The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cl_steele
considering how long we spent trying to capture tht pesky country itd be a shame to let them go so easily...

Was that banter or are you just being a chopper?
Original post by L i b
They now believe in negotiated entry.

As for waiting until Scottish independence, that simply isn't good enough for anyone.

Quite. The Scottish electors are being asked to vote for something inadequately defined. At the time of the vote they won't know what currency arrangements would be in place (thought they will know, even if they don't accept, that they won't have control of their currency); they will have no idea what terms they might get for EU membership (a gaping hole in their knowledge); they will have no idea what costs they will incur in repatriating the nuclear bases to the UK.

A leap in the dark, economically, if ever there was one. Is it worth the notional freedom?
Reply 1402
Original post by Good bloke
A leap in the dark, economically, if ever there was one. Is it worth the notional freedom?

...still regurgitating crap then I see. :rolleyes:
Original post by Tycho

You must know the feeling.

I presume you think EU membership negotiations, a currency decision and assessment of the costs of nuclear base repatriation will all take place before the vote. I wonder how you think this is possible.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Tycho

hows he regurgitating crap? I've seen crap flowing from one side of this debate and its the one that's asking us to take a leap of faith when they keep getting caught out telling porkies
Original post by Good bloke

Scared of the unknown? What is life without taking risks?

Anyway, I see the government are putting 60m towards West Ham's new stadium, great choice of investment there.

Talking about biased news sources, clutching at straws.
Original post by cowsforsale

I would submit that governments are not there to gamble with their citizens' financial wellbeing.

Anyway, I see the government are putting 60m towards West Ham's new stadium, great choice of investment there.

WHU seem to get a £600 million facility for £25 million down and £2 million a year. Disgraceful and shocking!

One wonders (a) why they need such a sign (unless it is for Sturgeon to use as a paperweight on her desk and (b) why they couldn't use Scottish steel. That is an own goal, but well within the traditions of Scottish football. :biggrin:
Original post by cowsforsale

You'll have to show me the link for the 60m for the west ham stadium. I'm worrried that it may be as from the same info source that stated that Scottish Money is being used to pay for London Sewers. i.e. Made up. but to echo good blokes sentiments, the West Ham facility may even make money for the tax payer.after all it's a 99 year lease. (Maybe Maths Tutor should explain NPV and IRR to you.) I'm still waiting to see my return for my Tax money that went to Holyrood and the Trams.

You've lost me on the biased news source thing. Would you prefer NewsnetwScoitland or the half a dozen on line Yes campaign websites that the more dim witted of society use as source? You've seen my online example of lizard people haven't you?

And yes. I am worried about the unkown, as I'm not a child, or somebody who expects society to look after me. Remember, somebody has to pay for the Nats dream of securing jobs in Brussels for their leaders (If we're in the EU of course, as that's still unsure). I however have things such a mortgages, pensions and a career that I'd like to worry about so you'll forgive me, and 70% of the population having a little more pragmatic out look on life than your fantasy.
(edited 11 years ago)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UprxM_aBWk

No Anglophobic sentiment in Scotland at all.
Original post by Midlander
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UprxM_aBWk

No Anglophobic sentiment in Scotland at all.

Come on. That's funny.
Original post by MatureStudent36
Come on. That's funny.

My sides are splitting.

Now to go and worship my poster of Bobby Moore holding the Jules Rimet.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
But then again I believe in the welfare state.

If you REALLY believe in the welfare state, you are gravely mistaken in your support for Westminster rule over Scotland.

It is the SNP government in Scotland which is doing its best to protect the welfare state in Scotland.

In the meantime the Tories and their Lib-Dem allies at Westminster are busy destroying the welfare state. Apart from their record on the NHS and tuition fees in England, they have just brought in the 'bedroom tax' which will penalise those on housing benefit who have an extra bedroom.

Labour will no doubt cut "deeper and faster" if it forms the next government at Westminster.

Johann 'something for nothing' Lamont has set up a 'Cuts Commission' which will recommend ways of cutting back the welfare state in Scotland. And it will conveniently report after the Independence referendum, when Labour in Scotland will show its true Tory colours.
But you're advocating a rather selfish mentality of just look after yourself.

Not at all.

I believe that an Independent Scotland will be able to create a fairer and more equitable society. It will elect governments that represent the views of the population and effect policies which are in tune with the beliefs of the population.

With Westminster rule you get a government by a party that got 1 MP elected from Scotland. And before you start about their Lib-Dem allies, they betrayed the people who voted for them and therefore have no legitimacy. That was proved by their near wipeout in the last Scottish election.

And what did New Labour do for Scotland in their 13 years of power? They INCREASED the gap between the rich and the poor.

(Well of course they did bring a 'parish council' to Scotland and killed Independence 'stone dead'.)
Although i'm pretty sure i'll be voting 'no' in the referendum, i'm not totally against the idea of independence. The main problem for me is that if it were going to happen, I wouldn't want it to be under Alex Salmond. There is next to no information available, and his response to nearly everything about what an independent Scotland would be like is "we will negotiate this if the referendum is successful". He's crossing his fingers and hoping the population is stupid enough to vote for him based solely on braveheart-inspired nationalism. His tactics are so frightfully obvious. I do think 16 year olds should get the vote, but he's only wanting for this because he thinks young people will be malleable and naive enough to fall for this "freedom from the english" style bid for independence, which I honestly believe won't work; there was a vote within our year group (which consists of 16 and 17 year olds) about independence, and out of 60 students only 4 said they'd vote for independence.
the money fir the sewers came from a central fund.

Original post by L i b
Not a single penny of state money has been spent on the project you refer to. Not a single penny. It is owned by a private water company and upgrades to sewers are entirely their responsibility.

Could you two perhaps pool your 'reputable sources' of information as they couldn't be very reputable since you have drawn completely contradictory conclusions from them.
(edited 11 years ago)
Was that banter or are you just being a chopper?

Excuse me?
Original post by wibletg
Come on mate, some reputable news sources please? I don't even care if it's the Scotsman, anything is better than 'newsnetscotland'.

Look at the latest readership figures of the Scotsman and the rest of the 'mainstream' media and compare them with the readership figures of newsnetscotland.com.

You will notice that those of the former are rapidly going down whereas those of the latter are rapidly going up.

More and more people are realising that newsnetscotland.com is far more reliable than the Scotsman etc.
Reply 1417
Original post by Maths Tutor
Look at the latest readership figures of the Scotsman and the rest of the 'mainstream' media and compare them with the readership figures of newsnetscotland.com.

You will notice that those of the former are rapidly going down whereas those of the latter are rapidly going up.

More and more people are realising that newsnetscotland.com is far more reliable than the Scotsman etc.

Would you be able to provide me with a (non biased) source for these figures? I can't seem to find them via google.

You'll have to send me the link to that information. Can you try and break down the numbers for print and access by the Internet as well.

to act as a comparison can you get me de spiegal, Le monde and the Washington post so we can see if there's a global pattern please. I think you'll find their is. But the rather insular outlook on life of the SNP supporters doesn't help.

reference more people using newsnetscotland can you get me those figures as well from an independent source and as a comparison get me Internet access numbers to fetish websites as well please.

the only information that I can find to back your claim up is from newsnetscotland itself.

http://newsnetscotland.com/index.php/scottish-news/in-brief/5619-scottish-newspaper-circulation-continues-to-fall

Sorry for using Goldings law but that's like getting a 1930s nazi quoting mein kampf as gospel.

i believe that maths tutor is a political activist as he's using cut and paste arguments.
(edited 11 years ago)
Not at all.

I believe that an Independent Scotland will be able to create a fairer and more equitable society. It will elect governments that represent the views of the population and effect policies which are in tune with the beliefs of the population.

With Westminster rule you get a government by a party that got 1 MP elected from Scotland. And before you start about their Lib-Dem allies, they betrayed the people who voted for them and therefore have no legitimacy. That was proved by their near wipeout in the last Scottish election.

And what did New Labour do for Scotland in their 13 years of power? They INCREASED the gap between the rich and the poor.

(Well of course they did bring a 'parish council' to Scotland and killed Independence 'stone dead'.)

I think you'll find the SnP is doing a great job at increasing the gap between rich and poor itself.

i like the rabid hatred of the lib dems. You did read the leaked SNP papers where they say in private they'll have to go against most of their promises didnt you. Just in case you missed it. Here it is.

http://m.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/snp-s-secret-plans-to-cut-spending-revealed-1-2822794

So what happens when labour gets in that does represent the scottish vote? Will you climb back into your hole?
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending