The Student Room Group

do you think she's spoiled?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chelsea cheese
would you think she was spoilt or do you think i was being unfair??

She's certainly privileged, but not necessarily spoilt.
Reply 101
Original post by chelsea cheese
ok before anybody asks, this isnt about me. its about my cousin who is the exact same age as me but believes she's not spoilt we were having a family discussion at the weekend and i accused of her of being spoilt. just want to make sure i haven't said anything that's untrue. what would be your opinions if you met a girl who had this?:

17 years old
no job (does occasional babysitting)
reasonably valuable car (£3-4k) with private reg name number plate
insurance paid for by parents. £800 worth of driving lessons paid for by parents.
apple macbook pro her parents (my Auntie and Uncle) paid for the majority
apple iphone on contract paid for by parents
apple tv in her bedroom
ipad and imac which are her parents' but she can use whenever
ralph lauren clothes, jumper, coat, polos etc
2 pandora bracelets full of charms, a thomas sabo bracelet and a michael kors watch, none of which she bought herself.
Always has nice clothes, converse, vans, levi jeans, blazers, timberland boots, nice coats and bags etc
salon studio GHDs
clinique and mac make up
going on two european holidays this summer with friends and staying in 4/5* hotels, she paid for with own money but from her savings
been all over the world, asia, middle east, north america etc
parents have a mercedes amg (sport thing idk) and a porsche S as well as a 4x4
going to uni in september and living at home but parents are paying for her train fare
might do a year abroad which parents will pay for

she thinks she's normal like everyone else but i tried to tell her she's quite spoilt. i think she knows she has a lot of stuff but can't see just how much. i don't mean she brags about everything she has because she doesnt and you wouldnt really know if you met her but i want her to see just how much stuff she has. would you think she was spoilt or do you think i was being unfair??

I wouldn't say it's fair to call her spoilt because that implies ungratefulness or brattish behaviour. I think that she probably doesn't understand the value of money though, and at 17 I think she should be looking for a job for some life experience. It's great that her parents can afford to give her so much but they need to give her a work ethic too. I don't know if she does or doesn't but if she got a job then she could see how much her time is worth. It's not normal to have so many things or to have them paid for by someone else! If she got a regular minimum wage job then she would understand that an hour of her time doing that is worth £5. It would put into perspective just how much her parents have given her and how grateful she should be.

I also think that while it must be wonderful to be from such a wealthy family, there is a dignity that comes from having earned your own money that makes you respect people who work a lot more, gives you a lot more self-respect and confidence, and teaches you about the value of money and of work.

Side note: I'd advise her not to live at home for uni because I don't think she'll have as good an experience. She sounds like she would benefit from the learning experience of living away from home. Not because she's 17 or well-off, just because I think everyone should live in halls if they can afford it; it's a really great experience and she won't get another one like it.

:smile: hope I haven't come off as patronising or anything :tongue:
Reply 102
Original post by Fullofsurprises
In terms of your bold points, in all honesty, most of the people I know have had most or all of those. I wonder if I am surrounded by spoilt brats? :eek:

Not necessary spoilt brats, but far more well off than the average person. :tongue:
I would say shes privliged and very sheltered it's a real shame she is staying at home for uni as going away for her in particular would do her a world of good seeing how most people live

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BlahBlaBlahBla
Me too :smile: his name is Tommy and he is rather dashing :teehee:

Awww. It's so nice to still have your bear. :teddy: Mine is called 'Bear'. He has lost an ear.
Original post by willbee
Not necessary spoilt brats, but far more well off than the average person. :tongue:

Maybe. I suspect a lot of students at the top 10 or 20 universities come from backgrounds that are substantially better off than the national average.
It depends doesn't it. If she expects these things- and isn't thankful in any way shape or form, then she is spoilt.

My parents have brought me nice things- nice laptops, nice phones etc. However, im always thankful and grateful. Mum brought me Robbie tickets, so I brought her Michael Buble tickets. She brought me some new UGG boots, I brought her a golf bag she wanted.
Reply 107
she's rich yeah...but people are spoilt when they don't appreciate things, take them for granted and keep on demanding for more...not just when they have rich parents
Original post by Care-Free
My mum used to give us "wages", she wouldn't ask us to do anything but at the end of the month we'd get a "pay pack" listing all the things we'd done by ourselves (housework etc) and their money's worth...we also got our pay docked if we did something wrong...seemed to work for us :smile:

that seems quite fair, I'm guessing it would teach the concept of earning money, as opposed to taking it for granted, I like it. :smile:
Awww. It's so nice to still have your bear. :teddy: Mine is called 'Bear'. He has lost an ear.

Seems like you were a creative child with the name "bear" but it actually sounds rather endearing :smile:
Awhh gutted about his ear though! My I ask what happened ? :O
Seems like you were a creative child with the name "bear" but it actually sounds rather endearing :smile:
Awhh gutted about his ear though! My I ask what happened ? :O

It's a sad story - and one I can only share by PM. It upsets me to think of it. Poor Bear. :cry:
It's a sad story - and one I can only share by PM. It upsets me to think of it. Poor Bear. :cry:

Oh dear I'm really sorry :frown:
-Pats on shoulder sympathetically-
Apple have a TV! whaaaat
Oh dear I'm really sorry :frown:
-Pats on shoulder sympathetically-

Ohh, thanks! Of course, it happened when I was about 8, so I'm kind of getting over it a little now.

Do people think that "spoilt" = "childish"? Those things seem to be associated in some ways and not others.
Ohh, thanks! Of course, it happened when I was about 8, so I'm kind of getting over it a little now.

Do people think that "spoilt" = "childish"? Those things seem to be associated in some ways and not others.

Oh good :smile:
Yeah I think that people associate those two things with going hand in hand in some way as in if you always get what you want then you are naturally more immature in nature and therefore it shows you're childish due to being spoilt? I guess?
I can kinda see where people are coming from with that one

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending