The Student Room Group

Covering letter

I'm not really sure how to write a cover letter as a student. All of the examples I've seen seem to be done by qualified professionals, any help?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You use a cover letter to explain why you think you are suitable for the job, and what skills you have that are of relevance to the role you are applying for, as well as what you are hoping to gain from having such a role, and what benefits you can provide to the company. As a student you can include such things as: what you've learnt so far on your course and want to explore further in an independent and professional capacity; the value of time management and organisation; commitment to learning and endeavouring to improve yourself, etc. etc.

Basically, it's a chance to 'sell yourself', to talk about yourself and provide information that an application/CV may not specifically include.
Original post by LewisG123
I'm not really sure how to write a cover letter as a student. All of the examples I've seen seem to be done by qualified professionals, any help?

Posted from TSR Mobile

A covering letter is a vital part of the CV application. It gives you the chance to explain why you want to do this work, why you want to work for this employer, and why you’d be good at the job. It’s like a double check that the employer has understood your CV.

A covering letter is the twin document to a CV and should be in the same font, margins etc. It is also not more than one side of A4, with the main body of text forming about half of the page. The main body of the letter should be about 300-350 words long. Otherwise, the layout is the same as any business letter.

It should begin with a clear statement, This is an application for [job] as advertised in [location], reference [if available]

Then a short paragraph (3-4 sentences) saying why you want to do this sort of work.

Then a short paragraph (3-4 sentences) saying why you want to work for this organisation.

Then a longer paragraph which draws together the points of your CV and highlights your three most relevant skills

Then close confirming anything they say is mandatory (often nothing) and thanks.

The reason for using this structure is that it contains an implicit argument that goes 'I want to do this work, I want to do it with you and I'd be good at it'. You don't directly say that, but that is the message you should be leaving in your reader's head by the end.
Reply 3
I'll post you an example of a cover letter tomorrow.
Reply 4
Original post by ForgetMe
I'll post you an example of a cover letter tomorrow.

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
I applied for a PT job once and it said I should give a covering letter and CV. My covering letter was:

Dear Sir/ Madam,

I would like to apply for the part time sales assistant job as advertised on your window. Please find my CV enclosed for your consideration.

Yours Faithfully,

[My Name]

... I got an interview!

That's not how you do a covering letter though. Google 'Covering Letter' for some examples.
Reply 6
Original post by Runninground
I applied for a PT job once and it said I should give a covering letter and CV. My covering letter was:

Dear Sir/ Madam,

I would like to apply for the part time sales assistant job as advertised on your window. Please find my CV enclosed for your consideration.

Yours Faithfully,

[My Name]

... I got an interview!

That's not how you do a covering letter though. Google 'Covering Letter' for some examples.

Is that really a cover letter? It doesn't seem to be the one.. I've did a lot of search on the Google and haven't really found good examples..
Reply 7
Okay, I'm not a pro at writing cover letters as haven't seen a good example of that, but recently got an information pack on CV/cover letter and there's an example of a letter:

Name Surname
21 Westminster Street
Liverpool
L2 4BH
Telephone: 0299 235 3458
E-mail address: [email protected] (all this should be on the right side of a letter)

22nd March 2013

Ms Cindy Alley
HR Manager
The Grange Hotel
Manchester
M17 1BB

Dear Ms Alley

Re: Hospitality Manager Vacancy, ref 234hosp

Please find enclosed a copy of my CV in response to the advert for the above vacancy advertised in the Manchester Evening News on 17th March 2013.

I am currently working as Assistant Hospitality Manager at The Reynolds Hotel and Conference Centre in Liverpool. I have seven years‘ experience within the hospitality industry at various levels, including four years working in management roles.

These roles have allowed me to develop my skills in a range of areas including food and beverage operations; accommodation management; marketing; conference and event management; financial management; food safety and human resources. This experience, combined with my Foundation Degree in Hospitality Management, has provided me with broad ranging skills.

As the Grange Hotel is a new venture, I feel that my experience of the whole hospitality operation would be a valuable asset in this role. Building up the client base of Lloyds Hotel in Chester taught me about the particular importance of effective marketing in making a success of a new business. I hope this experience can help The Grange Hotel to become one of Manchester‘s leading hotels.

I am now looking to use these skills and progress to a more senior role. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss my experience with you in more detail and look forward to hearing from you in the near future.

Yours sincerely
Name Surname

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is just a basic example and you can always use your experience/skills with the same template. I'm not sure if this is the right template, but for me honestly, this is far the best one that I've seen. You can also check https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/advice/getajob/cvs/Pages/writeacoveringletter.aspx as this cover letter that I've written I think is from that website.
(edited 11 years ago)
Is that really a cover letter? It doesn't seem to be the one.. I've did a lot of search on the Google and haven't really found good examples..

No, but I didn't know what a covering letter was.

What job are you applying to?
Reply 9
Jack wills, it'll be good to have one done just in case I get asked for future jobs as well

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
No, but I didn't know what a covering letter was.

What job are you applying to?

When you ask a question for someone else, quote his/her name as it's confusing :colondollar:
When you ask a question for someone else, quote his/her name as it's confusing :colondollar:

Whoops, I thought you were the OP :redface:
Reply 12
Whoops, I thought you were the OP :redface:

Bad thinking :tongue:
Original post by LewisG123

Posted from TSR Mobile

In a cover letter, you write that you are applying for x job (and where it was advertised). You also put why you thing you would be good for the job, your qualties etc. And also say that you have included your cv/application form. And that you looking forward to hearing from them soon etc.
Reply 14
Original post by Emma:-)
In a cover letter, you write that you are applying for x job (and where it was advertised). You also put why you thing you would be good for the job, your qualties etc. And also say that you have included your cv/application form. And that you looking forward to hearing from them soon etc.

What do you do in cases when you have to write why you want to work in that company if in job ad there's no name of a company? Or you just omit that part why you want to work in that company in your cover letter?
What do you do in cases when you have to write why you want to work in that company if in job ad there's no name of a company? Or you just omit that part why you want to work in that company in your cover letter?

In job adverts, they should mention the name of the company. Otherwise you wont know who you would be working for. If in doubt, leave that bit out.
I'm going to use some of this advice!

Posted from TSR Mobile e
Reply 17
Original post by Emma:-)
In job adverts, they should mention the name of the company. Otherwise you wont know who you would be working for. If in doubt, leave that bit out.

There are lots of companies as 'Company Confidential' and you cannot even know which company is that unless in the e-mail that they have provided, is somehow mentioned the company's name. Another case, a recruitment agency usually is looking for their client and you don't know the client's name :K:
Reply 18
I just got a job there and In my cover letter I just wrote a few short paragraphs about myself, my work experience and why I thought they should hire me. Then in the interview bang on about customer service and how well you can represent the brand.
Good Luck!
There are lots of companies as 'Company Confidential' and you cannot even know which company is that unless in the e-mail that they have provided, is somehow mentioned the company's name. Another case, a recruitment agency usually is looking for their client and you don't know the client's name :K:

I don't know why you were negged. That's a reason companies use recruitment agencies- so their competitors don't know they are hiring.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending