The Student Room Group

Studying Medicine Abroad

Hi. I'm at college at the moment, and applied for medicine this year. Unfortunately I received my fourth rejection today, and am looking for alternatives.

I am currently studying Bio, Chem and Maths. I'm predicted A*AA, although after the January results, it's looking more likely that I'll get A*A*A.

I would like to know if there are any GMC accredited universities abroad I could apply to, for which I would not need to sit entrance exams or interviews and could still get in, this application cycle. I've tried researching but there is very limited information available, and the agencies that claim they can help also haven't given much info- and are actually quite expensive.

I know its alot to ask of a uni, but I am dissappointed I can't study medicine in the UK despite working so hard to achieve the grades I have.

I'm willing to pay roughly £10 000 a year in tuition fees.

I'm sorry for the lengthy post- I'm new to TSR.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Mylinho
Hi. I'm at college at the moment, and applied for medicine this year. Unfortunately I received my fourth rejection today, and am looking for alternatives.

I am currently studying Bio, Chem and Maths. I'm predicted A*AA, although after the January results, it's looking more likely that I'll get A*A*A.

I would like to know if there are any GMC accredited universities abroad I could apply to, for which I would not need to sit entrance exams or interviews and could still get in, this application cycle. I've tried researching but there is very limited information available, and the agencies that claim they can help also haven't given much info- and are actually quite expensive.

I know its alot to ask of a uni, but I am dissappointed I can't study medicine in the UK despite working so hard to achieve the grades I have.

Wouldn't it be best to take a gap year and reapply in the UK next year, that way you can save some money you will probably end up in a better university and you will be closer to home. If worst comes to worst, apply for a foreign uni next year. (just my opinion)
Reply 2
Original post by Danya1
Wouldn't it be best to take a gap year and reapply in the UK next year, that way you can save some money you will probably end up in a better university and you will be closer to home. If worst comes to worst, apply for a foreign uni next year. (just my opinion)

To be completely honest yes, and that was actually my first choice. But due to some family issues, it would be better overall if went abroad and qualified rather than wait a year. Despite all this, I might still end up taking a gap year, but would like the option of going abroad.
Reply 3
Original post by Mylinho

I'm not sure if you will find one that doesn't do interviews or an entrance exam. Otherwise they'll just be able to acceptance any old person into their uni.

I'm studying in Prague, Czech Republic in a university called Charles University 1st Faculty of Medicine which teaches in English and fully GMC accredited but there is also an entrance exam.
Reply 4
Original post by qasidb
I'm studying in Prague, Czech Republic in a university called Charles University 1st Faculty of Medicine which teaches in English and fully GMC accredited but there is also an entrance exam.

Hi, I guess you're right. I did consider them. Did you sit an entrance exam? How was it? And also, is the date to take the test gone? And what do you think of the course at Charles?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm a bit of a mess at the moment, trying to decide on the best option for next year.
Reply 5
Original post by Mylinho
Hi, I guess you're right. I did consider them. Did you sit an entrance exam? How was it? And also, is the date to take the test gone? And what do you think of the course at Charles?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm a bit of a mess at the moment, trying to decide on the best option for next year.

Get your **** together between now and October (get the grades, fit in some more work experience and care work/volunteering, sort out some fairly watertight plans for the following year so you have a good answer for 'what are you doing now?'), take a gap year and reapply. Tons of people get offers the second time round. You can apply abroad while doing that as a last resort.

:smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Mylinho

hi,
well im doing the same, i have already applied to study in constanta, romania...its GMC recognized and really cheap
there is an entrance exam but it is only basic english just to make sure the applicant is fit to study in english as people apply from all over the world...ive seen a past paper, a child in year 6 would pass it without a sweat, its definately nothing to worry about
tuition fees are only 4,200 euros a year
it seems quite popular as there is quite a few british students there,
most agents are charging 4k but i found one thats charging alot less and is really helpful...i went to check it out a few weeks ago and i quite like it

i really want some more students from the UK to come and study alongside me so if you want want any help or information just private message me
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Mylinho

The entrance exam wasn't that easy so that's why I recommend that you go to the 2 week revision course in Worcestershire which is what I did. There are still 2 dates available for the entrance exam. One is in June I think and the other is in August, both in Worcestershire.

Charles does not make it easy for you. It's pretty difficult but I think it's even more difficult than medicine is supposed to be. Apparently UK unis aren't as difficult than in Charles. That's why I'm thinking about transferring to another Czech uni. There's one called Oloumec (not sure how you spell it) and I have some friends there and they said that it's easier to pass and it's better. So it would maybe be good if you go to another Czech uni other than Charles, like Oloumec and Brno which is another one which I've heard isn't bad either.
Original post by Ronove
Get your **** together between now and October (get the grades, fit in some more work experience and care work/volunteering, sort out some fairly watertight plans for the following year so you have a good answer for 'what are you doing now?'), take a gap year and reapply. Tons of people get offers the second time round. You can apply abroad while doing that as a last resort. :smile:

Sound advice - I agree 100%.
Original post by Mylinho

You really ought to reapply here rather than go abroad if you have the intention of coming back here upon graduation. The reason for that being there's uncertainty where the Foundation programme here is heading in terms of EU and foreign applicants given the current shortage of places even for UK graduates.

Another point to consider is that you need to carefully consider the language requirements of where you are applying.

You may find an English-taught course but unless you are fluent in the language of the country you go to, you'll find your clinical years utterly hopeless. Don't underestimate the challenge of learning a language to the standard required, especially with all the additional medical terminology.

Just some points to consider. The quality of teaching abroad is good, you just have to think carefully about whether it's truly the best option for you at this given period of time. I know the temptation is there to rush and go abroad, but it's a big, big commitment and I truly think reapplying here would suit your needs better.
Reply 10
Original post by Mylinho

Most of the Medical schools in Eastern Europe now require entrance exams One exception I know of is Pomeranian Medical University in Poland.

http://www.pum.edu.pl/english/english-program

The tuition is 9700 euro/year. They accept applications from April to the end of July so you'll have time to think it over. It is a 6-year program and you'll have to get a basic command of the language at some point (they will teach you as a part of the course). It is not easy to live and study in another country and you'll likely be better off applying again in UK.
Reply 11
Original post by Iz08
Most of the Medical schools in Eastern Europe now require entrance exams One exception I know of is Pomeranian Medical University in Poland.

http://www.pum.edu.pl/english/english-program

The tuition is 9700 euro/year. They accept applications from April to the end of July so you'll have time to think it over. It is a 6-year program and you'll have to get a basic command of the language at some point (they will teach you as a part of the course). It is not easy to live and study in another country and you'll likely be better off applying again in UK.

I applied and got accepted to PMU. I lived in szcezin and my family is from there.

I'm completely disagreeing with you.
1) LIFE is so much cheaper in Poland than anywhere in the UK. And this is a huge factor in quality of life. If I was going to spend the same amount of money on LIFE in poland as im doing right now in the UK (at least 15k pounds/year), I would live like middle class. Students are usually poor and we will avoid expensive food,transport or entertainment. You will go to tesco and get the cheapest vodka for 10 pounds(70cl). At the same time you would spend 3pounds on the same bottle in poland. Halls in Ldn are about 100-120pounds/week in PMU about 25ish/week. You would think the quality is worse but actually you get the same standards. Studying is in small groups rather than in Big lecture theatres. If you have questions you will ask and there will be more teachers per students than in the UK.

2) Is it better applying in the UK again? Depends. All courses outside UK are 6 years long but if you were to come back you are going straight into FY2. Therefore your career length will stay the same. If you stay in the UK you add another year. What are the chances you will receive 4 rejections again.

At least apply abroad and in the UK. Maximise your chances. Become a doctor whatever it takes. You will certainly love it abroad and people would be jealous of the experience you have. I have friends who study in europe and they certainly love it. Studying Medicine is not just about going to school but also the experience you get during this time. Some might argue it makes you a better doctor because you leave your comfort zone and develop vital skills. Your knowledge/understanding of people from different cultures and the different practise of medicine in other countries is something well respected in the NHS. And why not learn the language as well when you are there.:smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by qasidb
I'm not sure if you will find one that doesn't do interviews or an entrance exam. Otherwise they'll just be able to acceptance any old person into their uni.

Hello, i'll be giving the entrance exam for charles 1st faculty in June this year. I'd just like to ask how your experience in Prague has been so far?
Reply 13
Original post by qasidb
The entrance exam wasn't that easy so that's why I recommend that you go to the 2 week revision course in Worcestershire which is what I did. There are still 2 dates available for the entrance exam. One is in June I think and the other is in August, both in Worcestershire.

Charles does not make it easy for you. It's pretty difficult but I think it's even more difficult than medicine is supposed to be. Apparently UK unis aren't as difficult than in Charles. That's why I'm thinking about transferring to another Czech uni. There's one called Oloumec (not sure how you spell it) and I have some friends there and they said that it's easier to pass and it's better. So it would maybe be good if you go to another Czech uni other than Charles, like Oloumec and Brno which is another one which I've heard isn't bad either.

Apparently Pilzen is slighter easy too? Although it's still under charles. I know someone who graduated from Oloumec & is working in Birmingham as a FY2. He said it was much easier than 1st fac
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by sara.far93
Hello, i'll be giving the entrance exam for charles 1st faculty in June this year. I'd just like to ask how your experience in Prague has been so far?

Prague is a nice place with a lot of stuff do and a lot of shops around. If you want to go out at night there are a number of night clubs around. Near the centre a lot of people can speak English within the stores so there's not much of a language barrier. Transport is really cheap, food isn't bad (although I do yearn for fish and chips or some traditional fried chicken).
Reply 15
Original post by sara.far93
Apparently Pilzen is slighter easy too? Although it's still under charles. I know someone who graduated from Oloumec & is working in Birmingham as a FY2. He said it was much easier than 1st fac

Yeah I know, that's why I wanted to transfer to Olomouc but I found out I can't because they said I have to start off in the 1st year again. That's why I'm saying, DON'T GO TO 1ST FACULTY, GO TO OLOMOUC! Like I've said, 1st Faculty is more difficult. Nobody cares what uni you graduate from, as long you have a degree in medicine that's all you need to get a job! So if you have a chance to go down the easier route and have a greater chance of getting a degree then choose the easier route (i.e. go to Olomouc!)
Remember, though, that there is no guarantee that when you graduate from these school's you'll be guaranteed entry into the FY1/2 system here. That is the current status, as long as you're recognised by the GMC, but given the lack of placements for even UK graduates I see that changing in the not so distant future.

Also see: http://careers.bmj.com/careers/advice/view-article.html?id=20010564
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by qasidb
Yeah I know, that's why I wanted to transfer to Olomouc but I found out I can't because they said I have to start off in the 1st year again. That's why I'm saying, DON'T GO TO 1ST FACULTY, GO TO OLOMOUC! Like I've said, 1st Faculty is more difficult. Nobody cares what uni you graduate from, as long you have a degree in medicine that's all you need to get a job! So if you have a chance to go down the easier route and have a greater chance of getting a degree then choose the easier route (i.e. go to Olomouc!)

What a shocking attitude to take towards medical school. Go for the easy route, potentially come out a worse doctor and hence be less competent? Surely you should strive for the best possible degree.

Also see above.
Reply 18
Original post by MattKneale
What a shocking attitude to take towards medical school. Go for the easy route, potentially come out a worse doctor and hence be less competent? Surely you should strive for the best possible degree.

Also see above.

If you think you'll make a better doctor by doing the most difficult course possible, why don't you go to Charles instead of a UK medical school?

Edit: I'm not saying Charles is the hardest, there are probably other European schools which have a particularly difficult course as well.
Original post by Ronove
If you think you'll make a better doctor by doing the most difficult course possible, why don't you go to Charles instead of a UK medical school?

Edit: I'm not saying Charles is the hardest, there are probably other European schools which have a particularly difficult course as well.

I'm saying the concept itself is corrupt, if a medical school aims to make it easier to pass than another, how will that end up in better patient care?

I would say the same of a UK medical school.

Latest

Trending

Trending