The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Student life at lse??

Hey guys I will be studying in Lse next year. However I am quite unsure about student life, especially in London because there isn't actually a campus. Can anyone please describe their experience of university life in London? Best ways to make friends? Any tips on accommodation and things? Thanks!:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

I don't know about current student life there, but I as well will be going there next year, and I like making new friends! So count me in :smile:
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
I will be at LSE next year aswell. What degree will you be doing?
Also, consider the entire city of London as your campus. Theres loads to do plus LSE has an active Students Union with numerous societies and clubs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I'm in the same boat, obviously the main reason for going to university is the degree, but like anything, it'll be better if I could have fun along the way!
On the upside, I suppose it's a good sign that there is more than one of us thinking about social life at LSE?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I will be doing Law next year, and you?

iommi, I think student life is what I am most worried about. There are many rumours around about how student life at LSE is really bad and I really hope they aren't true.
Reply 5
I think the fact that everyone seems so worried about the social side of LSE rather indicates that there are more people who want to have a good time when they get there than people would have you believe :smile: I doubt anyone who actively seeks a typically sociable university experience will find LSE genuinely constraining in that respect
Reply 6
The problem is often associated with the high number of foreign students who are seen as unsocial. I am a little bit afraid of having flat mates like that...of course there will be social people and London is a great city..but what really determines social life is the people you live with right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Current first year undergrad checking in, feel free to direct questions at me
Original post by Ready4uni
The problem is often associated with the high number of foreign students who are seen as unsocial. I am a little bit afraid of having flat mates like that...of course there will be social people and London is a great city..but what really determines social life is the people you live with right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Most LSE halls don't have 'flats' the setup is just like a hotel, with a corridor full of rooms, so I wouldn't worry about that.
Reply 9
Original post by marcus2001

Hi, I was wondering if its true that certain halls are more sociable than others? I applied to the three northern ones (Passfield, Rosebury and Carr-Saunders) on this basis
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by apt9
Hi, I was wondering if its true that certain halls are more sociable than others? I applied to the three northern ones (Passfield, Rosebury and Carr-Saunders) on this basis

Yeah that's probably true, and I've heard that Carr Saunders and Rosebury in particular are social, more so than Bankside.
Reply 11

How have you personally found the social life at LSE? Also, is it easy/a good experience to be a student living in London? These are my two biggest concerns with LSE, if you could answer them that would so helpful, thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ready4uni

I'm a foreign study from Italy, I will most likely be sharing a room, and I can't wait to meet all of you guys. :smile:

I'm also wondering about student life at the LSE and would be grateful if you could answer a couple of questions. How great is the workload exactly? Does it get in the way of any kind of social life? I'm not a great clubber/drinker but I enjoy going out to cultural things/going to parks/going to cinema etc, and I'm certainly interested in societies. But does the workload prevent students doing these things as much as they'd like to? :s

And I don't know if you know anyone from UCL, but I'm torn between LSE and UCL. Do you happen to know if the workload at the LSE is that much greater than at UCL? Ahh decisions :P
Reply 14
I am definitely worried about the social life for LSE! I won't have the money to live in halls, so I'll be commuting everyday :frown: anyone know if this will affect my social life at LSE? (it is one of the main factors tearing me apart between Warwick and LSE).
Reply 15
Hey, so I've got offers to both LSE and Kings at the moment and am really unsure as to which one to choose! Social stuff is massively important to me, it keeps me sane. Can anyone help me out on what might be the best choice!?
Reply 16
Social stuff are pretty much going to be the same, so I firmed lse today purely because it has a better reputation lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by worldtreader
I'm a foreign study from Italy, I will most likely be sharing a room, and I can't wait to meet all of you guys. :smile:

I'm Italian too! But I've lived in England for a long time now, so I'm more English now! What are you studying?
Original post by iommi
How have you personally found the social life at LSE? Also, is it easy/a good experience to be a student living in London? These are my two biggest concerns with LSE, if you could answer them that would so helpful, thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

We shall have to attend Sabbath's new tour (here's hoping they do one!) What course did you apply for?
Reply 18
You're the first person to get my username, awesome! I hope they do do a tour, just not one with ticket prices like the Rolling Stones'...
I've got an offer for sociology, what have you applied for? I don't think I've come across anyone with another sociology offer from LSE yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by IAmAStegosaurus
I'm also wondering about student life at the LSE and would be grateful if you could answer a couple of questions. How great is the workload exactly? Does it get in the way of any kind of social life? I'm not a great clubber/drinker but I enjoy going out to cultural things/going to parks/going to cinema etc, and I'm certainly interested in societies. But does the workload prevent students doing these things as much as they'd like to? :s

And I don't know if you know anyone from UCL, but I'm torn between LSE and UCL. Do you happen to know if the workload at the LSE is that much greater than at UCL? Ahh decisions :P

Size of the workload depends on both the course, and how much work you want to do. If you want to make the most of absolutely every resource then you won't get much free time. But you don't need to do that to get a first, and yeah it won't get in the way of a social life (if you stay on top of it). And in short, no it doesn't prevent you from doing that kinda stuff. I had that choice to make as well and I choice LSE because it is a better uni for my course than UCL.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending