The Student Room Group

A Level Revision

Hey there! Currently in yr. 12 and was wondering on a weekday how long should you study for? (Btw not including homework etc.) And yeh just a few pointers on the best ways to revise. Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Depends what time of year it is.
When I was studying for my A level maths I did a past paper or two a day and I managed to get a A in the end.
When it comes to exams, you'll know when you have done enough revision.
You need to do a lot more work for As Levels and A levels than GCSE level though!
You'll get the hang of it, just do as much as you feel you need to do.
Good luck with 6th form, its hard work but its one of the most amazing times of your life!
Reply 2
I would spend an hour and half per subject Mon-Fri, next Saturday off and decide on a reasonable timetable got Sunday :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
On a weekday I would say 2 hours studying on a weekday, I find past questions work the best :smile:
Totally depends on your own needs i.e. how much studying you can take before you need a break, how much revision you actually need to do in order to feel/be prepared for the exam, your revision techniques, etc.

I started seriously revising last week because I have six A2 exams and from too much experience I learnt that writing notes wastes too much time so I'm writing all my notes this month and memorising them until the exam. (Memorising notes is my primary revision technique.) I allow two days for one exam and revise for about 5-6 hours a day. (It would be more but I get distracted A LOT. Like now. :redface:) During the holidays and study leave I'll be getting a lot more hours of revision in. I'd suggest you don't put yourself through this amount of work unless you can take it. The only reason I'm able to do so much is because I enjoy my subjects (RS, English Lit and Psych) and god knows if I didn't enjoy them then there's no way in hell I'd put this much effort in.
Reply 5
Original post by reedA93
Depends what time of year it is.
When I was studying for my A level maths I did a past paper or two a day and I managed to get a A in the end.
When it comes to exams, you'll know when you have done enough revision.
You need to do a lot more work for As Levels and A levels than GCSE level though!
You'll get the hang of it, just do as much as you feel you need to do.
Good luck with 6th form, its hard work but its one of the most amazing times of your life!

Hi there, I am studying for ASLevel Maths, I got an A at GCSE but however I did not initially decide to take up Mathematics but around mid January I had a sudden change of career plan and decided I needed Mathematics at Alevel! So I took a risk and dropped the subject I picked to do Maths.

I have been really committed since I made the choice of dropping my other subject and taking it up. I have been doing 1.5/2hours a night consistently since January time!

I am also self teaching. I am scoring low Bs in all the past papers currently. Is this good or bad? It's very hard for me to judge as I am not from a Maths class... around this time what were you getting in pastpapers? :smile: thanks (wow that was very long haha, I waffle a lot :rolleyes:)
Original post by madfish
Hi there, I am studying for ASLevel Maths, I got an A at GCSE but however I did not initially decide to take up Mathematics but around mid January I had a sudden change of career plan and decided I needed Mathematics at Alevel! So I took a risk and dropped the subject I picked to do Maths.

I have been really committed since I made the choice of dropping my other subject and taking it up. I have been doing 1.5/2hours a night consistently since January time!

I am also self teaching. I am scoring low Bs in all the past papers currently. Is this good or bad? It's very hard for me to judge as I am not from a Maths class... around this time what were you getting in pastpapers? :smile: thanks (wow that was very long haha, I waffle a lot :rolleyes:)

You should try to aim for 60/75 or above :smile: btw which exam board are you doing? What applied maths you doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by That_Clever_Guy
You should try to aim for 60/75 or above :smile: btw which exam board are you doing? What applied maths you doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

M1 and NICCEA

Thanks dude, I think I should be able to hit that by the end of easter holidays :smile:
Original post by madfish
M1 and NICCEA

Thanks dude, I think I should be able to hit that by the end of easter holidays :smile:

No worries mate if you need help i can help with C1 and C2 and bits of M1 but otherwise good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm taking maths, biology and chemistry A2 and I have 7 exams in the summer so I'm struggling to fit it all in so I made a realistic timetable where I do 2 hours per resit (i have five) per week and 3 hours per final exam per week - over easter and study leave I will double this, and then starting 6 weeks before the exam I will do 2 past papers pet week per exam, as well as my set aside revision - if you want me to email you my timetable I'm more than happy - just pm me, urm I think that's it, hope it made sense :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alicevictoriaxxx
I'm taking maths, biology and chemistry A2 and I have 7 exams in the summer so I'm struggling to fit it all in so I made a realistic timetable where I do 2 hours per resit (i have five) per week and 3 hours per final exam per week - over easter and study leave I will double this, and then starting 6 weeks before the exam I will do 2 past papers pet week per exam, as well as my set aside revision - if you want me to email you my timetable I'm more than happy - just pm me, urm I think that's it, hope it made sense :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for that :smile: atm i do about 2-3 hours per day excluding homework so yeh but thanks again :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for that :smile: atm i do about 2-3 hours per day excluding homework so yeh but thanks again :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

with that timetable i average 2.7 hours a day (5.4 in the holidays) but i do more on some days and have others where i do nothing - i feel i work better like that :smile:
Reply 12
I will be doing 6 hours minimum over easter
Reply 13
I'm in year 12 too, doing biology, chemistry, physics and maths, with 6 exams this summer

I haven't started revising yet, but I'm a procrastinator so I reckon now is a good time to start. I would suggest that you print off all the specifications/ go over the work you have done so far and write down a list of everything you aren't sure about. See all your teachers about it before the easter holidays then spend some of the holiday going over it.

Including homework ( which in my eyes is exam prep anyway) I would say 2 hours per night if you have a good memory , 3 if you don't. Have a night off one day a week, mine is Friday :-) . At weekends step it up to maybe 3-4 hours each day. Close to the exam (1 -2 weeks before) just focus on fine tuning exam technique with past papers, mark schemes, and examiners reports.

Don't overdo it and burn out. Not all of us are 100% motivated all the time and spending too long cooped up will definitely make you lose it fast ( learned this the hard way ) Mix work with relaxation. Get plenty of sleep. Exams are important but not worth risking your health over.
Reply 14
Original post by LilyElise
I'm in year 12 too, doing biology, chemistry, physics and maths, with 6 exams this summer

I haven't started revising yet, but I'm a procrastinator so I reckon now is a good time to start. I would suggest that you print off all the specifications/ go over the work you have done so far and write down a list of everything you aren't sure about. See all your teachers about it before the easter holidays then spend some of the holiday going over it.

Including homework ( which in my eyes is exam prep anyway) I would say 2 hours per night if you have a good memory , 3 if you don't. Have a night off one day a week, mine is Friday :-) . At weekends step it up to maybe 3-4 hours each day. Close to the exam (1 -2 weeks before) just focus on fine tuning exam technique with past papers, mark schemes, and examiners reports.

Don't overdo it and burn out. Not all of us are 100% motivated all the time and spending too long cooped up will definitely make you lose it fast ( learned this the hard way ) Mix work with relaxation. Get plenty of sleep. Exams are important but not worth risking your health over.

ahh dude great advice , thanks :smile:

i have 8 exams :smile:
Yeh thanks :smile: brilliant advice :smile: i got all the specifications for all my exams and yeh i have almost finished my maths module (couple of exercises left for C2 and S1) so i can start past papers by easter holidays :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Yeh thanks :smile: brilliant advice :smile: i got all the specifications for all my exams and yeh i have almost finished my maths module (couple of exercises left for C2 and S1) so i can start past papers by easter holidays :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

do you just do all the questions in the book?:smile: Or just the review ones?:smile:
Original post by madfish
do you just do all the questions in the book?:smile: Or just the review ones?:smile:

Depends on how confident i am on that topic :smile: but i end up doing the most questions as homework but i always the the mixed exercise and review exercise for revision :smile: btw what maths board do you do??

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
I found that using Microsoft one note has really helped my revision... You can lay out what you need to learn and create a little checklist for yourself! I love it. I've got a page for each A level and its great having organised structure to revision

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending