The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Economics at Durham (L100) or Economics and Chinese at Edinburgh (LT11)

Hi :smile:

I got offers from the two above and have no idea which one to firm:
Which one is most prestigeous?
Which one is most advanced, challenging?
Which brings the best work prospects?

Thanks in advance to anyone who give a (useful) reply
Reply 1
Hey, well done on your offers! :biggrin: Both really good - personally though, you've got to consider whether you'd prefer doing pure economics or economics and chinese (I assume it's a 50:50 split - you'd do less optional modules I would think)

Economics and Chinese would probably be the harder degree, especially if you're taking it up from scratch; they're both really well known universities, perhaps Edinburgh slightly more so... you have until May, take your time and think it over... (that being said though, I prefer Durham much more as a university...)

Hopefully I've been of some help... :3 Good luck on your decision! ^^
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Linguist-Z
Hey, well done on your offers! :biggrin: Both really good - personally though, you've got to consider whether you'd prefer doing pure economics or economics and chinese (I assume it's a 50:50 split - you'd do less optional modules I would think)

Economics and Chinese would probably be the harder degree, especially if you're taking it up from scratch; they're both really well known universities, perhaps Edinburgh slightly more so... you have until May, take your time and think it over... (that being said though, I prefer Durham much more as a university...)

Hopefully I've been of some help... :3 Good luck on your decision! ^^

Thanks a lot for your very helpful reply!
Hmm pure Economics would leave me with more options, while Economics and Chinese would mostly prepare me for working with Chinese business or economics and working in Asia...

So Edinburgh is slightly more known, while Durham is nicer? How is Durham nicer?

Taking Chinese up from scratch wouldn't be so much of a problem, I've lived there for several years so I sorta speak it
Reply 3
Also, the Durham course is an BA, while the Edinburgh one is a MA honours course - what's the difference?
Original post by misso2013
Also, the Durham course is an BA, while the Edinburgh one is a MA honours course - what's the difference?

It's a naming convention. In Scotland first degrees are typically a year longer than in England and for Arts course the degree awarded is styled an MA.

The more important consideration here might very well be that extra year, and still more so if the Chinese component of the Edinburgh degree requires as well a year abroad. Is it the case that you're weighing a 5 year undergraduate qualification against a 3 year one? If so, this would seem to me a more significant factor than asking after which university is the better known.
Reply 5
Original post by cambio wechsel
It's a naming convention. In Scotland first degrees are typically a year longer than in England and for Arts course the degree awarded is styled an MA.

The more important consideration here might very well be that extra year, and still more so if the Chinese component of the Edinburgh degree requires as well a year abroad. Is it the case that you're weighing a 5 year undergraduate qualification against a 3 year one? If so, this would seem to me a more significant factor than asking after which university is the better known.

Thanks :smile: uhuh, I did not realise that the course would be 5 years long, that is definitely a more significant factor...

This made my decision-making much easier, thanks again!
Reply 6
Just another thing you should consider: the Edinburgh course seems very much geared towards a career in China, or Asia - are you sure that's what you want?
Zooming in so early, while doing your undergrad, might prove limiting for your future studies and career, so I would consider the Durham one a broader and more well-suited course if you're not 100% sure that you want to work in China...
Reply 7
Original post by ivy45
Just another thing you should consider: the Edinburgh course seems very much geared towards a career in China, or Asia - are you sure that's what you want?
Zooming in so early, while doing your undergrad, might prove limiting for your future studies and career, so I would consider the Durham one a broader and more well-suited course if you're not 100% sure that you want to work in China...

Thanks for your reply as well!

Yes, by this point I've decided to firm my Durham offer - it's a shorter and more general course and I'm not sure where I want to go or what I want to do yet...
Original post by misso2013
Thanks :smile: uhuh, I did not realise that the course would be 5 years long, that is definitely a more significant factor...

wait on. I didn't tell you that this course is 5 years long, I asked you whether it was... Have you checked it?
Reply 9
Congratulations on your offers :smile:
I am thinking about applying for Economics and Chinese at Edinburgh. I notice that you do IB and I do not mean to sound intrusive/rude, but do you mind me asking what your offer was?

Quick Reply

Latest