The Student Room Group

Got my F581 (OCR) Script for Jan 2013 back today

So to my suprise I scored 18/18 on the essay (which is what I thought I messed up on) but lost significant marks on elasticity/negative and positive externalities, and I was wondering if anyone could guide me on whether its worth a remark.
I got 46/60 btw so 2 marks of an A.
Btw I hope this is not illegal, I am cutting off all official information about my candidature and just seeking advice.

Screenshots below:

Spoiler

There are a few other questions I have lost marks on as well, but I felt slightly undermined with a 4/8 for that amount of detail on elasticity.
What does everyone think? Again I hope I am not breaking any rules, I am just seeking advice from OCR economists
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
Original post by Pride
We don't know... We aren't the examiners, we're just students like you.

I have never seen a negative PES figure on an Economics exam before, so I bet there'd be a mark for commenting on that. But we just don't know. Just that these elasticity questions tend to be very similar, 2 or 3 marks for calculations, 2 or 3 for explaining what they mean, 2 or 3 for comments.

Just to actually get someone to answer my question here; I did the standard elasticity thing but they didn't give me at least 6/8 marks, if you look at the screenshots I mentioned ceteris paribus, estimates change over time etc but no marks were awarded
Reply 3
Tbh for 2 marks it's not really worth having it remarked, if you really want to improve your overall grade then it's better to either re sit it, or just aim to get high grades on your other modules. Also with economics papers they very rarely get remarked as higher according to my teacher, especially for f581
Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by kirstyy93
Tbh for 2 marks it's not really worth having it remarked, if you really want to improve your overall grade then it's better to either re sit it, or just aim to get high grades on your other modules. Also with economics papers they very rarely get remarked as higher according to my teacher, especially for f581
Hope that helps :smile:
Yeah true, but still even if it doesn't do up I'd be thinking 'what if' and I am resitting regardless though, but 9 exams sheesh. I'll discuss it with my teacher/any other points of view on here, thanks though
Reply 5
Original post by Robbie242
Yeah true, but still even if it doesn't do up I'd be thinking 'what if' and I am resitting regardless though, but 9 exams sheesh. I'll discuss it with my teacher/any other points of view on here, thanks though

I see what you're saying, but I would not bother with a remark or resit.

I did this exam too as a retake, and got one mark worse than before, 74 instead of 75. But I did the first A2 exam, and got 90, I'd already got an A in the AS macro exam too, just about. What I'm saying is that it's easily recoverable. That particular exam is a bit weird I think, it's all pretty standard stuff, but for some reason it can be difficult to get all those marks.

The proper economics starts at A2, and I reckon you can easily claim back those 2 marks into the A in your next exams. They (AS micro and A2) are 'harder' exams, in terms of content. But the marks are available if you know your stuff, the macro exam should be standard, it's very do-able. I would recommend you leave this exam alone.

by the way, I remember some of us were discussing what the essay question could be about, we were talking about how the examiners comment suggested it wouldn't be the typical externality question. It's nice to see you got 18 at the end of all that analysis of the clues :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Pride

I did this exam too as a retake, and got one mark worse than before, 74 instead of 75. But I did the first A2 exam, and got 90, I'd already got an A in the AS macro exam too, just about. What I'm saying is that it's easily recoverable. That particular exam is a bit weird I think, it's all pretty standard stuff, but for some reason it can be difficult to get all those marks.

The proper economics starts at A2, and I reckon you can easily claim back those 2 marks into the A in your next exams. They (AS micro and A2) are 'harder' exams, in terms of content. But the marks are available if you know your stuff, the macro exam should be standard, it's very do-able. I would recommend you leave this exam alone.

by the way, I remember some of us were discussing what the essay question could be about, we were talking about how the examiners comment suggested it wouldn't be the typical externality question. It's nice to see you got 18 at the end of all that analysis of the clues :smile:
I see what you mean but I'd like to apply to Cambridge next year for maths hopefully and economics is my 3rd most relevant subject
Reply 7
Original post by Pride

What if I'm trying to apply to Cambridge with 90+ (as this is my 3rd most relevant subject unfortunately I didn't do a science) so surely a resit would be worth it to bump up my ums, also with regards to a remark I have a possible 14 marks to get across the paper, it may be possible I will check with my econ teacher.

And Yeah I will take this to A2 but I'd like my application to be as strong as possible this year.
I heard this story as well, lots of A2 students got 90+ in their econ exam but then about 75 in f581, only one person in our class got an A, I wish the boundaries weren't so high combated with a tough markscheme. But yeah delighted with 18/18, I have until monday to decide on a remark or not
Reply 8
What if I'm trying to apply to Cambridge with 90+ (as this is my 3rd most relevant subject unfortunately I didn't do a science) so surely a resit would be worth it to bump up my ums, also with regards to a remark I have a possible 14 marks to get across the paper, it may be possible I will check with my econ teacher.

And Yeah I will take this to A2 but I'd like my application to be as strong as possible this year.
I heard this story as well, lots of A2 students got 90+ in their econ exam but then about 75 in f581, only one person in our class got an A, I wish the boundaries weren't so high combated with a tough markscheme. But yeah delighted with 18/18, I have until monday to decide on a remark or not

I see what you're saying about Cambridge. mmm... I would still not go for the remark. You say there are 14 more possible marks, but it's unlikely it'll go up to the 90+ UMS you're after. If it really matters, you can retake it in June.

Have you got 90 ums in your other exams then? Did maths (I assume further maths, so core 1 and 2?) go well?

The problem with all this is that you'll spend so much time trying to make sure you have 90 ums, that you'll forget about just getting good grades. Maths at Cambridge isn't the only good course for Maths in the country, is it really worth lumping extra exams on yourself, just to be able to apply to one particular university? What if it had a negative effect on your other exams?
Reply 9
Original post by Pride
I see what you're saying about Cambridge. mmm... I would still not go for the remark. You say there are 14 more possible marks, but it's unlikely it'll go up to the 90+ UMS you're after. If it really matters, you can retake it in June.

Have you got 90 ums in your other exams then? Did maths (I assume further maths, so core 1 and 2?) go well?

The problem with all this is that you'll spend so much time trying to make sure you have 90 ums, that you'll forget about just getting good grades. Maths at Cambridge isn't the only good course for Maths in the country, is it really worth lumping extra exams on yourself, just to be able to apply to one particular university? What if it had a negative effect on your other exams?
All of this is very true, I feel with Micro though I could've done better and if it was a normal OCR set up I would've got the A. My other exams went okish, with Maths being the best, 98ums in c1 but a C in history, so I really need to up my game on exam technique for the summer. If I don't get them remarked (btw I don't have to pay for the remark for economics) then I'll be thinking 'what if' probably if I got an A in micro I'd work my ass off and try get 90-100 in macro. My other unis are all around the Cambridge range though more lenient on alevel ums, for example Bristol, Warwick, Exeter
Reply 10
All of this is very true, I feel with Micro though I could've done better and if it was a normal OCR set up I would've got the A. My other exams went okish, with Maths being the best, 98ums in c1 but a C in history, so I really need to up my game on exam technique for the summer. If I don't get them remarked (btw I don't have to pay for the remark for economics) then I'll be thinking 'what if' probably if I got an A in micro I'd work my ass off and try get 90-100 in macro. My other unis are all around the Cambridge range though more lenient on alevel ums, for example Bristol, Warwick, Exeter

okay
Reply 11
Original post by Pride
okay
haha sorry I do go on a bit, thanks regardless
hey i did this exam and got 48/60 80 ums, i am gonna get my paper back on monday, i am pretty puzzled where i dropped 12 marks.
Reply 13
Original post by inter empire
hey i did this exam and got 48/60 80 ums, i am gonna get my paper back on monday, i am pretty puzzled where i dropped 12 marks.
It was really weird for elasticity they didn't credit the usual stuff and same for externalities, but they were lenient on the essay for some reason? :confused:
It was really weird for elasticity they didn't credit the usual stuff and same for externalities, but they were lenient on the essay for some reason? :confused:

yh i think i might of lost marks there aswell as i wrote some similar stuff to you (but no way as near as much) but i think i also lost some point on PPC question :angry:
Reply 15
yh i think i might of lost marks there aswell as i wrote some similar stuff to you (but no way as near as much) but i think i also lost some point on PPC question :angry:
Oh I got 5/6 for the PPC, so we can compare our breakdown of marks when we get them back, so if we do need to resit then we can know exactly where we went wrong/right if that's fine with you :P
Oh I got 5/6 for the PPC, so we can compare our breakdown of marks when we get them back, so if we do need to resit then we can know exactly where we went wrong/right if that's fine with you :P

Sure thats fine, but i dont think i am gonna resit i just want to concentrate on F582:smile:
1) 1/4
2a) 2/2
2b) 5/6
3a) 2/2
3b) 5/6
3c) 6/6
4a) 2/2
4b) 5/8
5a) 2/3
5b) 1/3
6) 17/18

total 48/60 80ums A
Reply 18
1) 1/4
2a) 2/2
2b) 5/6
3a) 2/2
3b) 5/6
3c) 6/6
4a) 2/2
4b) 5/8
5a) 2/3
5b) 1/3
6) 17/18

total 48/60 80ums A
Woah bang on, nice one mate, I saw a mistake in the elasticity marking so sent mine off for a remark :smile:
Reply 19
Woah bang on, nice one mate, I saw a mistake in the elasticity marking so sent mine off for a remark :smile:

Is it possible that you upload your 18/18 questions just for some guidance and i find f581 18 markers a lot harder than those in f582

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending