The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

^hey Epi :h:
I went to bed later than usual cause I was reading my book :yep:
^ is a book worm :worm2:
Reply 7022
Original post by The Epicurean
Is the global economy in the ****s? I would say yes and no. But the ups and downs are simply a component within capitalism. Even Capitalism's greatest supporters understand that booms and busts happen. Keynes believed that recessions happened and were a fact in capitalism, but governments could lessen their effects by simply creating stimulus plans and increasing government expenditure. Economists like Hayek believed that we should opt for austerity and let all the inefficent firms fail. He believed that by bailing out these failing businesses and spending money we are trying to cover up the problem and are not doing anything to solve it and it will only result in another worse recession. Anyway, TL;DR, the economy is in the ****s but it is part of capitalism and will always happen.

Keynes theories has worked in the past but I do believe the government should not have opted for his methods, or at least have a god damn plan "B"...Austerity sure as hell is not working, America is in **** loads of debt because it borrowed far to much to recover the economy, same goes for the UK but perhaps on a lesser scale. Whilst I do agree with Hayek's point, I don't think letting the inefficient firms fail would not be any good either, it would lead to a huge downfall, with high rates of non-employed, and if the people gots no moneys, how is the economy ever going to recover...

One day will the world trade with one currency?
I doubt. Plus conspiracy theorist nuts will be claiming it is part of the NWO. Would their be one government, or would all governments still exist? If, their were still different governments, there wouldn't be a level playing field, with different governments taxing different amounts, setting minimum wage at different levels and trade barriers and whatnot. If there was one government, it would be like the Soviet Union but worse >_<
That already exist in the sense of the EU, France for example has a minimum wage of €9.43 whereas Germany in principle does not have a set minimum wage and Spain apparently has it at €4.26 ... I do know it would cause an unfair playing field, initially. But say for example - I know this is far fetched, and sure as hell would never happen - Every nation, had more or less the same economy, yes some would be larger than others, but every nation had something that meant they did not struggle and taxation was although imposed by each nation at different rates, only differed by one or two percentages. Could it not worked then?

do you think there would be no borders and everyone would be free to travel from one to another without the need of a visa and whatnot?
Developed countries would get flooded with immigrants and we would see cities like London and New York turning into cities like Mumbai and Rio de Janeiro where there are massive slums full of migrating people looking for a better life. What results is poverty, disease and over
Not necessarily, if indeed a level playing field did exist, then yes the bigger cities would a population in search of a better life but what is to say the little cities couldn't be developed, that to me would make more sense, it would provide jobs and attract businesses, just as Rio is attracting wallets of businesses from every sect of the planet. And with a single currency, it doesn't stop someone in a little African village with millions to start constructing skyscrapers because of currency disadvantage when outsourcing the labour...

After all, the Earth in it's natural form has no country...
But many people have an attachment to their home land, their culture, their language etc... Earth in its natural form is not owned by people, yet a few landowners and big coporations own large swafts or land. I guess you could call them the bourgeoisie and they would not take kindly to your ideas.

I do know that many people have an attachment to their land etc, I sure as hell do envision going back to France and retire there :moon: As far as I'm concerned, the businesses can purchase a dildo and do what must be done with it.

Your views are somewhat utopian personally. I think we need to work on reducing the inequality between nations before any such plan as your could be embarked upon.
Utopian as they come really, we do indeed, but I don't think it'll ever be possible to reduce the inequality if such aspirations are not seen as a final goal. At the moment all seems to be temporary, new governments, same old ****.

Out of interest, which political ideology would you say you most agree with?

To tell you the truth, I don't know, I do not associate myself with any political party, I don't even care for party manifestos, my idea is, listen to what they all have to say when running for office and by my best judgement chose whomever I think would do a good job for not just me but for everyone. I do lean to the left on most issues and to the right on a few.

TL;DR, the more I read what I have just written, the more I feel like a lost cause... :holmes:
^ Posted the longest thread i've seen on this page!! :shock:
Reply 7024
Original post by ranbow99
^ Posted the longest thread i've seen on this page!! :shock:

That's not a thread, it's a post. :pierre:

How many glasses have you had today? :sly: Anyhow, ciao for now. Dinner is calling :biggrin:
Original post by ipoop
Keynes theories has worked in the past but I do believe the government should not have opted for his methods, or at least have a god damn plan "B"...Austerity sure as hell is not working, America is in **** loads of debt because it borrowed far to much to recover the economy, same goes for the UK but perhaps on a lesser scale. Whilst I do agree with Hayek's point, I don't think letting the inefficient firms fail would not be any good either, it would lead to a huge downfall, with high rates of non-employed, and if the people gots no moneys, how is the economy ever going to recover...

Long post in spoiler if you want to read :mmm: Sorry I am not very good at writing terse replies and so I must apologise that all my replies are so verbose >_<

Spoiler

(edited 11 years ago)
is having an intellectual conversation
is converse girl
Reply 7028
Is :sexface: And I would like to :hubba:
:ditto:
Erm guys if you guy re getting a bit you know go to a private area and do what ever because there are innocent minds around (big arrow pointing toward my self)
Original post by Converse girl
Erm guys if you guy re getting a bit you know go to a private area and do what ever because there are innocent minds around (big arrow pointing toward my self)

i like to declare my love openly
just like mad dog has openly admitted he watches :colone:
Original post by hasan4life
i like to declare my love openly
just like mad dog has openly admitted he watches :colone:

watches what? :confused:
it's a secret :shh:
it's a secret :shh:

I feel I'm missing something here.
Original post by The Mad Dog
I feel I'm missing something here.

:kiss: ring any bells?
:kiss: ring any bells?

Still totally confused.
Original post by The Mad Dog
Still totally confused.

:banana: u know the banana and the milkshake they met didn't they?
:banana: u know the banana and the milkshake they met didn't they?

:puke: :puke: :puke:
I'm guessing the McDonald's mayonnaise made a dash from the dot to the space. :wink:

Latest