The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Modern languages offers

Hello,

I applied for modern languages (German and Italian) at St Andrews, and haven't yet received an offer/rejection. Is anybody else in the same boat? Have any of you lucky people got offers yet? :wink:

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by AllesWirdGut
Hello,

I applied for modern languages (German and Italian) at St Andrews, and haven't yet received an offer/rejection. Is anybody else in the same boat? Have any of you lucky people got offers yet? :wink:

Thanks.

I'm still waiting for German and Russian :frown: where else did you apply? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
I think I may ring them up on Monday and find out what's happening! Nobody really seems to have offers. Don't know what's happening! I applied to Oxford, Bath, Birmingham and Warwick as well as St Andrews. What about you? :smile:
Reply 3
I think I may ring them up on Monday and find out what's happening! Nobody really seems to have offers. Don't know what's happening! I applied to Oxford, Bath, Birmingham and Warwick as well as St Andrews. What about you? :smile:

So annoying isn't it! Birmingham, Bristol, Exeter and Nottingham as well as St Andrews :smile: not a clue where to go though D: where are you thinking for firm and insurance atm?
Reply 4
I'm ona gap year at the moment, and am probably going to firm Oxford, but I'd like to hear back from everyone so I can make a good choice. What about you? And Nottingham is wonderful :biggrin:
Reply 5
I'm ona gap year at the moment, and am probably going to firm Oxford, but I'd like to hear back from everyone so I can make a good choice. What about you? And Nottingham is wonderful :biggrin:

Wow! I'd have killed for an Oxford offer haha. I thought I wanted to go to Exeter but since all the visit days I think I like Bristol and Nottingham better, but then there's St Andrews to consider if they make me an offer, aahh too much choice D: which Oxford college btw?
Reply 6
I haven't been to Exeter before - it's a long way as I live in Nottingham. I don't know what's taking them so long. Do you live down south? And Pembroke :smile:
Reply 7
I haven't been to Exeter before - it's a long way as I live in Nottingham. I don't know what's taking them so long. Do you live down south? And Pembroke :smile:

Ahh yeah it is! It's a small but pretty city, very hilly though :P yep, I'm from Reading and even from here it's a 3 hour drive to Exeter. My mum's family are from Coventry though so got roots in the Midlands. That college is so pretty! Back when my grades were good I was set on Univ. Got a friend at Christ Church, go up whenever I can to see the Harry Potter college :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I applied to English and Spanish late (just last month) and received my offer on March 12th, might be because I'm international though?
Reply 9
Original post by hannah_lou
I'm still waiting for German and Russian :frown: where else did you apply? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've applied for Arabic, German and Russian, still waiting. Good luck to you, too!
Original post by alunaverde
I've applied for Arabic, German and Russian, still waiting. Good luck to you, too!

Ahh possible classmate then! Such a good combination, where else did you apply? :smile: and good luck to you as well :biggrin:
Ahh possible classmate then! Such a good combination, where else did you apply? :smile: and good luck to you as well :biggrin:

Spasiba! Well, everyone keeps saying that the Arabic-Russian part of the combination is sort of a suicide pill, but I am so looking forward to it!

Cambridge-rejection, Edinburgh-rejection (they said it was because of my grades which was a bit strange so I appealed, waiting for the answer now) and offers from Glasgow and Manchester
Do you plan on taking Russian ab initio?
Spasiba! Well, everyone keeps saying that the Arabic-Russian part of the combination is sort of a suicide pill, but I am so looking forward to it!

Cambridge-rejection, Edinburgh-rejection (they said it was because of my grades which was a bit strange so I appealed, waiting for the answer now) and offers from Glasgow and Manchester
Do you plan on taking Russian ab initio?

Pozhalsta. Ahh well I wouldn't worry too much about those rejections, is it Edinburgh or Cambridge you are appealing? And tbh that course seems more exciting than anything else :smile: congrats on your offers btw! Yes, I will be taking it ab initio, how about you?
Pozhalsta. Ahh well I wouldn't worry too much about those rejections, is it Edinburgh or Cambridge you are appealing? And tbh that course seems more exciting than anything else :smile: congrats on your offers btw! Yes, I will be taking it ab initio, how about you?

Edinburgh :smile: I've already sent the letter. Well, I know the reason for their rejection was the fact that I do not have an A-Level in German but I am from Romania and I don't have the option to choose German as a subject for our leaving examinations although I've been studying it as a school subject for 8 years, taking part in German competitions, the Olympiad, extracurricular activities involving my DE language skills, and so on and so forth. I just don't understand why the simple lack of a formal qualification could stand in the way to my admission (I'm going to take the Goethe Zertifikat C1 next month, but it seems not to be enough), that is why I appealed. After all, it is not my fault that I can't take the official exam, although I do have the skills. Well, sorry for the long whiny post.

Edinburgh's reason for rejection makes me nervous for what St Andrews are going to do next... Given that my top two options have said no, ST And's is next in the row, and Manchester would be great, but it's way too expensive...

Hehe, ikr, it seems so exciting, and I've found out during my Cam interviews that there are way more connections between the Arab world and Russian than I could've thought of. Ab initio, hence the "killer" side of it. I do know some Russian words and isolated phrases, but that's all.
Edinburgh :smile: I've already sent the letter. Well, I know the reason for their rejection was the fact that I do not have an A-Level in German but I am from Romania and I don't have the option to choose German as a subject for our leaving examinations although I've been studying it as a school subject for 8 years, taking part in German competitions, the Olympiad, extracurricular activities involving my DE language skills, and so on and so forth. I just don't understand why the simple lack of a formal qualification could stand in the way to my admission (I'm going to take the Goethe Zertifikat C1 next month, but it seems not to be enough), that is why I appealed. After all, it is not my fault that I can't take the official exam, although I do have the skills. Well, sorry for the long whiny post.

Edinburgh's reason for rejection makes me nervous for what St Andrews are going to do next... Given that my top two options have said no, ST And's is next in the row, and Manchester would be great, but it's way too expensive...

Hehe, ikr, it seems so exciting, and I've found out during my Cam interviews that there are way more connections between the Arab world and Russian than I could've thought of. Ab initio, hence the "killer" side of it. I do know some Russian words and isolated phrases, but that's all.

Ahh in that case it does seem a bit strange, however these high-ranking universities are incredibly selective. I'm part Eastern European too, as my grandad comes from Lithuania, should set us up well for learning Russian. I know how you feel as my application to St Andrews was risky as I sat an A2 last year and doing 2 this year, which they don't really like. Well the further north in England you go, the cheaper it tends to be. The southern uni's I have applied to are sooo expensive for accommodation :frown: Ahh well employers will be pleased that you have gone to the effort to learn these difficult languages, particularly ab initio. Should hear from St A by end of next week hopefully, so good luck! :biggrin:
As I've seen on the offer holders thread, there have been offers for French, Spanish and (oh, the horror, the horror) Arabic (with IR). It's going to be soon... :eek:
As I've seen on the offer holders thread, there have been offers for French, Spanish and (oh, the horror, the horror) Arabic (with IR). It's going to be soon... :eek:

Oohhh hopefully very soon :O

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Fingers crossed :smile:
Reply 19
Got an offer today when I checked track! The email came at about 7:45, though....

Hope everybody has had good news!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending