The Student Room Group

Maths advice

Urhm yeh im in Yr 12 doing maths and im doing physics but i didnt do M1 but S1 instead. Next year for my applied module its compulsory for me to do S2 but thats okay because i dont think im taking physics to next year as its not really relevant for dentistry/medicine. I was wondering whether if I do S2 i need to get 90ums but if i do M1 (i know about half the syllabus from physics + self teaching) i need 80ums for an a* as its an AS module. Basically if i sit S2 and M1 but say i get 87ums in S2 and 85ums in M1, i would want M1 to count as i would have a higher chance of an a*. But would edexcel use my S1 result instead of my M1 result as it is higher? Hope this makes sense :smile: Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by That_Clever_Guy
Urhm yeh im in Yr 12 doing maths and im doing physics but i didnt do M1 but S1 instead. Next year for my applied module its compulsory for me to do S2 but thats okay because i dont think im taking physics to next year as its not really relevant for dentistry/medicine. I was wondering whether if I do S2 i need to get 90ums but if i do M1 (i know about half the syllabus from physics + self teaching) i need 80ums for an a* as its an AS module. Basically if i sit S2 and M1 but say i get 87ums in S2 and 85ums in M1, i would want M1 to count as i would have a higher chance of an a*. But would edexcel use my S1 result instead of my M1 result as it is higher? Hope this makes sense :smile: Thanks

You do not need to get 90 in S2 for an A*

You only need an average 90 over C3 and C4
Original post by TenOfThem
You do not need to get 90 in S2 for an A*

You only need an average 90 over C3 and C4

Nah i swear you need to average 90ums in all A2 modules including applied ones :s

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Nah i swear you need to average 90ums in all A2 modules including applied ones :s

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well you don't.
Not for A level maths.
For A level maths you need 80% mean and 180/200 in Core 3 and Core 4.

Posted from TSR Mobile

For an A* in Further Maths, yes. For normal Maths, you only need 90 average across C3 and C4 and an average of 80% across all 3.
Original post by Hormonal
For an A* in Further Maths, yes. For normal Maths, you only need 90 average across C3 and C4 and an average of 80% across all 3.

*6*
Original post by Samuel Brennan
*6*

Oh yeah, I meant that
Reply 8

No

Otherwise I would not have said that you didn't
No

Otherwise I would not have said that you didn't

Thanks for clearing that up :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for clearing that up :smile:

in response to the other element of your post

if you do s1 s2 and m1 then they would use the best combination of

s1+s2 or s1+m1

note - this applies to the majority of boards

I think there is one board (an international one) that acts differently (including what is needed for an A*) so which board are you?
in response to the other element of your post

if you do s1 s2 and m1 then they would use the best combination of

s1+s2 or s1+m1

note - this applies to the majority of boards

I think there is one board (an international one) that acts differently (including what is needed for an A*) so which board are you?

Okay thanks :smile: and i do edexcel

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Okay thanks :smile: and i do edexcel

Posted from TSR Mobile

Then all I have said is so :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest