The Student Room Group

Working Out Non-Integer Orders of Reaction? (F336 Individual Investigation)

Hellooo

So I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out the order of reaction for an experiment I've been doing in chemistry. It's a simple Mg + HCl reaction and as part of my investigation I need to determine the rate equation with respect to Hydrochloric Acid.

I've been using the initial rates method, however all the theoretical stuff I've done on the rate equation has involved the initial rate either doubling or quadrupling exactly when the concentration of acid is doubled. My results are nothing like what I've looked at in text books and I have no idea how to figure out the order (I'm guessing it's going to be non-integer).

My initial rate for 0.5 mol HCl is 9cm3 s-1
My initial rate for 1 mol HCl is 13.5 cm3 s-1

Can anyone help me figure this out?
Original post by BioIz
Hellooo

So I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out the order of reaction for an experiment I've been doing in chemistry. It's a simple Mg + HCl reaction and as part of my investigation I need to determine the rate equation with respect to Hydrochloric Acid.

I've been using the initial rates method, however all the theoretical stuff I've done on the rate equation has involved the initial rate either doubling or quadrupling exactly when the concentration of acid is doubled. My results are nothing like what I've looked at in text books and I have no idea how to figure out the order (I'm guessing it's going to be non-integer).

My initial rate for 0.5 mol HCl is 9cm3 s-1
My initial rate for 1 mol HCl is 13.5 cm3 s-1

Can anyone help me figure this out?

Given the usual experimental inaccuracies and the fact that you have only two pieces of data, it is highly likely that your data is unreliable, i.e. one or both cannot be trusted . If you are looking to find out by experiment the absolute mininum number of data points is 3. The more, the better.
Reply 2
Original post by charco
Given the usual experimental inaccuracies and the fact that you have only two pieces of data, it is highly likely that your data is unreliable, i.e. one or both cannot be trusted . If you are looking to find out by experiment the absolute mininum number of data points is 3. The more, the better.

I did repeat 5 times, those numbers are averages

Quick Reply

Latest