The Student Room Group

Trans woman commits suicide after being bullied by the Daily Mail

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Harrow.7
feel it for the man who commited suicide....it was his choice, DM should have been content with that....

I don't think I've seen so much wrong.. in such a small space..

Its slightly impressive actually..
Reply 61
Also pretty sure the suicide was more disturbing for the kids than the fact he changed into a woman... Surprised the Daily Mail didn't run with 'Selfish teacher commits suicide and disturbs children'

They are such hypocrites after how much they laid into those Aussie DJs as well... Not that I would expect anything more.
Original post by fallen_acorns
IQUOTE

Firstly I'll start off by saying that I have little experience with any transgender issues, so please don't get angry at me here!

In my life I've only known one transgender woman, somebody I knew at my previous University who was pre-op and had been living as a girl since she was 12 years old. Just from looking at her you wouldn't have any idea that she wasn't a genetic female. She also happened to arguably be the nicest, sweetest, kindest person I have ever known.

However, because she didn't ever want to mislead anybody she didn't try and hide the fact she was transgender, but far too often I saw people who started treating her differently the moment they found out. As soon as they discovered that she was transgender they almost stopped treating her like a real person, and suddenly started acting like she was a freak. On one occasion I was with her when somebody she knew from our course asked her out, and because she didn't want to lead him on she told him what she was. His response, he spat in her face, called her a freak of nature, told her that she deserved to die, and ran away.

From what i saw the problem isn't necessarily the lack of knowledge, although I'm not denying that people do need to be better educated about it, it's the lack of tolerance. People being unable to accept that somebody is different, not wanting to be associated with somebody that they view as weird, and it makes me sick.
Original post by redferry
Also pretty sure the suicide was more disturbing for the kids than the fact he changed into a woman... Surprised the Daily Mail didn't run with 'Selfish teacher commits suicide and disturbs children'

They are such hypocrites after how much they laid into those Aussie DJs as well... Not that I would expect anything more.

This. It's unbelievable what absolute crap that paper will actually post in that paper - you'd think that Littlejohn (the author of the disgusting original article) could be tried for hate crimes for belittling somebody who is trans and thinking let's run with the "for the children" excuse as a suitable way of destroying somebodies life. It's sad that people believe the crap they spew.
Reply 64
I don't think I've seen so much wrong.. in such a small space..

Its slightly impressive actually..

I believe the person you quoted is sympathising with Meadows. It's just badly worded unfortunately.
Original post by officelinebacker
Firstly I'll start off by saying that I have little experience with any transgender issues, so please don't get angry at me here!

In my life I've only known one transgender woman, somebody I knew at my previous University who was pre-op and had been living as a girl since she was 12 years old. Just from looking at her you wouldn't have any idea that she wasn't a genetic female. She also happened to arguably be the nicest, sweetest, kindest person I have ever known.

However, because she didn't ever want to mislead anybody she didn't try and hide the fact she was transgender, but far too often I saw people who started treating her differently the moment they found out. As soon as they discovered that she was transgender they almost stopped treating her like a real person, and suddenly started acting like she was a freak. On one occasion I was with her when somebody she knew from our course asked her out, and because she didn't want to lead him on she told him what she was. His response, he spat in her face, called her a freak of nature, told her that she deserved to die, and ran away.

From what i saw the problem isn't necessarily the lack of knowledge, although I'm not denying that people do need to be better educated about it, it's the lack of tolerance. People being unable to accept that somebody is different, not wanting to be associated with somebody that they view as weird, and it makes me sick.

If my response was a bit short, im sorry.. Its just well, you can imagine how many times these things get put to me, asked/questioned etc.. - it happens every day, all the time :frown: and dispite most people meaning nothing by it.. when you see it so many times.. it just gets to you :frown:

- your friend sounds lovely, and im sorry for what happened to her :frown:

+ your right, tolerance is a huge issue.. - I hope though, increased tolerance will come with increased knowledge.. but maybe not
Original post by ANARCHY__
I believe the person you quoted is sympathising with Meadows. It's just badly worded unfortunately.

they were being symathetic..

but then called her, a 'him'

and stated that the transition was her choice..

Its opinions like those, that make trans people like her, lifes so hard..
Reply 67
they were being symathetic..

but then called her, a 'him'

and stated that the transition was her choice..

Its opinions like those, that make trans people like her, lifes so hard..

I agree, it is badly worded. Unfortunately, there are a lot of misconceptions and prejudices against the LGBT community, despite the intention of the person saying it.
Reply 68
Original post by Bluffroom
This. It's unbelievable what absolute crap that paper will actually post in that paper - you'd think that Littlejohn (the author of the disgusting original article) could be tried for hate crimes for belittling somebody who is trans and thinking let's run with the "for the children" excuse as a suitable way of destroying somebodies life. It's sad that people believe the crap they spew.

This sort of thing is why I support regulation of the media even though I am wary of it as I know it can be a slippery slope.
Very upsetting. I don't know what's worse; The Daily Mail or the people who read it. Scum
Original post by redferry
This sort of thing is why I support regulation of the media even though I am wary of it as I know it can be a slippery slope.

I agree, we need regulation, but not outright censorship. What is illegal everywhere else should be illegal for the papers (example being hate crime in that article).
Original post by Jakaroo94
Very upsetting. I don't know what's worse; The Daily Mail or the people who read it. Scum

I don't think the people who read it are necessarily scum, for example my parents read it (but are more interested in the weekend pullouts more than anything) but I do get annoyed at times when they point obvious lies out. People in general just need to not believe anything they see in the media.
Original post by Bluffroom
I don't think the people who read it are necessarily scum, for example my parents read it (but are more interested in the weekend pullouts more than anything) but I do get annoyed at times when they point obvious lies out. People in general just need to not believe anything they see in the media.

I'm talking about the incredibly right-wing people who have the DM as a sort of bible. I don't think we should hold it against your parents for reading the weekend pullouts haha ; )
Reply 73
He'll probably try and hide behind 'freedom of speech' like journalists always do when their gossip and opinions fall under criticism. Uncovering and reporting actual facts that are in the public interest to know (e.g. expenses scandal) is not the same as targeting an unknown member of the public and spewing a load of hate at them based on your own personal 'morals'.
Original post by Jakaroo94
I'm talking about the incredibly right-wing people who have the DM as a sort of bible. I don't think we should hold it against your parents for reading the weekend pullouts haha ; )

Those people do seriously suck as people though, it's insane how small minded they are - they would fit in amazingly well in certain American circles.
Original post by sorafdfs
He'll probably try and hide behind 'freedom of speech' like journalists always do when their gossip and opinions fall under criticism. Uncovering and reporting actual facts that are in the public interest to know (e.g. expenses scandal) is not the same as targeting an unknown member of the public and spewing a load of hate at them based on your own personal 'morals'.

He shouldn't get away with it if he did in fact get sued/tried/etc for it because hate crimes override freedom of speech. He was blatantly attacking the person, not just stating his beliefs - if he was he wasn't doing it in a very nice manner.
Funny how newspapers like the Mail and the Sun say regulating of the media is undemocratic but if a law was passed that regulated the media the EU would force the government to scrape the law because its against human rights. So the thing they protest the most about could save them
Reply 76
I am all for press freedom but just for a laugh i would love to see Daily Mail being forced by the new press regulator or whatever to write a 10 page apology with £1 million pound fine.
Original post by ANARCHY__
I agree, it is badly worded. Unfortunately, there are a lot of misconceptions and prejudices against the LGBT community, despite the intention of the person saying it.

I think the person's intention has just come out, [post="41911501"]wouldn't you say[/post]....

You see, misgendering has that intention in my opinion; it's more than just bad wording. The intention is "I feel sympathy for those committing suicide, even if they are freaks". It's similar to "I'm not homophobic, I'm not against homosexuality, I'm just against homosexual acts because they are sinful".
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 78
Original post by Oldham123
Sensible only in that it would avoid tempting the wrath of insensitive and uninformed parents? It seems that no matter how angry a parent was going to get, it wouldn't have mattered, the school seemed incredibly supportive in the face of potential anger. If Richard ****ing Littlejohn spent less time trying to get people he didn't like to kill themselves, then everything would be fine. Transitioning should be able to occur in front of people. It is necessary for people to be confronted before any views will shift.

No, school is about giving children a politically neutral education; it is about furnishing them with knowledge so they can make their own decisions about things, not about 'confronting' them, and forcing them to accept the idea that being trans is fine (an idea which I totally agree with, by the way).

If trans people are forced to complete their transition behind closed doors, then people are "protected" from knowing and one day understanding gender dysporia.

Furthermore, transitioning is a long process. Are you suggesting that she should have gone unemployed for all that time? That might have been problematic, doubly so considering she had a class of children who would definitely suffer from her absence.

Finally, gender ISN'T binary, neither is it immutable. People who think it is are wrong, and children who think it is have been done a disservice by parents. The only reasons I can think of as to why a parent wouldn't want their children to know about gender dysporia, or see its effects, are a) in case their child gets ideas and tries the same thing, or b) their children become overly sexualised too early.

a) This is stupid. Gender dysporia is no more a choice than homosexuality. It doesn't surprise me that people think this though; the exact same happens with homosexuality too.

b) Learning about gender, and the different ways people identify themselves as, is not a sexual experience. Young children understand that there are girls and boys, mothers and fathers, without becoming sexual. Why would teaching gender as a spectrum of identity, rather than a binary construct, sexualise them? I think this is probably because the people making the decisions about what children come into contact with (the parents) are sexualised (obviously because they're adults), and can conceive of things they class as oddities when it comes to trans people. "Who are they attracted to? Who do they have sex with? Are they still straight afterwards? Or do they descend into depravity and sexual deviancy? I MUST PROTECT MY CHILDREN FROM THIS EVIL!"

The world needs to grow up.
Reply 79
Original post by lightburns
I think the person's intention has just come out, [post="41911501"]wouldn't you say[/post]....

You see, misgendering has that intention in my opinion; it's more than just bad wording. The intention is "I feel sympathy for those committing suicide, even if they are freaks". It's similar to "I'm not homophobic, I'm not against homosexuality, I'm just against homosexual acts because they are sinful".

True. It's a shame the poster supplemented their view with that comment although I suppose it exposes their true feelings.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending