The Student Room Group

Is 1 month of revision enough?

Is one month of solid hardcore revision enough for AS levels?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by chelseafan
Is one month of solid hardcore revision enough for AS levels?
Doubt it especially if its 6+exams. You'd just get burned out and stressed, rather than taking it in smaller doses
Depends what grades you're aiming for.
I mean I assume you are talking about the exams that happen in late May/early June this year not January or whatever; if so then start revising now! Yes, you probably could do just fine on a months of solid revision (I mean I don't know what you are aiming for, or can physically achieve) but the more time you have the better because then it's more likely to stay in your brain. So start revising now and you won't have too much trouble hopefully!

Good luck with your exams - I'm in the same boat and very nervous!x

x
Depends on the subjects you're doing/ grades you're aiming for.
If you're doing things like Maths and Science and you want straight A's. Then no, 1 months a joke.
yes
Reply 6
Original post by SheldonWannabe
Depends on the subjects you're doing/ grades you're aiming for.
If you're doing things like Maths and Science and you want straight A's. Then no, 1 months a joke.

Surely it would be easier to get good grades in maths/science with 1 month's revision than for essay subjects? With essay subjects you've got to perfect your exam technique and essay writing skills which is more of a gradual process. Whereas with science you just need to memorize the theory, and with maths just understand the concepts and practice.
Reply 7
Not for me. I'd start now if I were you.
Start now. No excuses! :smile:
Original post by justinawe
Surely it would be easier to get good grades in maths/science with 1 month's revision than for essay subjects? With essay subjects you've got to perfect your exam technique and essay writing skills which is more of a gradual process. Whereas with science you just need to memorize the theory, and with maths just understand the concepts and practice.

To be honest I found this. I took English, History, Maths and Biology at AS.

A lot of people did well in Biology after a week or two of hardcore revising. The same goes for Maths. Whereas English and History took you forever until you finally perfected that exam technique.

With maths? Fair enough, you might be able too in a month.
But with Sciences such as Chemistry, for example, I personally feel doing a whole units revision in a month alongside your other subjects, just isn't enough. You might understand the concepts, but I doubt you'll remember every little bit of detail. Whereas you're much more likely to be able to nail everything if you just start earlier. Plus you won't have too cram? Just make life easier and start revision earlier. I know that I wouldn't be able to do all my revision in one month...
Yeah
Original post by SheldonWannabe
With maths? Fair enough, you might be able too in a month.
But with Sciences such as Chemistry, for example, I personally feel doing a whole units revision in a month alongside your other subjects, just isn't enough. You might understand the concepts, but I doubt you'll remember every little bit of detail. Whereas you're much more likely to be able to nail everything if you just start earlier. Plus you won't have too cram? Just make life easier and start revision earlier. I know that I wouldn't be able to do all my revision in one month...

Sure, I agree, it's always better to start early. Just the way you said it:

Seemed to be implying that maths and science would be especially tough to revise for in 1 month, while I think it would be relatively easier to revise for maths/science within a month compared to essay subjects.
Reply 13
I always revised about a month before for my maths exams. Ended up with an A* in both maths. The key was to start at the right time and not burn yourself out.

For English Lit at AS I revised a monster 2.5 months before the exams. Got severely burnt out by the time of the exam but somehow scraped an A. Was on the dot 160/200. For A2 I started about 1.5 months before the exam and got nearly full marks in the exam.
Yeah it's enough but it depends on how much you procrastinate...
Seemed to be implying that maths and science would be especially tough to revise for in 1 month, while I think it would be relatively easier to revise for maths/science within a month compared to essay subjects.

Ahh, I see what you're saying. No, I didn't mean that, it's just there the only subjects I do, so I wouldn't know what it's like for other types of subjects. :tongue:
Reply 16
.got
Reply 17
What do you mean by hardcore? And I take math geo physics and ict so is 1 month enough?
I probably could have got away with that for everything except geography last year, it's just I couldn't live with myself after GCSEs wondering if I could have done better if I had worked a little harder
Reply 19
Most people I know doing all sciences and Further maths AS and A2 this year have only just started to revise now, including people doing STEP as well, and our exams start in a month...

Quick Reply

Latest