The Student Room Group

North Dakota has banned abortions

Do you think that it'll increase or decrease unplanned pregnancies?

http://news.yahoo.com/north-dakota-lawmakers-approve-measure-could-ban-abortion-234631803.html
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Increase. Not sure how it would cause a decrease.
It seems quite a step backwards. It will just lead to backstreet abortions causing danger to women.
Shotgun weddings galore.

Its dumb, the kids grow up in disfunction unprepared households, don't have the environment they need, become delinquents, and go on to commit crime, use hard drugs, and all the other things that contribute to a thriving society.
Reply 4
...embarrassment to the rest of the US. It's 2013, for god's sake.
Reply 5
Good, it is always nice to hear about people sticking to biblical morality.
When I saw the thread title my heart stopped. I was hoping it was a lie, a troll thread. I immediately googled it and found this bit:

"The amendment would ban abortion in the state, without exceptions for rape, incest or life of the mother, and it could affect the legality of some forms of birth control, stem cell research and in vitro fertilization."

Truly horrific that, in 2013, abortion, even in cases of rape, has been banned rather than overturned. The representatives who voted yes should be ashamed of themselves. I'm hoping that the voters reject this when it's on the 2014 ballot. Worst comes to the worst, I suppose they could get an abortion in a different state, but it seems like a huge hassle for something which is pretty normal nowadays.
how obama can stand on stage and talk about how great a country is. when it has this **** going on. the front of that mother****er.

what a weak president of such a powerful country.

all to please the ****ing religious.
Reply 8
Given how controversial it seems there, its amazing to think that the US has a significantly higher abortion rate than here right? Just goes to show that demonising abortion doesn't exactly detract from the fact that being pregnant with a baby you can't deal is pure desperation - people will do what they have to.

Certainly, the single best way to prevent abortions, over and above banning them, is encouraging contraception. But of course, you're a 'slut' if you support that, according to republican supporters.

But anyway - unsafe abortions are the single highest cause for death in pregnancy worldwide. 70,000 deaths per year. Huge blow to women's rights, huge blow to healthcare. Everyone loses.

Original post by zedaa
Do you think that it'll increase or decrease unplanned pregnancies?

That would be unlikely. Indeed, some even suggest that banning abortions leads to women feeling abandoned and actually increases the number of abortions. That's pretty dubious, but its certainly unclear how much banning them actually reduces them.
(edited 11 years ago)
i agree with this. Abortion= Murder
Reply 10
I disagree with this. :dots:
Original post by pjm600
Increase. Not sure how it would cause a decrease.

people might be more cautious if dont have safety net of abortion....not what i think personally tho.
So in the same week America refuses to ban assault weapons and instead moves to ban abortion in one of its states?

Murica, **** yeah! :stupid:
Surely women will just go to South Dakota or Minnesota to have the abortion? So basically this new law will make women drive a bit further in order to have their fetus sucked out, nice to see law makers justifying their salaries :rolleyes:
Original post by iamgreatness

Debatable

Original post by Darth Stewie
Surely women will just go to South Dakota or Minnesota to have the abortion? So basically this new law will make women drive a bit further in order to have their fetus sucked out, nice to see law makers justifying their salaries :rolleyes:

Assuming they will be able to afford to travel however far they have to go. If it involves a young woman who is on the breadline then perhaps not.
Original post by thunder_chunky
Debatable

Assuming they will be able to afford to travel however far they have to go. If it involves a young woman who is on the breadline then perhaps not.

there's nothing debatable about it.
there's nothing debatable about it.

Actually there is. Putting that aside for the moment, the mere fact that they are (potentially) going to be legislating so that a woman would no longer be able to make the decision herself despite the fact that it's her body and her life that's being affected, that's ridiculous.
Original post by thunder_chunky
Actually there is. Putting that aside for the moment, the mere fact that they are (potentially) going to be legislating so that a woman would no longer be able to make the decision herself despite the fact that it's her body and her life that's being affected, that's ridiculous.

nonsense. Do i have the right to beat somebody to death, because its my body and i have the right to do what i want with my body, e.g swinging and punching at someone? ridiculous argument, try again.
Reply 18

let the killing begin then.
Original post by cl_steele
let the killing begin then.

advocating murder, even online, is illegal.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending