The Student Room Group

being sectioned and studying medicine

Hi all,

I unfortunately have had 4 rejections for medicine, but by best friend has a place at BSMS and in a bid to be supportive I want to find out some info for her. I'll try to make if brief.

1. She was sectioned in 2010, no previous history of mental health issues at all or in her family. No idea why it was caused. No relapses or any issues at all since then.

2. Because the drs had no idea why it was caused, they put it down to 'stress from studying'

3. She hasn't disclosed any of this on her app (not been asked to) but knows she will have to get occupational health clearance.

Bottom line: is this going to be a huge red flag for her? Will it stop her studying medicine?

Any advice really appreciated, I know she has tried to chat to her GP about it any got nowhere.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Dont worry you will be fine
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Knugs
there is a huge proportion of mentally ill students in medicine. A lot of students also develop mental health disorders during medical school. And you all see a lot of mentally ill doctors.

1) she doesnt need to disclose anything to occupational health (e.g even for HIV). All they do is check if you have got the required vaccinations to protect you from work hazzards. They are crazy with Hep-B especially.

She will be absolutely fine. She could disclose it and it wouldnt change anything. Just to be sure she shouldnt mention it. BTW, she could use this as a pass to protect her from deregistration.

Thanks so much for your reply.
Re not disclosing anything to occupational health, apparently she has to fill out a form which asks if she's ever had any mental health problems and/or been assessed or treated by a psychiatrist, psychotherapist or counsellor.

She has to give details and also get this signed off by her GP - so there is no way she will be able to avoid disclosing it is there?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by she-theFaceICan'tForget
Thanks so much for your reply.
Re not disclosing anything to occupational health, apparently she has to fill out a form which asks if she's ever had any mental health problems and/or been assessed or treated by a psychiatrist, psychotherapist or counsellor.

She has to give details and also get this signed off by her GP - so there is no way she will be able to avoid disclosing it is there?

She has a conditional offer based on results and not on her mental health. I'm certain it would be unlawful to take someone a place away based on that. To reassure you, I know people who disclosed mental health and they are all fine.
maybe its best to disclose it or maybe not. IMO, I would try to convince the GP to not disclose it. Anyway, as it was only stress from studying it doesnt really matter. It wont affect her place as she is already been given it. It might be a good idea to disclose it because theuniversity willa utomatically offer support if needed.

In the UK equality is a big thing. You apply for a job and they arent allowed to ask you if you plan to have children (as mother). In the NHS you dont need to disclose that you are HIV positive.
Apply to semmelweis university and if you have a genetic disease you are not even considered in the application process. They openly state you cant study if you have Cystic fibrosis for example. If that happened in the UK it would be a top story in the BBC.

She has nothing to worry about
Reply 4
The GMC guidelines say that as long as you have had no issues with mental health for two years then you should be clear for starting at medical school. On the health questionnaire the GP also has an opportunity to write their comments about the students health so that might help too :smile:

Best of luck to you both!
Original post by Knugs
there is a huge proportion of mentally ill students in medicine. A lot of students also develop mental health disorders during medical school. And you all see a lot of mentally ill doctors.

1) she doesnt need to disclose anything to occupational health (e.g even for HIV). All they do is check if you have got the required vaccinations to protect you from work hazzards. They are crazy with Hep-B especially.

She will be absolutely fine. She could disclose it and it wouldnt change anything. Just to be sure she shouldnt mention it. BTW, she could use this as a pass to protect her from deregistration.

I was under the impression that you had to disclose any known blood-borne viruses. You're going to have a hard time hiding being HIV+ with the BBV tests in place, anyway, and I can imagine you being in a bit of bother if you haven't been honest with them and they find that you're HIV+.

But I agree with you; your friend should be fine, OP.
Edit: Didn't actually read the last line of this post...
I meant that she should disclose it, and all will be fine if she does - it won't go against her. It's best not to lie about this stuff; blows up in your face completely.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Knugs

wait.. wut?
Reply 7
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
Wasn't me.

Nevertheless, your statement is hyperbolic.

"A report by the regulator revealed a rise of more than 50 per cent in mental health issues among the 7,182 UK graduates who applied for provisional registration. The increase is from 39 students in 2011 to 62 in 2012."

This figure represents 0.8% of the entire cohort of medical students.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by oz40
Wasn't me.

Nevertheless, your statement is hyperbolic.

"A report by the regulator revealed a rise of more than 50 per cent in mental health issues among the 7,182 UK graduates who applied for provisional registration. The increase is from 39 students in 2011 to 62 in 2012."

This figure represents 0.8% of the entire cohort of medical students.

My mistake. Other Links should be supporting though
Reply 10
Original post by Knugs
IMO, I would try to convince the GP to not disclose it. Anyway, as it was only stress from studying it doesnt really matter...

:curious: It's not really the GPs call to opt not disclose something factual like that if asked the relevant questions with patient consent to answer.
Have you done Psychiatry yet?

If she doesn't disclose & it later comes out then in itself that would be a probity issue and she could be asked to leave because of it.
If she does then Occupational Health make the assessment about 'whether it matters' and can offer any support needed.
Original post by Knugs

I am reading this and I am speechless. Are you a medical student? You are advising someone not to disclose a condition that could impact on both her and patients? Its not going to stop her doing medicine aslong as she shows insight and is honest.
This is the most stupid advice ive read in a long time.
if in doubt, disclose it.

If you don't disclose it and they find out later, they ARE going to rip you a new areshole
Original post by HFerguson
if in doubt, disclose it.

If you don't disclose it and they find out later, they ARE going to rip you a new areshole

That was nice and concise!

So the consensus is, if she discloses it won't prevent her from studying?

Thanks guys for your responses, we have both been worrying over it for a while. There is still a terrible amount of stigma and apart from her family, I'm the only person she has told.

Thanks guys for your responses, we have both been worrying over it for a while. There is still a terrible amount of stigma and apart from her family, I'm the only person she has told.

i dont know if it would prevent her from studying or not, but she should disclose it regardless. It depends on the specific med school and background of her sectioning and her current mental health, I suppose? I can't speak from personal experience about disclosing health issues, but when I applied to med schools I had a criminal reprimand and disclosed it to all the med schools I applied to in advance, in a cover letter. Two rejected me straight up but I did get interviews (and subsequent offers) from two London medical schools, so...

just be honest. Dishonesty does not a good doctor make.
Honesty and integrity are arguably two of the core values a doctor needs.
(edited 11 years ago)

Nope. I really doubt that she'll be prevented from studying, as long as everything's been fine and they really don't think it's anything untoward.

Medical schools are well aware of the stigma facing mental health, but as long as there aren't any concerns about the well-being of your friend, or the well-being of future patients, then the information will be kept between relevant parties on a need-to-know basis. We had a lecture all about the stigma facing students, encouraging us to come forward if we do have any problems, emphasising how it won't affect anything if there's not a fitness to practice concern, and that it'll be confidential. I'm not sure what the GMC recommend for medical schools, or what the law says, but this is the policy at my uni at the very least.

The medical school have me down as having been referred to clinical psychology in 2012 - nothing has been mentioned to me about it, presumably because they don't see it as being a problem. I doubt they'll see your friend as a problem either, if there was no underlying disorder or concern, especially if it was a one-off thing.

Edit: Like everyone else recommends: lying will backfire. Big time.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Nope. I really doubt that she'll be prevented from studying, as long as everything's been fine and they really don't think it's anything untoward.

Medical schools are well aware of the stigma facing mental health, but as long as there aren't any concerns about the well-being of your friend, or the well-being of future patients, then the information will be kept between relevant parties on a need-to-know basis. We had a lecture all about the stigma facing students, encouraging us to come forward if we do have any problems, emphasising how it won't affect anything if there's not a fitness to practice concern, and that it'll be confidential. I'm not sure what the GMC recommend for medical schools, or what the law says, but this is the policy at my uni at the very least.

The medical school have me down as having been referred to clinical psychology in 2012 - nothing has been mentioned to me about it, presumably because they don't see it as being a problem. I doubt they'll see your friend as a problem either, if there was no underlying disorder or concern, especially if it was a one-off thing.

Edit: Like everyone else recommends: lying will backfire. Big time.

Good advice ^ Were you already in med school when you were referred to clinical psychology? I'm seeing a clinical psychologist for the past few months (am in my 3rd year)... boy can med school really **** your head up :frown:
Original post by HFerguson
Good advice ^ Were you already in med school when you were referred to clinical psychology? I'm seeing a clinical psychologist for the past few months (am in my 3rd year)... boy can med school really **** your head up :frown:

It was in the Spring before med school, but I'm very lucky in that I'm doing really, really well now and nothing much was required from ClinPsy (I'd wager things would have gotten better even without the referral). I'm in good mental health; I'm happy; I'm really enjoying my life. I can only hope that things look up for you like they did for me.
You can feel free to PM me if you want to talk about it. :hugs:
Original post by Knugs

Why do you continue to post such idiocy? firstly you started randomly trolling me trying to pressurize me into applying to medical school abroad about of no where. And now you label a huge proportion of medical students metally Ill? such strange behaviour
Reply 19
Original post by Richyp22
And now you label a huge proportion of medical students metally Ill? such strange behaviour

Sorry to help you make your dreams come true.

Mental health is a BIG problem in medical school. I dont make that up. And its very unusual compared to the rest of the population. We were told on the first days of lectures, in our psychology modules and AYT;Mentors always point it out. Research supports the fact that medical students are more likely to suffer from mental health issues than other students/people. I suspect you read around the topic.
BMJ 3/10 requiring treatment(21-44% distressed)
http://student.bmj.com/student/view-article.html?id=sbmj.d3678
Pubmed (24%)
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12228091
BMA
http://bma.org.uk/news-views-analysis/news/2013/february/rise-in-student-mental-health-reports

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending