The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jam277
We lost 1-0 to manchester city. Nicolas anelka scored the goal. We wouldn't be having this conversation as we'd be invincibles had he not scored that goal. We got more points than you, won the league cup and got knocked out controversially in the CL semi final. You guys on the other hand never got to a final of any cup, don't have the record points total, don't have the most clean sheets in a season, don't have the best defensive record in a season. your only trump card is that you were unbeaten.

Also who gives a **** about flair or style of play. Results count first and foremost and we got better results than you the whole season and was able to show our form in more than one competition. Were it not for a ghost goal we could have made the final of the CL. You guys don't compare tbh. Great team but not the best.

Lol. So which club was given a golden EPL trophy to commerate their achievement? Which team was officially voted as the best ever last season?

Had Chelsea not lost against City they'd have lost another game later. I remember the hype around Arsenal with a few games to go and teams were playing out of their skin to become to try and beat us. Mentally it takes a lot not to let the pressure get to you.

wrt to the CL, Chelsea fluked a result(wouldnt be the last time either...) and we missed out on winning it. The history books wont remember it that way but its not an argument against the quality invincibles tbh.

Style makes it all the more impressive. To go to the likes o Bolton on a freezing evening in January and play fantastic football and leave unbeaten time and time again is superior to just being organised and hard to beat like that Chelsea team were.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Louis.
08 was probably better in terms of pure quality. It's easier to be consistent playing functional defensive football (which we did in Europe at least), the VDS/Rio/Vidic base was just incredible and Ronaldo's brilliance allowed us to pack the midfield too. Yeah we lost a home tie to Portsmouth, Ronaldo was denied a pen but then we left Anderson and Rooney back when we had a corner, Rooney had a brainfart which led to Kuszczak's red and Rio in goal. Don't like saying it cost us a treble because we'd still have 2 games to win and the extra games might have impacted other results, but yeah definitely a competition we should have won.

Nothing like as fond memories as from the 99 team though, the midfield, the strikers, Stam, Schmeichel, Barca 3-3's, the goal in my sig, Keane against Juve, Giggs' goal, that whole semi final...the way we went and attacked teams made for a fantastic season. That same philosophy probably cost us in the years after 99 but christ I still think it was worth it. Only regret is that I wasn't a few years older to appreciate it fully.

Porto under AVB too I think, although not in an elite league. I can see how the Invincibles was an absolutely incredible achievement but I just haven't seen a convincing argument as to why it's better than setting a points record.

I guess SAF started getting it right tactically in europe. He showed it again against madrid too but I loved watching united in the 08-09 season in the CL. Ronaldo's goal man. Here I was thinking alex scored goal of the tournament then the next day ronaldo comes up with that.

Wish I was as into football around the late 90s as I am now too. Guess you don't appreciate the beauty of football until you get older, especially the tactical side of things. Oh and btw do any of you guys have links to good CL games? Like CL finals so I can watch them(don't mention the 03 final because I struggled to watch 45 mins of that)? Gonna be bored at home in the easter holidays so wanna watch some old historic games.

Yeah AVB went unbeaten. In fact he lost 3 games in all competitions all season. One in the portuguese cup and another two in the europa league. One to villareal and I forgot the other one.
Original post by jam277
Tbh public vote doesn't mean ****. Alves is a better right back than lahm and chiellini isn't as good as pique despite having the best defensive record in all the leagues. Oh and marcelo is the best left back in the world. You see my drift.

The public will just think "arsenal went unbeaten therefore are the best team" but really they weren't, bottled it in europe to a chelsea team who had 11 points less than them in the league and only won one trophy that season. I guess mancini's inter is the best italian team as well because they got 97 points under him although mourinho got a treble unbeaten at home a couple seasons later. Or juve are the best ever team in serie A because of last season.

Well, the 'expert panel' also went for Arsenal...

Even if you forget about the fact and go through that Arsenal side in 2004. Henry, Bergkamp, Vieira, Pires, Cole, Campbell were all world class with everyone else close enough. How many of the CFC side were? Player for player there's just no comparison.
Original post by jam277
We lost 1-0 to manchester city. Nicolas anelka scored the goal. We wouldn't be having this conversation as we'd be invincibles had he not scored that goal. We got more points than you, won the league cup and got knocked out controversially in the CL semi final. You guys on the other hand never got to a final of any cup, don't have the record points total, don't have the most clean sheets in a season, don't have the best defensive record in a season. your only trump card is that you were unbeaten.

Also who gives a **** about flair or style of play. Results count first and foremost and we got better results than you the whole season and was able to show our form in more than one competition. Were it not for a ghost goal we could have made the final of the CL. You guys don't compare tbh. Great team but not the best.

Lol no you wouldnt. Cech would have been sent off and we would have more than likely scored the penalty. Nothing controversial about it.
Original post by Zürich
Well, the 'expert panel' also went for Arsenal...

Even if you forget about the fact and go through that Arsenal side in 2004. Henry, Bergkamp, Vieira, Pires, Cole, Campbell were all world class with everyone else close enough. How many of the CFC side were? Player for player there's just no comparison.

The 05 Chelsea team were better man for man than the 04 Arsenal team. The "Invincibles" were overrated.
Original post by Zürich
Lol. So which club was given a golden EPL trophy to commerate their achievement? Which team was officially voted as the best ever last season?

Had Chelsea not lost against City they'd have lost another game later.
that's an absolutely horrible argument. We got 15/19 away wins drew the rest bar one and won 14/19 home games drawing the rest and you're seriously telling me that we'd have lost somewhere else along the line, beating the likes of united for fun. We even went a year unbeaten under mourinho just that it wasn't at the start of the season to the end
I remember the hype around Arsenal with a few games to go and teams were playing out of their skin to become to try and beat us. Mentally it takes a lot not to let the pressure get to you.
Pressure, you do realise who our manager was at the time right? Do you really think we'd have bottled it another time? there's a reason why that match was a one off that season.

wrt to the CL, Chelsea fluked a result(wouldnt be the last time either...) and we missed out on winning it. The history books wont remember it that way but its not an argument against the quality invincibles tbh.
What do you mean, basically you just said we got a result against you and you bottled it in europe with a good team, barca weren't the best team last season because they bottled it in europe even though they are seen as the best team, madrid, dortmund and chelsea were in terms of achievements.

Style makes it all the more impressive. To go to the likes o Bolton on a freezing evening in January and play fantastic football and leave unbeaten time and time again is superior to just being organised and hard to beat like that Chelsea team were.
Not really, style doesn't make anything more impressive, results do and if you can get 1-0's for a season with 30% possession that's potentially more impressive than winning 3-1 and 4-2 with 80% possession don't you think? It's all well and good playing good football but results count first and we got better results than you did, there'd be no argument if anelka didn't score that goal about you getting better results or being better than us over the season

Oh and one final thing, If a team got 111 points(37 wins and 1 loss) and another team got 100 points(34 wins and 4 draws) which would you say is the better team?
Original post by CB91
Lol no you wouldnt. Cech would have been sent off and we would have more than likely scored the penalty. Nothing controversial about it.

We remember the barca legs in 09 and 2012, being a man down doesn't mean a thing if they don't score but getting illegitimate goals do. You would have probably won the FA cup if they allowed carrolls goal e.g. and that was probably the main difference between us getting the FA cup and you guys.
Original post by jam277
We remember the barca legs in 09 and 2012, being a man down doesn't mean a thing if they don't score but getting illegitimate goals do. You would have probably won the FA cup if they allowed carrolls goal e.g. and that was probably the main difference between us getting the FA cup and you guys.

Of course being a man down matters, stop being deluded. If anything the decision benefited you more than us because it left you with 11 men on the pitch as opposed to being both a goal and a man down.
Original post by CB91
Of course being a man down matters, stop being deluded. If anything the decision benefited you more than us because it left you with 11 men on the pitch as opposed to being both a goal and a man down.

I'm not being deluded. I'm just saying that you never know what would have happened. The penalty could have been saved etc. but a goal can't be erased. Either way we were cheated. Would rather have gone down legitimately knowing we deserved to concede the goal than have a ghost goal put in. The chelsea barca leg in 09 I'd have rather gone a man down illegetimately than have 4 potential pens(or 2 stonewall pens) not given it's simple as that.

Anyway ref bottled the red card and looked for any old excuse to not give it so gave the goal.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by jam277
i'm not being deluded. I'm just saying that you never know what would have happened. The penalty could have been saved etc. But a goal can't be erased. either way we were cheated. Would rather have gone down legitimately knowing we deserved to concede the goal than have a ghost goal put in.

Anyway ref bottled the red card and looked for any old excuse to not give it.

lol

k.
Original post by Zürich
The FA held awards last year to commemorate 20 years of the EPL and the Invincibles won the public vote for 'Best Team'...

And Rooney's shin goal off a deflected cross won best goal :lol:
Original post by CB91
lol

k.

Like to give me a reason. It wasn't a goal but they gave it. Therefore we were cheated.
Funny how you're calling me delusional but you fail to realise that giving an illegitimate decision that costs us a match is being cheated in a game.
Original post by manchesterunited15
And Rooney's shin goal off a deflected cross won best goal :lol:

Hadn't Cisse scored his goal at the time. Rooney's goal vs city was such an overrated goal.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by jam277
Like to give me a reason. It wasn't a goal but they gave it. Therefore we were cheated.
Funny how you're calling me delusional but you fail to realise that giving an illegitimate decision that costs us a match is being cheated in a game.

Hadn't Cisse scored his goal at the time. Rooney's goal vs city was such an overrated goal.

I think he had when the award was given but not when the shortlist was announced. 2nd was Bergkamp's turn and finish and 3rd was Henry's flick, turn and volley, both were better than Rooney's...
United 2007-2008 were my all time fave premiership team. Tevez Rooney and Ronaldo running the show.
Original post by jam277

You're being pathetically stupid here, the decision benefited you, just because it was incorrect doesn't make it against you, its like if your team should get a penalty, isn't given and you score 5 seconds after, you won't sit around after claiming you were cheated because of it are you? If chelsea won that semi then liverpool fans would every right to claim they were cheated because cech wasnt sent off and liverpool given a penalty, certainly after the 5-1 in the fa cup semi last season I was fuming we were given the goal and not a pen and a cech red card, I mean, we were the team fouled, surely we should get the advantage?

The decision didn't cost you the match, the decision gave you a better chance in the match as opposed to the correct decision but you still lost, get over it.
Original post by xxbradkennedyxx
You're being pathetically stupid here, the decision benefited you, just because it was incorrect doesn't make it against you, its like if your team should get a penalty, isn't given and you score 5 seconds after, you won't sit around after claiming you were cheated because of it are you? If chelsea won that semi then liverpool fans would every right to claim they were cheated because cech wasnt sent off and liverpool given a penalty, certainly after the 5-1 in the fa cup semi last season I was fuming we were given the goal and not a pen and a cech red card, I mean, we were the team fouled, surely we should get the advantage?

The decision didn't cost you the match, the decision gave you a better chance in the match as opposed to the correct decision but you still lost, get over it.

But you scored a goal which made up for it. The ref was within his rights to not give a red card or a penalty since you scored. Advantage rule and that. You could have just as easily missed and we'd have won the match.

Oh and by you guys getting the advantage, he let the play go on and gave you a goal. He could have given the alternate view(red card and pen) but he was within his rights not to, the ref wasn't in his rights to give the luis garcia goal and that's fact.

Oh and if a decision gives the other team an illegitimate winner it costs us the match right? I thought you'd probably have been more aggreived by mata's ghost goal than the red card tbh as it swung the floodgates.
Original post by jam277
The ref was within his rights to not give a red card or a penalty since you scored. Advantage rule and that. You could have just as easily missed and we'd have won the match.
You cannot play an advantage with a red card offence.
Original post by doggyfizzel
You cannot play an advantage with a red card offence.

Hmm didn't realise that, take back what I said then. Thought it was only for things like violent misconduct(mcmannaman's tackle)
Reply 2178
Off-topic Q. I've applied for CL Final tickets but I want to withdraw my application. I've emailed the ticketing people and they said the deadline for withdrawal has passed and the only way I can get out of it is if the payment doesn't go through. I've used a credit card so how can I prevent any payment from going through? (This is still at the ballot stage so there is no guarantee I will be allocated tickets).

Could I tell the bank to block any payment to UEFA? I can't cancel the card. Any ideas appreciated.
Tbh, your best bet will be to call the card company. You don't want to do anything which could incur unforeseen charges.

Latest