The Student Room Group

Birth order and relationships

Can you post in the thread please, those who have relationships obviously.

Your birth order and sex, your partners birth order and sex.

Just a bit of research.

I read something incidentally which says the most succesful relationships are first born females and last born males(especially when the sex of each partners siblings mathces the partner too)
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Boyfriend: 19
Me (girl): 18
We're both first born, boyfriend and I had younger brother each. Ended disastrously.
Reply 3
Original post by Skyelight
Boyfriend: 19
Me (girl): 18

Birth order, not age.
Reply 4
Both first born. Both have younger sisters. It's the 10th anniversary of our first date this Friday (and we're still together in case that isn't obvious).
Reply 5
Original post by Crumpet1
Both first born. Both have younger sisters. It's the 10th anniversary of our first date this Friday (and we're still together in case that isn't obvious).

What about other relationships, I'm looking for all that people have had so I can get an idea.
Reply 6
Im first born with one little brother and he is last born with 2 older brothers...
Reply 7
I'm firstborn (in fact my younger brother is adopted) and so is my boyfriend (who also has a younger brother a couple of years older than mine).

In fact my other two serious relationships were with first borns too.

Surely you would need to know how well these relationships were going/how long term they are to judge anything?
Reply 8
Original post by redferry
I'm firstborn (in fact my younger brother is adopted) and so is my boyfriend (who also has a younger brother a couple of years older than mine).

Surely you would need to know how well these relationships were going/how long term they are to judge anything?

Yeah, didn't I post that? If so, that's what I want to know, which ones failed and succeeded, and what the order was.
Reply 9
I'm second, one older sister and a younger (half) brother and sister. He is the eldest of four (two sisters and a brother). Been together 4 years this easter.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
oh ok well I have had
1st relationship: both first born, failed after 18 months
2nd: same, failed after 2 years
3rd: Nothing serious, he was an only child, lasted a few months
4th: The same scenario
5th: The same scenario
6th: Similar, lasted around 6 months and he had an older sister
Current: Both first borns going strong 1 year in, pretty perfect relatioship (although would have said that about guy 2 at the time)

Seems my relationships work best with fellow first children. Or just suck with only children!
Reply 11
Or just suck with only children!

It's only child/only child relationships that have the highest divorce rate apparently.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Chillaxer
Can you post in the thread please, those who have relationships obviously.

Your birth order and sex, your partners birth order and sex.

Just a bit of research.

I read something incidentally which says the most succesful relationships are first born females and last born males(especially when the sex of each partners siblings mathces the partner too)

I'm the eldest out of a family of 4 girls and my boyfriend's the youngest in a two child family.
Both first born, I have a brother 5 years younger and he has a sister 3 years younger. I am 2 years younger than him if that is relevant.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
oh ok well I have had
1st relationship: both first born, failed after 18 months
2nd: same, failed after 2 years
3rd: Nothing serious, he was an only child, lasted a few months
4th: The same scenario
5th: The same scenario
6th: Similar, lasted around 6 months and he had an older sister
Current: Both first borns going strong 1 year in, pretty perfect relatioship (although would have said that about guy 2 at the time)

Seems my relationships work best with fellow first children. Or just suck with only children!

No pattern at all.
I'm the first-born with two younger brothers (I am female).
My boyfriend is the youngest with an older sister.
We've been together a year.

My mom is the middle child with two older sisters, a younger sister, and a younger brother.
My dad is the first-born with a younger brother and a younger sister.
My parents are still together and have been for over 25 years.
Male, first, 1 relationship, lasted about 3 months
Younger sister in a relationship for a year or something now
Me: Male, 1st born (two younger brothers)
Gf: Female, 1st born (only child)

I read something incidentally which says the most succesful relationships are first born females and last born males(especially when the sex of each partners siblings matches the partner too)

Does this mean we're doomed? It was all going so well...
Reply 18
Only child. Every single one of my boyfriends has been an only child or eldest sibling. My most successful (and current) relationship is with an eldest sibling. Funnily enough, an overwhelming majority of my friends are only children or eldest siblings too. I can only think of three close friends across the course of my life (out of maybe 30-ish total close friends) who have older siblings. This isn't intentional and I have no idea what it means or why it happened, but there you go.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Pastaferian
Me: Male, 1st born (two younger brothers)
Gf: Female, 1st born (only child)

Does this mean we're doomed? It was all going so well...

No, only is different. Some things say an only with last born is best, but the poster below, and many on the web, say they prefer the maturity of first borns.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending