The Student Room Group

Your experience of apprenticeships?

It's National Apprenticeship Week next week - and so it would be great to hear from anyone who has...

Completed an apprenticeship

Is currently doing an apprenticeship

Ditched uni or other plans to do an apprenticeship instead

Why am I asking? Well, I'd like to put together a feature on TSR members' experiences, which would run on the homepage.

So, what have been your own experiences of doing an apprenticeship?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Boristhethird is currently doing the network rail apprenticeship featured on the homepage pod thing recently. He doesn't come on tsr often though coz they don't have good internets, but I shall try to remember to poke him for you :yep:

Sent from my GT-S5363
Original post by Juno
Boristhethird is currently doing the network rail apprenticeship featured on the homepage pod thing recently. He doesn't come on tsr often though coz they don't have good internets, but I shall try to remember to poke him for you :yep:

Sent from my GT-S5363

Please do. :smile: Would be interesting to hear from him.
Reply 3
Original post by shooks
Please do. :smile: Would be interesting to hear from him.

He's aware of this thread. However, his bad internet (network rail have installed new wifi in the accommodation and it's not fully working yet) means he can't post anything atm. Will probably be this weekend before he gets round to it.

Sent from my GT-S5363
Hello! sorry its taken so long to reply.

As Juno says, I’m on the Network Rail Advanced Apprenticeship,currently 7 months into it.
This first year (which is actually only 9 months) is spent living and working on a navy base. This is spent alongside EDF apprentices doing the same thing. Here we are basically getting the academic skills required for the job. The day is spent in lessons (like school), some practical and some theory (to get an NVQ and a BTEC by the end of this year).
The accommodation is on a different navy base, in rooms of either 4,5 or 6 (I’m in a 4), with meals provided, a free gym and now wifi (albeit slow and intermittent).
in June we leave the navy bases, and move to our depots, where we spend 2 more years as apprentices working on track.
any questions, just ask.

Botis
Reply 5
Hello,

It is always good to keep your options open, and this is a big choice to make in life. I decided to start my apprenticeship at 18, with a large electrical and mechanical firm. I completed it by 21, and have done some further qualifications. It's a good opportunity and if you thrive doing hands on work then doing an apprenticeship is a great move.

There are two different schemes I am aware of. EAL - which spreads the college work over the first two year, and ECITB - which is a solid first year at college and the following years on site.
Unfortunately times are tough, and although they take on more apprentices, those finishing are likely to be let go, or offered a 6 month rolling contract.

There are things like trainee engineering programmes if you are less practical and prefer more office based work and management.

Also don't panic to much about the window. Adult trainee places are becoming bigger and bigger. Basically it's an apprenticeship for those 19 and over, and company's lean towards mature learners because they show more dedication to the course work and NVQ portfolio!

I'm glad that I completed my apprenticeship, and I will always have the qualification. But like many jobs, false promises are made and as times become hard they block you opportunities to move forward.

University or apprenticeships are both great choices and will help lead to a prosperous career if taken seriously!

Hope this helps, any questions let me know.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
I'm making this decision. I can't afford uni and don't know if I'm up for it. So I've been thinking about apprenticeships...

This choice will change moi life!
Reply 7
Original post by Kousar
I'm making this decision. I can't afford uni and don't know if I'm up for it. So I've been thinking about apprenticeships...

This choice will change moi life!

Remember, your not to old to ever learn something new. So whatever choice you make, don't feel tied in! You can change, but once you start try and see it out to the finish line and don't burn bridges! I should be able to get summer and winter work at a premium rate because of connections!

What apprenticeships are you looking at?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Dannyhemms
Remember, your not to old to ever learn something new. So whatever choice you make, don't feel tied in! You can change, but once you start try and see it out to the finish line and don't burn bridges! I should be able to get summer and winter work at a premium rate because of connections!

What apprenticeships are you looking at?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm unsure, I'm waiting for an important email to get back to me, about whether I can do this Theology course. If I can't then I want to look into apprenticeships but whens the latest you can apply for apprenticeships for next year?
I'm interested in something related to Arts and Humanities, but there isn't much on this. There is Media Studies etc but I'm not sure.
Reply 9
Original post by shooks
xxx

I hope it's not too late for me to give my side of the story :smile:

I did an AAT (Accountancy) apprenticeship after I finished my A Levels because I was tired of school and wanted something interesting. That is now finished, it lasted two years and after I passed my final exams, my employers did offer me a permanent contract.

I have to say that I enjoyed doing the apprenticeship, it felt different and refreshing. Towards the end of my A Levels I started hating college and every aspect of it, which is why I wasn't fond of bearing another 3 years at university. Personally I think it has helped me vastly, the experience alone was amazing, the company I worked for were brilliant, understanding and helped me a lot towards my studying by actually showing me how to do the things I was learning in the books. That made my essays fairly simple and straightforward to produce, because I could implement not only what I learned from the books and lessons but from what I was taught at work. And that is to me the beauty of doing an apprenticeship, you learn and you also get your hand dirty, which makes the learning easier.

Plus, I only worked for 3 1/2 days and had one day of college which I only spent 2-3 hours with my tutor(s) which meant for most of the time I was free on my "Study day". I won't lie though, it sometime did get hectic, when a deadline day approached, having to use my one hour lunch break to work on my essays and stuff, that probably was to do more with me being disorganised more than anything. I never thought I would actually enjoy waking up at 7 to get to work until I started doing it, and I always felt a great sense of pride when I used to clock out and meet my friends in some bar and whatnot in my work clothes, taking that journey in the morning to work as well, in my little suit amongst other older people in suits on their way to work in busy ol' London always felt good. :moon:

All in all, I wish apprenticeships were "the norm" as the PM says he will work on, they offer something different, and not everyone is cut out for University, far too many people drop out, or waste their time at university when they could have had a better opportunity doing an apprenticeship or something else.
My sister is doing an apprentiship with thomas cook (in a co op travel agents- they are owned by thomas cook).
She has got on really well and thinks its great.
She is doing loads of bookings now, getting commission etc. She also got apprentice of the month, and has been on the phone helping out apprentices at other thomas cook stores. She is glad she did the apprentiship rather than going to college. She is also guaranteed a job at the end of it. It might not be at the same store she is at now, but she is guaranteed a job. She is also going on to do the higher level apprentiship next year.
(edited 11 years ago)
I completed a one-year apprenticeship in the Business and Administrations sector after College: I always was intending Uni eventually though. I'm heading off in October this year. Apprenticeships are really good experience and a extremely good stepping-stone into employment. Doing one before Uni would strengthen your application an extreme amount!
Anyone completed 3 year apprenticeship programme at Cisco?
How's it like? what is the entry requirement? and what salary do you earn?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ipoop
I hope it's not too late for me to give my side of the story :smile:

I did an AAT (Accountancy) apprenticeship after I finished my A Levels because I was tired of school and wanted something interesting. That is now finished, it lasted two years and after I passed my final exams, my employers did offer me a permanent contract.

I have to say that I enjoyed doing the apprenticeship, it felt different and refreshing. Towards the end of my A Levels I started hating college and every aspect of it, which is why I wasn't fond of bearing another 3 years at university. Personally I think it has helped me vastly, the experience alone was amazing, the company I worked for were brilliant, understanding and helped me a lot towards my studying by actually showing me how to do the things I was learning in the books. That made my essays fairly simple and straightforward to produce, because I could implement not only what I learned from the books and lessons but from what I was taught at work. And that is to me the beauty of doing an apprenticeship, you learn and you also get your hand dirty, which makes the learning easier.

Plus, I only worked for 3 1/2 days and had one day of college which I only spent 2-3 hours with my tutor(s) which meant for most of the time I was free on my "Study day". I won't lie though, it sometime did get hectic, when a deadline day approached, having to use my one hour lunch break to work on my essays and stuff, that probably was to do more with me being disorganised more than anything. I never thought I would actually enjoy waking up at 7 to get to work until I started doing it, and I always felt a great sense of pride when I used to clock out and meet my friends in some bar and whatnot in my work clothes, taking that journey in the morning to work as well, in my little suit amongst other older people in suits on their way to work in busy ol' London always felt good. :moon:

All in all, I wish apprenticeships were "the norm" as the PM says he will work on, they offer something different, and not everyone is cut out for University, far too many people drop out, or waste their time at university when they could have had a better opportunity doing an apprenticeship or something else.

Hi there mate, if you don't mind me asking a few questions regarding AAT as I am looking to study it after completing my A levels.

Just wanted to ask what are the requirements needed( gcse's/ Ucas points), if you gained the apprenticeship like 3 or 4 months before actually starting it and how you actually got on to studying the AAT.

Because at the moment I am finding it to difficult getting on to a AAT, as the requirements are quite high e.g. 280+ ucas points and some apprenticeship vacancies starting before I finish A levels.

Thanks in advance if you could answer any of these questions.
Original post by shooks
It's National Apprenticeship Week next week - and so it would be great to hear from anyone who has...

Completed an apprenticeship

Is currently doing an apprenticeship

Ditched uni or other plans to do an apprenticeship instead

Why am I asking? Well, I'd like to put together a feature on TSR members' experiences, which would run on the homepage.

So, what have been your own experiences of doing an apprenticeship?

I did an apprenticeship which started in 2006 and it was just right for me. I struggle to study so having responsibilities as well as learning was perfect. Practical experience complimented the learning and vice versa. The best bit for me was that the employer didnt overly treat me like an apprentice, I had my strengths and weknesses and had a place within the team. It meant that I got to network which would proove useful.

I got to work in a few places around the uk and By the time I graduated it meant I had 5 years practical experience as well as a formal qualification. Im doing a masters part time at the moment but now work as a consultant which is well very paid, takes me all over the world and presents me with massive responsibilities but a dynamic and interesting job which is always teaching me..

It was very hard work at times working a full week and studying on top of that and there were plenty of times where I wanted to pack it in or thought I would fail the uni course, but had good support from the employer and uni alike. I am lucky in that not everyone has the same experience with apprenticeships, but it's got me to a place that Would have taken me potentially 7 years on top of the 3 year uni course. I now have 7 years experience compared to the 2 or 3 I would have had in a full time course.

In some respect you do miss out on certain things by not going to uni, and uni suits some people more, but for me it has probably been the Best decision I have ever made.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Boristhethird
Hello! sorry its taken so long to reply.

As Juno says, I’m on the Network Rail Advanced Apprenticeship,currently 7 months into it.
This first year (which is actually only 9 months) is spent living and working on a navy base. This is spent alongside EDF apprentices doing the same thing. Here we are basically getting the academic skills required for the job. The day is spent in lessons (like school), some practical and some theory (to get an NVQ and a BTEC by the end of this year).
The accommodation is on a different navy base, in rooms of either 4,5 or 6 (I’m in a 4), with meals provided, a free gym and now wifi (albeit slow and intermittent).
in June we leave the navy bases, and move to our depots, where we spend 2 more years as apprentices working on track.
any questions, just ask.

Botis

:wavey:

How are you enjoying the Apprenticeship?
I began my apprenticeship (Business Administration) after my a levels and after 3 months, my wage was raised to NMW :biggrin:

I needed a break before starting University (which turned into 2 years) but I'm so thankful I did. I'm now Supervisor in my job and I'm confident the work experience will benefit me when searching for a part time job at University :biggrin:

Also, gaining more qualifications was nice :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Got an interview for a dental receptionist apprenticeship, my mother is going to kick off!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by gunner4life95
Hi there mate, if you don't mind me asking a few questions regarding AAT as I am looking to study it after completing my A levels.

Just wanted to ask what are the requirements needed( gcse's/ Ucas points), if you gained the apprenticeship like 3 or 4 months before actually starting it and how you actually got on to studying the AAT.

Because at the moment I am finding it to difficult getting on to a AAT, as the requirements are quite high e.g. 280+ ucas points and some apprenticeship vacancies starting before I finish A levels.

I'm so sorry for replying to this so late :colondollar:

The only requirements I was ever told was to be over 18 and have a minimum of 5 GCSEs with at lease a C grade for both Maths and English, and I had A Levels to back up why I wanted to do AAT and at the induction I was booked for a computer based exam to test my knowledge and for the college to assess which level I should start at. I started at Level 2.

I'm not really sure with regards to UCAS, I don't think you'd need that many UCAS points though, because I have a friend that is also doing an AAT course atm and he didn't even have good GCSEs grades and no A Levels, but AAT accepted his application and he is studying it online starting at level 2 also :dontknow: You might have to call colleges to find out :smile:

I too struggled to find someone to take me on, I actually started applying around January on my last year of A-Levels and after 5-6 unsuccessful interviews, I managed to find a work placement in a firm. I primarily did only Admin work, with some basic reconciliations, billing and posting invoices and stuff.

The studying bit is the tricky part I guess, at first I was studying the material through a College in West London. I used to go and see my tutor(s) once a week, and put having to work 25 hours a week on top of that, my social life effectively took the burden of it all; that was for the level 2.
When that was passed, I decided to take on distance learning, and that was the best option; an option I would personally recommend, it was quite a relaxing method of studying the whole, and much more enjoyable. And luckily for me as well, my employers offered to fund the studies all the way to level 4, which is the qualification I now have.

I hope I've covered everything, if you have any more questions, I'd be happy to help, and you quote me here, but maybe send me a pm as well to say you've quoted me, just in case it slips my mind :colondollar:

P.s. How/where have you been searching for AAT apprenticeships, if you don't mind me asking :smile:
Original post by ipoop
I'm so sorry for replying to this so late :colondollar:

The only requirements I was ever told was to be over 18 and have a minimum of 5 GCSEs with at lease a C grade for both Maths and English, and I had A Levels to back up why I wanted to do AAT and at the induction I was booked for a computer based exam to test my knowledge and for the college to assess which level I should start at. I started at Level 2.

I'm not really sure with regards to UCAS, I don't think you'd need that many UCAS points though, because I have a friend that is also doing an AAT course atm and he didn't even have good GCSEs grades and no A Levels, but AAT accepted his application and he is studying it online starting at level 2 also :dontknow: You might have to call colleges to find out :smile:

I too struggled to find someone to take me on, I actually started applying around January on my last year of A-Levels and after 5-6 unsuccessful interviews, I managed to find a work placement in a firm. I primarily did only Admin work, with some basic reconciliations, billing and posting invoices and stuff.

The studying bit is the tricky part I guess, at first I was studying the material through a College in West London. I used to go and see my tutor(s) once a week, and put having to work 25 hours a week on top of that, my social life effectively took the burden of it all; that was for the level 2.
When that was passed, I decided to take on distance learning, and that was the best option; an option I would personally recommend, it was quite a relaxing method of studying the whole, and much more enjoyable. And luckily for me as well, my employers offered to fund the studies all the way to level 4, which is the qualification I now have.

I hope I've covered everything, if you have any more questions, I'd be happy to help, and you quote me here, but maybe send me a pm as well to say you've quoted me, just in case it slips my mind :colondollar:

P.s. How/where have you been searching for AAT apprenticeships, if you don't mind me asking :smile:

Thanks for the reply I really appreciate it. In regards to searching for a AAT apprenticeship I have basically be looking on the apprenticeship website, which has vacancies coming and going, but were most of the vacancies have a starting date before I finish sixth form.

Also signing up to the get my first job website and learning provides such as Kaplan and BPP who can help to find a work placement. I have applied to 4-5 school leaver programs that the top accountancy firms offer and vacancies on get my first job , but havent had any luck, as all the applications were unsuccessful.

On a another note, do you think I could start at level 3 because I do accountancy A level were I'm on a B at the moment and was told by someone from kaplan that I could start level 3 when I had a interview for a accountancy scholarship they offer, and do you think more vacancies for AAT apprenticeship will become available in the summer?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending