The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

York/Durham

Hi, is anyone currently trying to choose between York and Durham? Or has anyone already made this choice? I'm really struggling and it'd be nice to know someone else was in the same boat :/

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by boredbeth13
Hi, is anyone currently trying to choose between York and Durham? Or has anyone already made this choice? I'm really struggling and it'd be nice to know someone else was in the same boat :/

Yep, it's between Durham and York for me to firm, having a hard time deciding. Leaning more towards Durham, but we'll see after the post application day :smile: Studying psychology, yourself?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Boro123
Yep, it's between Durham and York for me to firm, having a hard time deciding. Leaning more towards Durham, but we'll see after the post application day :smile: Studying psychology, yourself?

I was leaning towards Durham for a while, then York, and now I'm just confused so hopefully I can make it to the Durham applicant day next week since I've only seen it once and I've seen York twice. I'm worried that I still won't know what I want after that though. And I'm studying sociology :smile: Have you been allocated a Durham college?
Reply 3
I was leaning towards Durham for a while, then York, and now I'm just confused so hopefully I can make it to the Durham applicant day next week since I've only seen it once and I've seen York twice. I'm worried that I still won't know what I want after that though. And I'm studying sociology :smile: Have you been allocated a Durham college?

Yuhuh, staying at Trevs on the 19th over to the 20th, really seemed likemy kind of place, which attracted me to it. Do you have a college? I know York has colleges, but they seem little more thn accommodation to me, whilst im properly obsessing over Trevs lol
Reply 4
Original post by Boro123
Yuhuh, staying at Trevs on the 19th over to the 20th, really seemed likemy kind of place, which attracted me to it. Do you have a college? I know York has colleges, but they seem little more thn accommodation to me, whilst im properly obsessing over Trevs lol

Yeah Trevs seems like a nice, friendly one, whereas I'm sort of regretting my choice of University College. I'm proud of myself for getting a place but I know it has a reputation for having the most 'rahs' and I'm definitely nothing close to that, so I'm worried I won't make the kinds of friends I could make at York. And yeah I do see York colleges quite different to Durham colleges, and I have no idea which one I'd choose if I ended up firming York. I do like the accommodation though, from what I've seen at open days.
Reply 5
Yeah Trevs seems like a nice, friendly one, whereas I'm sort of regretting my choice of University College. I'm proud of myself for getting a place but I know it has a reputation for having the most 'rahs' and I'm definitely nothing close to that, so I'm worried I won't make the kinds of friends I could make at York. And yeah I do see York colleges quite different to Durham colleges, and I have no idea which one I'd choose if I ended up firming York. I do like the accommodation though, from what I've seen at open days.

Deffo right about York, very tempting with the prospects of an ensuite lol. I was very pleased with Trevs because it seemed so down to earth, but I read a really good point about college applications. So many people apply to bailey colleges and are allocated elsewhere, so there are a proportions of 'rahs' wherever you go, so I imagine things are more diverse than they seem. I am the complete opposite of posh and the snobby reputation of Durham used to put me off, but I've realised it doesn't matter. It's just different, if I make the effort to be social able ill be alright :smile: Besides, any good university will have its share, so the same applies to York.
Reply 6
Original post by Boro123
Deffo right about York, very tempting with the prospects of an ensuite lol. I was very pleased with Trevs because it seemed so down to earth, but I read a really good point about college applications. So many people apply to bailey colleges and are allocated elsewhere, so there are a proportions of 'rahs' wherever you go, so I imagine things are more diverse than they seem. I am the complete opposite of posh and the snobby reputation of Durham used to put me off, but I've realised it doesn't matter. It's just different, if I make the effort to be social able ill be alright :smile: Besides, any good university will have its share, so the same applies to York.

Yeah definitely, I keep thinking I should have applied to Josephine Butler for the ensuites and self-catering! And that's a good point, but I think I'll always be a bit worried about that side of things -the social life. I couldn't help myself and ended up looking at what happened at freshers' week last year at York and it looked so fun, and I always get the feeling that Durham doesn't have as much of that 'normal', typical student fun going on.
Reply 7
Yeah definitely, I keep thinking I should have applied to Josephine Butler for the ensuites and self-catering! And that's a good point, but I think I'll always be a bit worried about that side of things -the social life. I couldn't help myself and ended up looking at what happened at freshers' week last year at York and it looked so fun, and I always get the feeling that Durham doesn't have as much of that 'normal', typical student fun going on.

I get that, but people often consider York quiet too. I think with the exception of Oxford or Cambridge, with their intense workloads; you could have a typical student experience anywhere, subject depending (I imagine Medics to do their own thing, might be wrong lol). Still, I'm hoping to go out on the night of post app day, could confirm or improve our suspicions :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Boro123
I get that, but people often consider York quiet too. I think with the exception of Oxford or Cambridge, with their intense workloads; you could have a typical student experience anywhere, subject depending (I imagine Medics to do their own thing, might be wrong lol). Still, I'm hoping to go out on the night of post app day, could confirm or improve our suspicions :smile:

Yeah I'm sure I'll enjoy myself wherever I end up. It's just so scary to have to make this decision :/ Haha you'll have to tell me how that goes!
Reply 9
Just got back from Durham post app days- 100% firming Durham and insuring York. Loved my college, had great time, department looked class... deffo Durham :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Boro123
Just got back from Durham post app days- 100% firming Durham and insuring York. Loved my college, had great time, department looked class... deffo Durham :smile:

I'm so jealous, the day didn't help me make my mind up at all! But I'm happy for you because it must be such a relief :smile: I really liked my department but I'm still not sure if I'm supposed to spend the next year in that college. I didn't stay overnight -I only went for the second day- so I guess I didn't get as good an insight as I could have
Reply 11
I'm so jealous, the day didn't help me make my mind up at all! But I'm happy for you because it must be such a relief :smile: I really liked my department but I'm still not sure if I'm supposed to spend the next year in that college. I didn't stay overnight -I only went for the second day- so I guess I didn't get as good an insight as I could have

I heard the Castle lot had fun and games that night, not that Trevs didn't lol. Sure, tours are great, but I think your bang on as staying overnight would be a better measure of the college. It's a pretty cool thing for Durham to have, and I'm sure they want to sell that to potential students.

So, how does it compare to York now?
Reply 12

I was at Castle on Tuesday/Wednesday, and I really don't think you would regret staying at castle, it's brilliant! :smile: Did you have a look at the JCR and undercroft bar while you were there? They're both really nice :tongue: I've spoken to a few of the current students, and most of them say that Durham's nightlife is okay, although it does have europes worst nightclub :wink: I don't think you would be missing out on the fun student experience if you went to Durham :smile: Castle does have some weird things like formals with gowns twice a week, which is mad, but apparently really fun!
Reply 13
Original post by kingkong95
I was at Castle on Tuesday/Wednesday, and I really don't think you would regret staying at castle, it's brilliant! :smile: Did you have a look at the JCR and undercroft bar while you were there? They're both really nice :tongue: I've spoken to a few of the current students, and most of them say that Durham's nightlife is okay, although it does have europes worst nightclub :wink: I don't think you would be missing out on the fun student experience if you went to Durham :smile: Castle does have some weird things like formals with gowns twice a week, which is mad, but apparently really fun!

Whilst I'm no follower of formality, I'll back this up- Durham is certainly fun! Plus having klute (worst nightclub in Europe) is a plus in my book. Que the flashbacks to school discos lol. I saw some of the castle lot in town- some wore suits, but otherwise they seemed alright.
Reply 14
Original post by Boro123
Whilst I'm no follower of formality, I'll back this up- Durham is certainly fun! Plus having klute (worst nightclub in Europe) is a plus in my book. Que the flashbacks to school discos lol. I saw some of the castle lot in town- some wore suits, but otherwise they seemed alright.

Haha yeah, klute sounds like a good place to go for a laugh! The students I spoke to say that you learn to love it, probably because it's so bad! :tongue:

Was that between midnight and two ish at the Loveshack (strange name..)?? We had just had a formal dinner and didn't see the point in getting changed, we don't normally wear suits :lol:
Reply 15
Haha yeah, klute sounds like a good place to go for a laugh! The students I spoke to say that you learn to love it, probably because it's so bad! :tongue:

Was that between midnight and two ish at the Loveshack (strange name..)?? We had just had a formal dinner and didn't see the point in getting changed, we don't normally wear suits :lol:

More like 12-2pm hahaf, they reps weren't too keen on us going out after midnight. Still, there was plenty to do in the college and the bar was open, so everyone had a class time :smile: And I've also read into loveshack, heard it's alright. Personally, I like going out but I'm big on conversation compared to hordes of people in massive clubs, so little Durham suits me nicely.
Reply 16
Original post by Boro123
More like 12-2pm hahaf, they reps weren't too keen on us going out after midnight. Still, there was plenty to do in the college and the bar was open, so everyone had a class time :smile: And I've also read into loveshack, heard it's alright. Personally, I like going out but I'm big on conversation compared to hordes of people in massive clubs, so little Durham suits me nicely.

Yeah, I agree, I much preferred being in the quieter college bar and common room talking to people, but the college bar closed at 12 ish so some of us went into town, which was more fun than going to bed :smile:
Yeah, I agree, I much preferred being in the quieter college bar and common room talking to people, but the college bar closed at 12 ish so some of us went into town, which was more fun than going to bed :smile:

Goshdarnit. I thought this year at least they would finally have the bar opening later. There's been this ridiculous ongoing argument between the colleges and University over how to deal with open days/fresher weeks and drinking.

The University want everyone to stay in college, go to bed early, not make the locals angry, and get to lectures/tours the next morning without hangovers. Therefore college bars should close early, so everyone gets a good night's sleep.

The colleges try to point out that, if college bars close early, then it's more likely that everyone will hit the town, and be even worse off the next morning. For some reason the University doesn't believe this.
Reply 18
Original post by Awoodrow2
Goshdarnit. I thought this year at least they would finally have the bar opening later. There's been this ridiculous ongoing argument between the colleges and University over how to deal with open days/fresher weeks and drinking.

The University want everyone to stay in college, go to bed early, not make the locals angry, and get to lectures/tours the next morning without hangovers. Therefore college bars should close early, so everyone gets a good night's sleep.

The colleges try to point out that, if college bars close early, then it's more likely that everyone will hit the town, and be even worse off the next morning. For some reason the University doesn't believe this.

I see your point, but I actually only saw about five people going into town, the rest went to bed. I think keeping the bar open another hour would've been a good compromise though :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by Awoodrow2

It would have been nice of the bar stayed opened longer, but there were still things to do in the college and the reps were nice enough to stick about to talk, so I still had a great time :smile: It was a bit concerning that 3 people went out and didn't come back though, but they had reps with them so they will have been ok.

Quick Reply

Latest