The Student Room Group

I dont play much sport.. what could i do at uni?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ArcadiaHouse
I'm thinking of trying lacrosse; can you just turn up during the year? I'm scared of making a tit out of myself if I go along to their practice night next week and I'm rubbish at it. :frown: I know that's pretty likely as the rules are meant to be complicated, but I'm looking for a university sports club to join, not humiliation. :colondollar:

Even if you do make a tit of yourself go for it. You might not make the team this year but if you keep going your gonna improve. Maybe they even have like a rookie day to help the new people out. Who knows you might end up being good eh :tongue: just maybe look up the rules to get an idea of what to do,

I went along to an American football practice and sure as hell I was worried I was gonna make myself look silly because Im 5 ft 7, I was absolutely tiny compared to everyone else and yes I got hit pretty damn hard which was funny to a few people but I got back up and kept going. At the end they liked what they saw they saw and got me to come back.

Just go for it I say.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Malevolent
Even if you do make a tit of yourself go for it. You might not make the team this year but if you keep going your gonna improve. Maybe they even have like a rookie day to help the new people out. Who knows you might end up being good eh :tongue: just maybe look up the rules to get an idea of what to do,

I went along to an American football practice and sure as hell I was worried I was gonna make myself look silly because Im 5 ft 7, I was absolutely tiny compared to everyone else and yes I got hit pretty damn hard which was funny to a few people but I got back up and kept going. At the end they liked what they saw they saw and got me to come back.

Just go for it I say.

Thank you. It's just, I'm graduating next year and don't want to be like, "Why didn't I join a sports club?" I want to try a bit of everything. I am not particularly sporty, I am not a fast runner but I am willing to learn and improve. I also want to make more friends outside my course.

I liked hockey and badminton at school but the hockey team at uni looks too competitive and intense; lacrosse looks much more welcoming and laid-back, while actually winning stuff too. :tongue:

(Also I want a cool club hoodie :awesome:).
x

First time playing lacrosse tonight! :fight:

:colone:

Good luck and have fun! Tell me how it went :smile:

Knock 'em dead :biggrin:

I've been a fan of American Football for years so I'll probs sign up to my uni team - even if I am an unfit SOB :tongue:
This is why I need to get down the gym...
Good luck and have fun! Tell me how it went :smile:

British-Student
x

Thanks! It was soooo much fun! I was told I was very good at throwing for a first-timer. I even caught the ball a couple of times, which is quite hard, and checked someone on the opposing team so she dropped the ball. :biggrin:

That was their last session until September though. :cry2:
Reply 26
Original post by connormilton
I don't play much sport. Feel like I maybe need to get into something at uni but I'm not really a skilled player. Can anyone recommend something I could get into. Cheers.

hi

Have you considered badminton? Its really easy and cheap to start if you have never played before, its really sociable and loads of fun :smile:

Hope this helps :biggrin:
Original post by connormilton
I don't play much sport. Feel like I maybe need to get into something at uni but I'm not really a skilled player. Can anyone recommend something I could get into. Cheers.

FENCING!

Seriously. Last year I was incredibly unfit and inflexible. Thanks to fencing I keep a slim physique and can eat what the hell I want. I lost a stone just in the first couple of months of starting it. Now I'm nearly 2 stone lighter. I'm also now able to do the splits (which I'd never been able to do before). And I'm able to run for miles further. And i just feel generally a million times fitter.
Thanks! It was soooo much fun! I was told I was very good at throwing for a first-timer. I even caught the ball a couple of times, which is quite hard, and checked someone on the opposing team so she dropped the ball. :biggrin:

That was their last session until September though. :cry2:

At least you've got the taste for it now, and you know you're good at it! Well done!
Reply 29
Original post by alice456
hi

Have you considered badminton? Its really easy and cheap to start if you have never played before, its really sociable and loads of fun :smile:

Hope this helps :biggrin:

Couldn't agree more :smile:, i just wish i knew people who liked it as much as me
Rowing!

You'd be in a boat of novices when you start and you all learn together, so the team atmosphere and social side is great! It's also really good for fitness, and also very technical - you see improvements in yourself and your crew every time you go out as you get each little bit of technique sorted out, it's great fun!

Quick Reply

Latest