The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Musester
I think most Chelsea fans would. Yes, Terry is the club's captain and an inspirational leader-but Lampard's just as much that as Terry is and he oozes class on and off the pitch-whereas Terry is a bit of a knob.

Didn't FL say he wanted to score the goal that relegated WHU in his book, as well as a load of other attacks on his boyhood club that gave him his shot at a football career?

Wasnt FL one of the CFC players mocking Americans at Heathrow after 9/11?

This what passes for class down in SW6? :rolleyes:
Reply 101
Yeah and those were all things that happened over a decade ago. Get rid of your biased hate and appreciate that he isn't one of the flash it all modern footballers. If he's so bad that's why so many neutrals, and even people who hate Chelsea, realise his class.

Don't try and take the moral high ground when talking about class when you used to watch QPR.
whereas Terry is a bit of a knob.

You wouldn't say that if you knew him personally, gets a huge amount of bad press but from what I've seen (behind the scenes, interviews, etc, etc) he seems pretty decent.

Worth a watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7FwgXW2s1g
Reply 103
Tbh terry isn't really as bad as people make him out to be. Yes he said a racial slur but do you think he'd have done it if he wasn't provoked like suarez did?

Also who gives an honest **** if he banged his former teammates wife? Yeah it's a lack of class but really **** me man stop crying about it giggs done worse and you shouldn't lose the captaincy over something off the field like that. Unless england's players and manager all had a vote of confidence he should have stayed as england captain.

Although the racism case made his position as england captain untenable.
Original post by Zürich
Didn't FL say he wanted to score the goal that relegated WHU in his book, as well as a load of other attacks on his boyhood club that gave him his shot at a football career?

Wasnt FL one of the CFC players mocking Americans at Heathrow after 9/11?

This what passes for class down in SW6? :rolleyes:

Whilst I don't think that either Lampard or Terry are 'classy', I think you should do some research into how Lampard was treated by a considerable number of West Ham supporters - he recalls a few cheering as he got taken off with a broken leg. It's all very well talking sentimentally about a 'boyhood club' that gave him 'a shot at a football career', but that's only part of the issue and to suggest that Lampard should feel nothing but untrammelled gratitude towards West Ham is a little odd.

Of course, his behaviour at Heathrow was reprehensible and you shan't find me being anything other than censorious.
Original post by KingMessi
Whilst I don't think that either Lampard or Terry are 'classy', I think you should do some research into how Lampard was treated by a considerable number of West Ham supporters - he recalls a few cheering as he got taken off with a broken leg. It's all very well talking sentimentally about a 'boyhood club' that gave him 'a shot at a football career', but that's only part of the issue and to suggest that Lampard should feel nothing but untrammelled gratitude towards West Ham is a little odd.

Of course, his behaviour at Heathrow was reprehensible and you shan't find me being anything other than censorious.

Lots of players look back on their time at a previous club with less than fond memories but I wouldn't say FL is dignified or classy in his dealings with WHU. Even if a few fans booed him(which I very much doubt, especially at WHU) I'm not sure that he needed to swear a vendetta against a club that did a lot for him, his boyhood club.

I think its obvious that Frankie is just upset that his old man was sacked as assistant manager along with 'Arry in 2001 by West Ham. Pretty petty tbh.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 106
Original post by Zürich
Lots of players look back on their time at a previous club with less than fond memories but I wouldn't say FL is dignified or classy in his dealings with WHU. Even if a few fans booed him(which I very much doubt, especially at WHU) I'm not sure that he needed to swear a vendetta against a club that did a lot for him, his boyhood club.

I think its obvious that Frankie is just upset that his old man was sacked as assistant manager along with 'Arry in 2001 by West Ham. Pretty petty tbh.

Oh and Arsenal fans don't get butthurt when their players leave? No, not at all. Jesus how I wish I could downvote every post that you make on here.
Oh and Arsenal fans don't get butthurt when their players leave?

Nah, they're so used to it by now that they just accept their inevitable, painful decline from the top tier to the lower levels of English football.

Frank Lampard is a top player and person, quite frankly I couldn't pick out a better professional in the game than him. I'm honoured to have seen him play for the past 12 years for the club I love.
Oscar has just scored an excellent goal for Brazil. :smile:
Reply 109
Oscar has just scored an excellent goal for Brazil. :smile:

Nothing compared to what Mario just did...

Pretty good match, Oscar hasn't done much second half though, but was good in the first.

On a side note glad we didn't get Hulk, he's having an absolute shocker.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 110
Original post by Tweek

Pretty good match, Oscar hasn't done much second half though, but was good in the first.

Really good goal by Mario and its been a really good match.
Reply 111

haha i'd so go for this if it wasn't for stupid A-levels !! :angry:
Original post by Tweek

No, of course not - a brilliant goal from a capriciously brilliant player.

Hulk was almost anonymous, but it is better not to judge a player based on an international friendly - remember how people criticized Hazard after an underwhelming performance against England this summer? Look at him now.
Reply 114
No, of course not - a brilliant goal from a capriciously brilliant player.

Hulk was almost anonymous, but it is better not to judge a player based on an international friendly - remember how people criticized Hazard after an underwhelming performance against England this summer? Look at him now.

I know, credit to Mancini for recognising he needed to go back to Italy even though he clearly had a strong attachment to the guy.

Not just based on this game but a lot of the times I've seen him he's been quite inconsistent. And hazard wasn't all that bad against England, it was just because he didn't do outrageous tricks or score. However Hulk seemed awful this game. He had a good chance to regain the lead at one point and tripped over the ball. His control was pretty poor too.
I don't know why any top player would want to go to Russia to play football, dreadful place which is hardly renowned for it's football. Not to mention racism is widespread there.
Original post by Cannotbelieveit
I don't know why any top player would want to go to Russia to play football, dreadful place which is hardly renowned for it's football. Not to mention racism is widespread there.

Money, of course. I suppose I would put up with racism for a year or two if I was being paid £300,000 a week (which, as far as I recall, is what Eto'o was/is on).
Reply 117
Hulk said the only reason he went to Zenit was for the money.
Hulk said the only reason he went to Zenit was for the money.

What an honest young man.
Great Frank Lampard video here:

[video="youtube;8SIz8bGaL2g"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SIz8bGaL2g&list=LLYbXihYv52VJ_ga1mTA_ZNQ[/video]

He's also captaining England tonight!
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest