The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pjm600
While I sort of agree with your first point, in this case the premises is indeed their business; it's name is the Chymorvah Hotel.

However, if the owners are being truthful and the discrimination was really based on the fact that they weren't married, and they would accept a married homosexual couple, I don't see anything wrong here.

Hypothetically, if my religion dictated that I should not let black people share the same room, would I be within my rights to refuse them that room?

Original post by pjm600
While I sort of agree with your first point, in this case the premises is indeed their business; it's name is the Chymorvah Hotel.

However, if the owners are being truthful and the discrimination was really based on the fact that they weren't married, and they would accept a married homosexual couple, I don't see anything wrong here.

Hypothetically, if my religion dictated that I should not let black people share the same room, would I be within my rights to refuse them that room?

It's called Chymorah House.

Thanks for agreeing with me then.
First it is their home so they should be able to exercise the right of who they let in whether be it on homosexual grounds or if they dont like chavs etc. Next do all gays wear a hats that says their Gay? No its impossible to distinguish if a persons gay or not unless their like OMG I AMZ SO AWEZOME CUZ IM GAY.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by gb9876
First it is their home so they should be able to exercise the right of who they let in whether be it on homosexual grounds or if they dont like chavs etc. Next do all gays wear a hats that says their Faggots? No its impossible to distinguish if a persons gay or not unless their like OMG I AMZ SO AWEZOME CUZ IM GAY.

Their house is a business and you aren't allowed to refuse business to anybody based on their sexuality, religion, ethnicity or anything which is covered by equality laws. If they don't want people in their house they can stop running their house as a B&B. Also
not unless their like OMG I AMZ SO AWEZOME CUZ IM GAY. is rather bs seeing as I have never said that, and I haven't met a single gay person act like that, and I know gay people (surprising, I know! :rolleyes:)
Reply 23
Original post by Miracle Day
I'm referring only to this context. I agree entirely with the post in which I was quoting. Feel free to debate with him.

I will, buy the point you are making isn't covered by doggiefizzel's response so you're going to need to defend your point yourself.
Original post by Bluffroom
Their house is a business and you aren't allowed to refuse business to anybody based on their sexuality, religion, ethnicity or anything which is covered by equality laws. If they don't want people in their house they can stop running their house as a B&B. Also is rather bs seeing as I have never said that, and I haven't met a single gay person act like that, and I know gay people (surprising, I know! :rolleyes:)

Actually 2 of my Best friends are gay and they dont act like that. I was just using it as an example of a way the BB owners could find out if a persons gay or not the only way is if they tell the owners or start playing tonsil tennis in the lobby
Original post by Mad Vlad
I will, buy the point you are making isn't covered by doggiefizzel's response so you're going to need to defend your point yourself.

Nope. You have annoying liberal views as does most of the LGBT thread, and views which you try to force on everyone and if not accepted they're deemed inadequate.
And they said we were a free country.

So America was a more free country when it was racially segregated then yes?
Just part of the ongoing persecution of Christians.
Reply 28
Original post by gb9876
Actually 2 of my Best friends are gay and they dont act like that. I was just using it as an example of a way the BB owners could find out if a persons gay or not the only way is if they tell the owners or start playing tonsil tennis in the lobby

I think the whole debacle was more about "we will serve gay people, just not allow them to sleep together" - because they were planning on sharing a bed and the owners vehemently objected to it. But you have a point, albeit one which would probably wouldn't occur.
Original post by Bluffroom
Also is rather bs seeing as I have never said that, and I haven't met a single gay person act like that, and I know gay people (surprising, I know! :rolleyes:)

Really? I've met plenty.
Reply 30
Really? I've met plenty.

Well they are shallow/idiots then. That's like shouting "z0mg I'm so awesome because I'm straight/have big tits/black"
What's all the fuss about?

They did something wrong, they were rightly sued.

They've now become a charity so they can discriminate if they wish, the price for this is their B&B will have to serve a public benefit for the rest of it's existence.

Not that bad an outcome.
Reply 32
Original post by gb9876
First it is their home so they should be able to exercise the right of who they let in whether be it on homosexual grounds or if they dont like chavs etc. Next do all gays wear a hats that says their Faggots? No its impossible to distinguish if a persons gay or not unless their like OMG I AMZ SO AWEZOME CUZ IM GAY.

False. As a bed and breakfast with capacity for more than 6 guests, it is rated as a commercial property, rather than a private dwelling.
http://www.voa.gov.uk/corporate/Publications/Manuals/RatingManual/RatingManualVolume5/sect125/b-rat-man-vol5-s125.html

And no, LGBT people aren't all forced to wear a pink triangle so that we can all easily be identified. Virtually everyone I know had no inclination that I was gay until I told them. Walking into a bed and breakfast with your same-sex partner, asking for a double room is a bit of a giveaway to your sexuality.

And from a boring moderator perspective, please do not use pejorative homophobic language to describe LGBT people.
Original post by pjm600
I didn't say it was right, I was just saying they are not motivated by anything other than their religion, which they have rights to do. You have a problem where if you stop them you are infringing on their religious freedom, but if you don't they are infringing on another groups rights.
Original post by Alex_Jones
Throughout this you will start to realise you are completely wrong if you didn't want to let someone into your home based on their race etc then thats fine if however you ran a B&B which is a business and follows business discrimination laws then you ave no right to do that. Stop being a stupid freedoms populist.

I understand that it's the law.

I also understand that "In the city of York it is legal to murder a Scotsman within the ancient city walls, but only if he is carrying a bow and arrow"

I suppose you agree with this aswell?

And nah, me and my friends have discusses this and all have the same stance.
Reply 35
Nope. You have annoying liberal views as does most of the LGBT thread, and views which you try to force on everyone and if not accepted they're deemed inadequate.

I fail to see how liberal attitudes to equality are a bad thing - especially seeing as you're gay yourself. Would you prefer to be discriminated against?
Reply 36
Original post by monk_keys
What's all the fuss about?

They did something wrong, they were rightly sued.

They've now become a charity so they can discriminate if they wish, the price for this is their B&B will have to serve a public benefit for the rest of it's existence.

Not that bad an outcome.

The point is they did it out of spite, and it's sticking two fingers up to gay people and equality groups because they have found a loophole to bar gay people and are doing so. It's a shrine of backwardness more than a charity of benefit (except to homophobes)
Original post by DaveSmith99
So America was a more free country when it was racially segregated then yes?

I'm not saying we should segregate people on race, religion nor sexuality. We should however chose who we allow into our house, even if it doubles up as a business. If I run a hairdressers in my front room I should be allowed to decide who I want in there, especially if my religion is against it. It's perfectly understandable for a Christian not to want homosexuals staying in their house in my opinion. I do no agree with it, but believe it's their choice. If they didn't want me in their house I'd go elsewhere.

It's my opinion, and in terms of differing opinions it's pretty cutdown the middle. You won't change my views so don't bother.
Reply 38

Original post by Mad Vlad
I fail to see how liberal attitudes to equality are a bad thing - especially seeing as you're gay yourself. Would you prefer to be discriminated against?

You realise that liberalism is the views of most educated people because liberalism is about equality and the truth. The reason why most uni graduates and professors are liberals because academia is about seeking the truth and fairness for all. I was going to post it earlier, but as Vlad said, why are you so opposed to the idea that people who are subject to homophobia should be insulted? Who are you going to look to if you aren't liberal? The Facists and Conservatives?
Reply 39
It's called Chymorah House.

Thanks for agreeing with me then.

I don't know if I'm being misleading here, I'll try to re-explain.

The premises is clearly a business. It states on the website "our hotel" (1), has ample links to "book here", "to book", "choose a room", also displaying prices. Therefore it cannot be defined solely as a 'house', as in someone's residential property, as it also accepts business from customers.

We seem to all agree that a business has no right to discriminate against homosexual couples. Refusing business to a homosexual couple based solely on their sexuality (ignoring the couples claim for the sake of this argument) is obviously discrimination.

Therefore, regardless of whether or not the couple live there, they have no right to discriminate against homosexuals.

Latest

Trending

Trending