The Student Room Group

What social class do you consider yourself to be?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Upper class. You should all bow down at my feet you sniveling peasants!
Reply 81
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Which social class is the sexiest, overall?

That's an interesting question - I guess most people go for someone who is of a similar class to themselves, but I may be wrong. :smile:
Reply 82
Original post by takingtime
This is just ludicrous; typical TSR faux-intellectualism. I would say consumerism is far more relevant to determining our class in modern day Neo-Liberal Britain than Marxist interpretations of class
Recently I heard of a study saying that are supermarket illustrates our class far more today. For example we might associate a higher class with those who shop at Waitrose or Marks and Spencers but a lower class with those who shop at ASDA.
( http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/9808015/How-supermarkets-prop-up-our-class-system.html )
The fact that I copied a telegraph link made me think that newspaper we read may be another social indicator. :smile:

What do you think a Marxist approach to class means?
Working class, although my parents are very sensible with their money and we can afford some luxuries.
Original post by Tom78
Upper class. You should all bow down at my feet you sniveling peasants!

Very good, M'Lud. At what hour will M'Lord be having Tiffin? :rolleyes:
Original post by Hackett
I disagree, I know people who are common as hell but drive around in Bentleys, live in god awful 'huge' homes all kitted out etc. In my view, Social class derives from factors such as background, schooling, heritage etc.

Well yes, I did say that possessions were only a factor. Other factors are also put into consideration, and background is probably a main factor. :tongue:
Why does this even matter anymore? I feel disgusted to call myself British when we still adhere to this class system. We are all human, get over it.
Original post by midnightice
Why does this even matter anymore? I feel disgusted to call myself British when we still adhere to this class system. We are all human, get over it.

Maybe it matters less to some people, but it's still clearly a big deal in the UK. We have class-based newspapers, class-divided TV channels and shows, class-separated universities (they shouldn't be, but they seem to be) and class-based food, music, supermarkets, culture and entertainment.
Probably middle class. My mum is a social worker and my dad is a mechanic by trade, and has his own business.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fullofsurprises
That's interesting, because I think people can be working class and earn more than that and be upper middle and earn less. It has to do with culture, job, education and outlook/upbringing, not just earnings. That's also true in many other countries.

That's kinda old school 'new money' versus 'old money' snobbery though. I don't agree that someone can be considered working class if they earn £100,000. That's a degradation and insult to those who actually are working class. And so what you're saying is social mobility is 0? I think we should quit talking about classes as a system in which we classify beliefs and culture and just keep it purely to the economics. I mean, to say one class has one 'outlook' and another class has another is so minimizing to the population.

Anyway, I'm from a working class background, and I'm at uni now. I'd like to think that gives me the freedom to be classless, at least for a little while. No matter what job I get after uni, I'm not going to call myself 'middle class' (been repulsed bt the idea since I read Harry Potter as a kid, no one wants to be a Dursley :wink: ), can't see me ever saying 'I am this __' though I will proudly say I'm from a working class upbringing.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 90
The underbelly of society.

Working class really.
Reply 91
Original post by Loren1994
Middle Class

Always been to an International School and if I asked for something more or less for my Birthday/Christmas I would get it (Not that I am spoilt).

My parents work very hard however and want to give me and my brother what they never had (sounds cheesy but its true)

My family cant afford to go on lavish holidays and things like that, but saying that I went to India last year and my brother to Uganda.

I think I am a bit of both Middle and Upper but appreciate what I am given off my parents and value the importance of hard work.

Not sure you'd be upper class in Britain.

That tends to apply only to those who have a title and usually inherit the vast majority of their wealth.

You can gradually work your way in (I imagine some of the private equity and hedge fund guys made enough money recently to eventually push their families into the upper class) but it doesn't happen in the space of a generation, unless you marry into it (eg. Kate Middleton).
Original post by Hannahk17
Probably middle class. My mum is a social worker and my dad is a mechanic by trade, and has his own business.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well you are working class obviously how can a mechanic be considered middle class?
Reply 93
Original post by SophiaKeuning
That's kinda old school 'new money' versus 'old money' snobbery though. I don't agree that someone can be considered working class if they earn £100,000. That's a degradation and insult to those who actually are working class. And so what you're saying is social mobility is 0? I think we should quit talking about classes as a system in which we classify beliefs and culture and just keep it purely to the economics. I mean, to say one class has one 'outlook' and another class has another is so minimizing to the population.

I'm not sure this holds true in Britain though, our class system is more rigid and complex than, say, America's.

For example most people would describe a junior barrister/surgeon with wealthy, educated parents earning 50k as being more middle class than a builder earning 100k. Much as there is a lot wrong with it, it takes a while (as in generations) to shift your class in Britain.
Reply 94
Original post by Guy Secretan
Well you are working class obviously how can a mechanic be considered middle class?

He has his own business. If he employs people, that makes him part of the middle class (petit bourgeois).
Original post by Guy Secretan

Idk, I thought it was more based on income. Altogether the income is around £50,000, so idk.

But oh well it shouldn't matter anyway. We're all the same no matter how rich everyone is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 96
Original post by roh
I'm not sure this holds true in Britain though, our class system is more rigid and complex than, say, America's.

For example most people would describe a junior barrister/surgeon with wealthy, educated parents earning 50k as being more middle class than a builder earning 100k. Much as there is a lot wrong with it, it takes a while (as in generations) to shift your class in Britain.

Depends on how you're looking at class. A builder earning £100k is not working class in any meaningful sense. Their political and economic interests will be in common with the junior barrister, not with a checkout assistant.
Well I agree it doesn't matter but there has to be some distinction for it to mean anything.
Reply 98
Original post by Hannahk17
Idk, I thought it was more based on income. Altogether the income is around £50,000, so idk.

But oh well it shouldn't matter anyway. We're all the same no matter how rich everyone is.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The essential point about class is about where your economic and political interests lie. A business owner is not going to be much in support of trade union activity, for example.
I'd say middle-class, based on my parents income and living standards. My mum is quite high up in the NHS and my dad has his own business. We have a large house, 2 cars, I have my own, I also get an allowance. I am state educated however, but I am in the final year of uni (I don't know if that makes a difference?)

Growing up though, we weren't too rich. I'd say we have developed from working class to middle.

Views and attitudes wise, I'd say we are middle class too as we are quite conservative.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending