The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Miracle Day
I'm not saying we should segregate people on race, religion nor sexuality. We should however chose who we allow into our house, even if it doubles up as a business. If I run a hairdressers in my front room I should be allowed to decide who I want in there, especially if my religion is against it. It's perfectly understandable for a Christian not to want homosexuals staying in their house in my opinion. I do no agree with it, but believe it's their choice. If they didn't want me in their house I'd go elsewhere.

It's my opinion, and in terms of differing opinions it's pretty cutdown the middle. You won't change my views so don't bother.

But the point is, if it's a business such as a B&B it is a public dwelling you cannot be like "I want you, you and you in here. But you aren't allowed because I disagree with your existence for something arbitrary and you can't choose. Shoo" There are minorities in the public dwelling.
Original post by Bluffroom
The point is they did it out of spite, and it's sticking two fingers up to gay people and equality groups because they have found a loophole to bar gay people and are doing so. It's a shrine of backwardness more than a charity of benefit (except to homophobes)

spite - a desire to hurt annoy or offend someone.

I think it's probably so that they can run their b+b within their own values rather than to try and overtly hurt someone.

The only problem is that they were discriminating in a public environment which is what business is, and what a charity is not.
You realise that liberalism is the views of most educated people because liberalism is about equality and the truth. The reason why most uni graduates and professors are liberals because academia is about seeking the truth and fairness for all. I was going to post it earlier, but as Vlad said, why are you so opposed to the idea that people who are subject to homophobia should be insulted? Who are you going to look to if you aren't liberal? The Facists and Conservatives?

I'm not saying they shouldn't be insulted. I do not like these people, nor do I like their views.

I am open to the idea that they should have freedom to chose who may enter their home. Not who may enter their business, their cinema, their shop.. but their home.
It's their property, if they don't want to let gay couples into their home then they shouldn't be forced to.

So if a restaurant refuses to serve black people that's fine? It's their property after all right?
Reply 44
I'm not saying they shouldn't be insulted. I do not like these people, nor do I like their views.

I am open to the idea that they should have freedom to chose who may enter their home. Not who may enter their business, their cinema, their shop.. but their home.

Well their home shouldn't be in the public domain then should it? They voluntarily made their house into a B&B. They can always stop being a B&B or buy live in a house separate to the B&B?
I'm not saying we should segregate people on race, religion nor sexuality. We should however chose who we allow into our house, even if it doubles up as a business. If I run a hairdressers in my front room I should be allowed to decide who I want in there, especially if my religion is against it. It's perfectly understandable for a Christian not to want homosexuals staying in their house in my opinion. I do no agree with it, but believe it's their choice. If they didn't want me in their house I'd go elsewhere.

It's my opinion, and in terms of differing opinions it's pretty cutdown the middle. You won't change my views so don't bother.

If you choose to open up a hairdressers in your living room then no I don't think you should be allowed to discriminate against certain people. Ultimately, as with lots of other human rights conflicts, you have to decide which side has the better claim. Does someones rights to discriminate against homosexuals take precedence over a homosexuals right to be discriminated against or vice-versa? Of course its a little more complex than that, but that is essentially the argument.
Well their home shouldn't be in the public domain then should it? They voluntarily made their house into a B&B. They can always stop being a B&B or buy live in a house separate to the B&B?

I don't know. When contexts are thrown in like "What if it was a black couple" or "But it's a hotel, public domain" etc are thrown in I'm inclined to agree it's wrong and unfair but when I read this individual story about a couple not wanting a homosexual couple into their B&B I still feel like it's their decision.
Reply 47
I don't know. When contexts are thrown in like "What if it was a black couple" or "But it's a hotel, public domain" etc are thrown in I'm inclined to agree it's wrong and unfair but when I read this individual story about a couple not wanting a homosexual couple into their B&B I still feel like it's their decision.

Well then you are prejudiced against people of your own sexuality.
Original post by doggyfizzel
The issue being, turning away black people or fat people has no basis other than you just being a dick. Turning away gay/trans people not because they are dicks its because their religions, the religion of our state has anti LGBT views.

The issue isn't with the people, its with their beliefs. You come to a point where you have to force business owners to do something against their beliefs , which has far reaching ramifications for other situations, or you defend their rights. A present both sides have rights, which clash.

Tbh, they are in such a minority they should make them put up a sign saying no gay people or such. Then just as I would if a hotel said "no jews" I wouldn't take my business there. They can exercise their beliefs with all the customers they don't have.

but imagine if all hotels/ restaurants had those beliefs, they were the belief of the majority ( and they have been, civil rights and all that), how would there be any social change and also would it be fair on minorities...
Well then you are prejudiced against people of your own sexuality.

I'm sure I am
Reply 50
I'm sure I am ��

Well if you think that it's unacceptable that a black couple is served but have pity when gay people are refused service, you are prejudiced.

Also, your emoticon w/e the hell it is (these >>>��) don't show up.
Original post by bananaterracottapie
but imagine if all hotels/ restaurants had those beliefs, they were the belief of the majority ( and they have been, civil rights and all that), how would there be any social change and also would it be fair on minorities...
If that were the case, the other option of changing the law wouldn't be there either.
The issue being, turning away black people or fat people has no basis other than you just being a dick. Turning away gay/trans people not because they are dicks its because their religions, the religion of our state has anti LGBT views.

The issue isn't with the people, its with their beliefs. You come to a point where you have to force business owners to do something against their beliefs , which has far reaching ramifications for other situations, or you defend their rights. A present both sides have rights, which clash.

Tbh, they are in such a minority they should make them put up a sign saying no gay people or such. Then just as I would if a hotel said "no jews" I wouldn't take my business there. They can exercise their beliefs with all the customers they don't have.

I love it when I'm not clever enough to word something, and then someone does it for me <3

So if its not the same as letting in blacks or fat people because a religious belief then surely this would be fine:

I follow a religion which says people shouldn't be black, fat, gay or like hard boiled eggs.

I can stop them coming in then because its my religion right?

So my religion also preaches that these people shouldn't be allowed within 20 miles of me.

Thanks fine to right? It's my belief.

It also preaches I should kill them if I see them.

Still fine right?

Using religion as an excuse for evil is unacceptable whether it be racism, assault or murder.

I am ashamed at our society for allowing this.
Original post by Jacob :)
So if its not the same as letting in blacks or fat people because a religious belief then surely this would be fine:

I follow a religion which says people shouldn't be black, fat, gay or like hard boiled eggs.

I can stop them coming in then because its my religion right?

So my religion also preaches that these people shouldn't be allowed within 20 miles of me.

Thanks fine to right? It's my belief.

It also preaches I should kill them if I see them.

Still fine right?

Using religion as an excuse for evil is unacceptable whether it be racism, assault or murder.

I am ashamed at our society for allowing this.
You have completely and utterly missed the point I was making, and I'm guessing didn't even read my views.
Reply 54
I'm sure I am ������

Bizarre.
Reply 55

I don't understand.
You clearly realise that it would be wrong if the people were black. Why is it any different for homosexuals?
Well if you think that it's unacceptable that a black couple is served but have pity when gay people are refused service, you are prejudiced.

Also, your emoticon w/e the hell it is (these >>>��) don't show up.

Why do you always do this? I say one thing and you try and generalise it to every aspect of life.

The "public domain" quote in my post refers to if this was applied to everywhere, segregation by sexuality which I obviously disagree with.

To be honest the reason the couple never wanted them in was because if their faith, which I can sympathise with. It does not mean the couple are homophobic at all. This has nothing to do with irrational hatred towards black people. If we're not going to allow them to do this, please can we remove "God" from our national anthem.
You have completely and utterly missed the point I was making, and I'm guessing didn't even read my views.

Not really. You said it infringing on their right to practice their religion. They should not have those rights at all if they let them be discriminatory.
Reply 58
Why do you always do this? I say one thing and you try and generalise it to every aspect of life.

The "public domain" quote in my post refers to if this was applied to everywhere, segregation by sexuality which I obviously disagree with.

To be honest the reason the couple never wanted them in was because if their faith, which I can sympathise with. It does not mean the couple are homophobic at all. This has nothing to do with irrational hatred towards black people. If we're not going to allow them to do this, please can we remove "God" from our national anthem.

Because things like this should be compared with the rest of life - because it's to do with the lives of other people and how they are treated. Just because people are religious doesn't mean they have to follow everything. These people are the most hypocritical people in the world if they believe that homosexuality is wrong when it seems very likely coming from the look of the owners in the pic they are wearing poly-blend fabrics which are also condemned in the same section of the Bible. I don't sympathise with them because they think that a few words from 2000 years ago which do not fit in with society today are acceptible when they do a hell of a lot of things in that book which they supposedly shouldn't because they are condemned in sections such as Deuteronomy and Leviticus. Hell, I should have been executed at least 1000 times over for disobeying my parents as a child.
Original post by Pinkhead
I don't understand.
You clearly realise that it would be wrong if the people were black. Why is it any different for homosexuals?

Hmm. I believe these people should have rights for the issue and be able to chose who enters their house (regardless of whether it's a business but understand it isn't plausible because it would lead to more and more segregation, taking a step backwards.

So ultimately, I now agree with the consensus because of the greater good only. But do not believe the couple should be sued.

How's that?

Latest

Trending

Trending