The Student Room Group

Is A Level Psychology a waste of time?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm thinking about taking these subjects for a level:

Drama, English Lit, History, Psychology

The thing is though, am I wasting my time with psych. Would taking maths or chemistry be better?

I'm hoping for a writing or teaching career, but I don't want to close off my options.

I guess what I'm asking here is; what can I do in life with Drama, English Lit and History? And is psych a waste of time? I'm very interested in the subject but I just don't know what to do anymore :/

Someone help?!
Obviously taking maths or chemistry would be better but if you really want to do it then you should as an A in psychology looks better than an E in maths. I don't think you should be too restricted as you have two academic subjects. Also if you're still worried maybe consider taking psychology and swapping drama.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by TheScientist_
Obviously taking maths or chemistry would be better but if you really want to do it then you should as an A in psychology looks better than an E in maths. I don't think you should be too restricted as you have two academic subjects. Also if you're still worried maybe consider taking psychology and swapping drama.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks. Drama's a subject I really don't want to swap. For me, even if it's just one subject, I need to do something fun. Although there is a lot of work involved, I know I'd enjoy it.

For the subjects I've picked then, do you have any idea what I could do with them? Thanks again :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well any essay-based degrees and you mentioned writing or teaching and I think your choices are fine for those too x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I'm doing A Level Psychology, and what I will say to you is that NO it is not a waste of time!

If you were interested in a career in Psychology itself, neuroscience, etc. (as I am) then I would say you're better off with Chemistry or Biology - because this is what Universities will want. Psychology A Level is, whilst having elements of quite hard science and maths (research methods etc) not nearly as scientific as these subjects for the most part.

However, if you're looking for a career in teaching/writing as you say, then I would say Psychology would be a great subject to have. It's quite similar to geography, I think (I do geography too), and whilst not as 'scientific' as the hard sciences, some people find it very hard. There is a lot of content, lots of studies to remember etc. Many people came out of Year 12 with Us and Es if they were not at all scientifically minded.

However, for me personally (my strengths at GCSE were English and Science) Psych hasn't been too difficult. And if you want to study, say, History at a University who only accept AAA, or ABB, then you're likely to find it much easier to get the grades you need in Psychology than Maths.

I would stress that if you have any interest at all in persuing a career in science, and you believe you could cope with it, I would pick a science subject. Otherwise, other than Cambridge, no Universities will look down on Psychology. (Cambridge only value psych when the student is applying to a 'relevant' course, and if psych is offered alongside a 'soft' subject then will reject the application - I know this because my friend was advised not to apply with French, Psych and Media).
Reply 5
Original post by Velvet4
I'm doing A Level Psychology, and what I will say to you is that NO it is not a waste of time!

If you were interested in a career in Psychology itself, neuroscience, etc. (as I am) then I would say you're better off with Chemistry or Biology - because this is what Universities will want. Psychology A Level is, whilst having elements of quite hard science and maths (research methods etc) not nearly as scientific as these subjects for the most part.

However, if you're looking for a career in teaching/writing as you say, then I would say Psychology would be a great subject to have. It's quite similar to geography, I think (I do geography too), and whilst not as 'scientific' as the hard sciences, some people find it very hard. There is a lot of content, lots of studies to remember etc. Many people came out of Year 12 with Us and Es if they were not at all scientifically minded.

However, for me personally (my strengths at GCSE were English and Science) Psych hasn't been too difficult. And if you want to study, say, History at a University who only accept AAA, or ABB, then you're likely to find it much easier to get the grades you need in Psychology than Maths.

I would stress that if you have any interest at all in persuing a career in science, and you believe you could cope with it, I would pick a science subject. Otherwise, other than Cambridge, no Universities will look down on Psychology. (Cambridge only value psych when the student is applying to a 'relevant' course, and if psych is offered alongside a 'soft' subject then will reject the application - I know this because my friend was advised not to apply with French, Psych and Media).

Thanks so much for the help! Looks like I'm probably taking psych, drama, history and english lit then! Those aren't too 'soft' are they?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
English Lit and History are considered 'hard' A Levels. Even for the top Unis, two hard subjects is all you usually need. Psychology is somewhere in between, and drama is 'soft'. I'd say they are good subject choices to make! Good luck :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Velvet4
English Lit and History are considered 'hard' A Levels. Even for the top Unis, two hard subjects is all you usually need. Psychology is somewhere in between, and drama is 'soft'. I'd say they are good subject choices to make! Good luck :smile:

Okay thanks so much! That's really helpful :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I don't think it's really fair too say that any A level is 'soft', it depends on what you're strengths are. Psychology definitely isn't a waste of time; it's scientific and could prepare you for a degree in the sciences because it deals with research methods etc but it also develops your ability to present an argument and your essay writing skills. I love the subject and have applied to study it at Uni next year :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by megspar95
I don't think it's really fair too say that any A level is 'soft', it depends on what you're strengths are. Psychology definitely isn't a waste of time; it's scientific and could prepare you for a degree in the sciences because it deals with research methods etc but it also develops your ability to present an argument and your essay writing skills. I love the subject and have applied to study it at Uni next year :smile:

Thank you! But the only thing is, is there any point in studying it without another science subject alongside it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by allconfused
Thank you! But the only thing is, is there any point in studying it without another science subject alongside it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You don't need to study a science with it because when its taught at A level, it's not really taught like the other science subjects. It's all long answer questions, and then if you continue to A2 it's essay questions. Although, there is a bit of research methods so I found studying biology as well really helped. But honestly, if you like the look of the course then I woulnd't worry too much about it :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by megspar95
You don't need to study a science with it because when its taught at A level, it's not really taught like the other science subjects. It's all long answer questions, and then if you continue to A2 it's essay questions. Although, there is a bit of research methods so I found studying biology as well really helped. But honestly, if you like the look of the course then I woulnd't worry too much about it :smile:

That's really great to know, thank you:five:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
psych is awsome.Abit hard but awsome!
Reply 13
Wouldn't say it's a waste of time or a soft subject, BUT I do regret taking it. If I were you I would seriously recommend getting hold of a textbook and actually looking at the content of the course!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
The skills I learnt from my Psychology A Level have been useful to me in my degree, stuff like having to be analytical, creating arguments out of people's studies, having to use evidence to make arguments etc.

If you're going to be doing an essay based uni subject then it would be useful. I would get rid of Drama if I were you, you don't need a 'fun' subject and it wont do you any favours for uni apps.
Reply 15
Original post by Antifazian
The skills I learnt from my Psychology A Level have been useful to me in my degree, stuff like having to be analytical, creating arguments out of people's studies, having to use evidence to make arguments etc.

If you're going to be doing an essay based uni subject then it would be useful. I would get rid of Drama if I were you, you don't need a 'fun' subject and it wont do you any favours for uni apps.

Thanks for the psych advice. But my motives for drama stand strong as it's what I want to actually do in life

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending