contexts, the average in Europe seems to be 15/16...however completely reinventing how our society views sex through better sex education (from a society that can't convince people not to smoke cigarettes which kill them) is a pipe dream.
I heard of a good rule to go by somewhere on TSR. It was half the age, plus seven. So I guess it kind of works out at 17 and 15.
Because the main benefit of a lower age of consent is allowing young people who are emotionally ready, to have sex. The main disadvantage is taking away a lot of legal power to prosecute those who manipulate and abuse those not ready.

At 12 almost nobody is ready and almost everyone is open to abuse...you're gaining nothing and losing everything.

Maybe there are places where 12 works within particular social/ cultural contexts, the average in Europe seems to be 15/16...however completely reinventing how our society views sex through better sex education (from a society that can't convince people not to smoke cigarettes which kill them) is a pipe dream.

I understand what you're saying... perhaps though some sort of compromise would be better. For people between the ages of 12-16, consent can only be given by someone else between those ages, or a couple of years older if you're at the older end. That way, there is protection against vulnerable young teenagers being abused by adults.

And I don't think it is a pipe dream at all... the state of sex education is terrible in this country. A drastic overhaul would do a lot of good. It might take a generation or two to see the full effects, but its not a pipe dream. Smoking is a completely different matter that I don't want to get into on this thread to avoid going off on an irrelevant tangent.
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest