The Student Room Group

Help me brainstorm my choices. Portsmouth or Greenwich Medway for engineering?

Hi people :biggrin:
I've applied for uni this year and have had all of my replies back, with positive results. My choices are as follows:

Brunel Civil Eng (ABB)

Surrey Civil Eng (ABB)

Queen Mary Mech Eng (BBB)

Greenwich Medway Civil Eng (280)

Portsmouth Civil Eng (260)

The problem is, I think I'm on track for a BBB, as I need high marks to get an A in any one of my subjects. I was initially going to put Queen Mary as my firm, but I'm having doubts about Mechanical Engineering. Are there any current students on here that can let me know what Civil and Mech Engineerings entail? I have my heart set on being involved in structural design and engineering.

I may just put Brunel as my firm, because they're the uni I've heard a lot about. I live in South London, so the location is pretty nice for me. However, I'm just worried about getting that A grade, but should I just risk it?

As for my insurance choice, I was going to choose from Portsmouth or Greenwich. From what I've heard, Portsmouth has a lot of stuff to do around the uni and Medway is the complete opposite. Could someone clarify this for me please? I don't drink and I'm not someone who enjoys clubbing, so I just need places to chill with my friends and have a night out really.

Overall, I'd want a uni where the engineering facilities are to high standards. I should be driving soon, so travelling to and from uni would be another factor to take into account, but not a major one. I want to live out anyway.

Thanks for reading, and any positive opinions will be appreciated :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Babah254
I've applied for uni this year and have had all of my replies back, with positive results. My choices are as follows:

Brunel Civil Eng (ABB)

Surrey Civil Eng (ABB)

The problem is, I think I'm on track for a BBB, as I need high marks to get an A in any one of my subjects. I was initially going to put Queen Mary as my firm, but I'm having doubts about Mechanical Engineering. Are there any current students on here that can let me know what Civil and Mech Engineerings entail? I have my heart set on being involved in structural design and engineering.

I may just put Brunel as my firm, because they're the uni I've heard a lot about. I live in South London, so the location is pretty nice for me. However, I'm just worried about getting that A grade, but should I just risk it?

As for my insurance choice, I was going to choose from Portsmouth or Greenwich. From what I've heard, Portsmouth has a lot of stuff to do around the uni and Medway is the complete opposite. Could someone clarify this for me please? I don't drink and I'm not someone who enjoys clubbing, so I just need places to chill with my friends and have a night out really.

Overall, I'd want a uni where the engineering facilities are to high standards. I should be driving soon, so travelling to and from uni would be another factor to take into account, but not a major one. I want to live out anyway.

Do you prefer a university that started as a university or one that is used to be a polytechnic? Surrey, Greenwich and Portsmouth are all ex polytechnics.

Have a look at wikipedia it explains what the universities started as.
Reply 2

Brunel Civil Eng (ABB)

Surrey Civil Eng (ABB)

Civil is buildings, roads, bridges, tunnels and canals etc. Mechanical is almost everything that is engineered that doesn't include what i've just said. So they're very opposite degrees in that respect. If you have your "heart set on structural design" then i'd suggest you don't go to queen mary.

Also I think it would be a shame if you gave up on going to a better university because you weren't 100% confident you could get that A. You can do it mate. Just put in that extra bit of work - maybe just 30mins extra a day - and you'll reap the rewards when you get in to a uni doing something you want to do. I.e put the likes of Surrey (which is a great uni btw - forget all that polytechnic stuff (above)) as your number one and then choose a place with grade requirements you're 100% sure you can achieve as your no.2.

Ultimately though, check out each uni, visit their departments etc, and make your decision accordingly. Hope this helps. You are probably one of perhaps hundreds of thousands making that same choice!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by kingm
Civil is buildings, roads, bridges, tunnels and canals etc. Mechanical is almost everything that is engineered that doesn't include what i've just said. So they're very opposite degrees in that respect. If you have your "heart set on structural design" then i'd suggest you don't go to queen mary.

Also I think it would be a shame if you gave up on going to a better university because you weren't 100% confident you could get that A. You can do it mate.

Thanks, that helps :smile: - You're saying what all of my family and friends are saying when it comes to getting that A grade. I think I will put Brunel or Surrey as a firm then. I just need to decide what to put as my insurance.
Reply 4
Original post by kingm

Also I think it would be a shame if you gave up on going to a better university because you weren't 100% confident you could get that A. You can do it mate. Just put in that extra bit of work - maybe just 30mins extra a day - and you'll reap the rewards when you get in to a uni doing something you want to do. I.e put the likes of Surrey (which is a great uni btw - forget all that polytechnic stuff (above)) as your number one and then choose a place with grade requirements you're 100% sure you can achieve as your no.2.

Ultimately though, check out each uni, visit their departments etc, and make your decision accordingly. Hope this helps. You are probably one of perhaps hundreds of thousands making that same choice!

You have to remember that employers remember all that polytechnic stuff because it isn't all that long ago that some universities were polytechnics, and polytechnics were not considered to offer as high standard degrees as universities. Not only that but some polytechnics were considered to be better than others so if you pick an ex polytechnic that was a low standard one, it could be the case that when you apply for a job you might be less likely to get onto a shortlist if there are a lot of applicants who have picked universities that are not renamed polytechnics.
Reply 5
I guess I should've looked into the non-polytechnic unis before I chose my courses. However, I need to make a decision from the options I have at the moment, so I'm just trying to weigh in other people's opinions on the areas and unis so I can make a good decision.
Reply 6
Can anyone tell me what the engineering facilities are like at each uni. Preferably the ones at Greenwich and Portsmouth, please.
Reply 7
Original post by draghm
You have to remember that employers remember all that polytechnic stuff because it isn't all that long ago that some universities were polytechnics, and polytechnics were not considered to offer as high standard degrees as universities. Not only that but some polytechnics were considered to be better than others so if you pick an ex polytechnic that was a low standard one, it could be the case that when you apply for a job you might be less likely to get onto a shortlist if there are a lot of applicants who have picked universities that are not renamed polytechnics.

This is false. Employers DO NOT short list candidates by looking at what universities they went to. It's completely irrelevant they are so many deciding factors (ie. assessment centres, psychometric tests, interviews)
Reply 8
Can anyone tell me what the engineering facilities are like at each uni. Preferably the ones at Greenwich and Portsmouth, please.

Have you gone to open days? Go to the place you liked best.
Reply 9
Original post by a10
This is false. Employers DO NOT short list candidates by looking at what universities they went to. It's completely irrelevant they are so many deciding factors (ie. assessment centres, psychometric tests, interviews)

So what you are saying is that someone who has a first class honours degree from Wolverhampton University is going to be viewed the same way as someone who has a first class honours degree from Cambridge?

Where do you get your evidence from that people are not considered by employers to be more able if they studied at a top university?

A shortlist for a job is what an employer does before the interview so that they don't have to interview everyone who applies. There are lots of people on this forum who have applied for jobs and not been given psychometric tests gone to assessment centres or been given interviews. Some have not even had their application replied to. So how was the shortlist done for the people who did get interviews for those jobs?

I always understood that you have better opportunities if you go to a 1st rate university. Lots of people on this forum are also under that impression.

None of the ex polytechnics are viewed as top universities. I went to a polytechnic for my first time of studying and the courses that they used to offer were excellent, but they were not the same as the courses that the universities offered. Since the polytechnics have been renamed universities there has been a reduction in the choice of type of course. The polytechnic courses tended to offer more training than the university courses but were not considered to be as academic.
Reply 10
Original post by draghm
So what you are saying is that someone who has a first class honours degree from Wolverhampton University is going to be viewed the same way as someone who has a first class honours degree from Cambridge?

Where do you get your evidence from that people are not considered by employers to be more able if they studied at a top university?

A shortlist for a job is what an employer does before the interview so that they don't have to interview everyone who applies. There are lots of people on this forum who have applied for jobs and not been given psychometric tests gone to assessment centres or been given interviews. Some have not even had their application replied to. So how was the shortlist done for the people who did get interviews for those jobs?

I always understood that you have better opportunities if you go to a 1st rate university. Lots of people on this forum are also under that impression.

None of the ex polytechnics are viewed as top universities. I went to a polytechnic for my first time of studying and the courses that they used to offer were excellent, but they were not the same as the courses that the universities offered. Since the polytechnics have been renamed universities there has been a reduction in the choice of type of course. The polytechnic courses tended to offer more training than the university courses but were not considered to be as academic.

Completely unlikely scenario that you have mentioned. It is very unlikely ONLY two candidates will be applying for one position. I'm speaking for engineering here and the first step is always the application form (if you satisfy the basic requirements for this then you are on to the psychometric tests those will test your engineering way of thinking and if you succeed in that they shortlist applicants for interviews. At the interview you will be asked a lot of questions about yourself and your CV once you succeed that stage you get invited to an assessment center where you will give a presentation for 20min or so and have another interview as well as an exercise to see how you work with others.

This process is true for 98% of the big engineering firms/companies. The other 2 % take candidates from specific university listings that they have. So it is very likely that even tho you have a candidate from Wolverhampton and Cambridge if one of them isn't good enough at some of those stages they will simply not make it but the university you went to isn't a deciding factor.

a10,
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by a10
Completely unlikely scenario that you have mentioned. It is very unlikely ONLY two candidates will be applying for one position. I'm speaking for engineering here and the first step is always the application form (if you satisfy the basic requirements for this then you are on to the psychometric tests those will test your engineering way of thinking and if you succeed in that they shortlist applicants for interviews. At the interview you will be asked a lot of questions about yourself and your CV once you succeed that stage you get invited to an assessment center where you will give a presentation for 20min or so and have another interview as well as an exercise to see how you work with others.

This process is true for 98% of the big engineering firms/companies. The other 2 % take candidates from specific university listings that they have. So it is very likely that even tho you have a candidate from Wolverhampton and Cambridge if one of them isn't good enough at some of those stages they will simply not make it but the university you went to isn't a deciding factor.

a10,

Not sure what your background is a10, but you seem to have done plenty of research on uni's and careers. But the fact of the matter is, people who have studied at universities with good academic reputation and ones with high entry tariffs, DO stand a better chance of getting a job.

As a 25 year old who has been to university once before and has gone for several graduate positions competing against those who have gone to the likes of oxbridge, Imperial etc, I can tell you unequivocally that those who studied at said universities have an advantage. As previous people have said, due to the rigorous application processes of these uni's, coupled with the work load required to get a 1st at these places, they are looked at more favourably.

That's not to say that you're not right to an extent - that PLENTY of jobs are awarded on individual merit, via psychometric testing, group interviews, previous job experience, interviewee confidence etc. Lets use an example: keeping with the Wolverhampton Uni example here, if someone was applying to an F1 team, and they had studied at this uni, they were incredibly sociable, personable, confident, had an exemplary work ethic, had done plenty of extra-curricular activities, had perhaps helped their dad build a car or whatever - say if they were up against someone who studied at cambridge, but who didn't have all of those extra qualities, they had just gone from school straight to uni and this was their first interview - you can bet your life that mr Wolverhampton was getting that job.

The fact of the matter is, those who have studied at your elite universities have an advantage. It doesn't mean to say that those who have studied at lesser universities still can't work extra hard to be given the same opportunities.

Ahh... rant over. Back to FP3 :-)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by kingm

Ahh... rant over. Back to FP3 :-)

yeah i know that going to a top tier uni will probably improve your chances! But what i was trying to say was it doesn't mean if you didn't go to one your "bad". :lol: good old further pure how is FP3?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by a10
yeah i know that going to a top tier uni will probably improve your chances! But what i was trying to say was it doesn't mean if you didn't go to one your "bad". :lol: good old further pure how is FP3?

Absolutely agree. And FP3 is a right f***er. Slightly easier than FP2 in my opinion - though i'm resitting that anyway :s-smilie:. Do you take further maths as well??
Reply 14
Original post by kingm
Absolutely agree. And FP3 is a right f***er. Slightly easier than FP2 in my opinion - though i'm resitting that anyway :s-smilie:. Do you take further maths as well??

Further maths AS. I only do Fp1 D2 and S1 so further modules already did mechanics (M1). I heard Fp2 is nasty. Random question but if your 25 how come your doing A-levels again? Or did you not do them before?
Reply 15
Original post by a10
Further maths AS. I only do Fp1 D2 and S1 so further modules already did mechanics (M1). I heard Fp2 is nasty. Random question but if your 25 how come your doing A-levels again? Or did you not do them before?

Yeah i have D2 to do as well. I haven't even looked at it yet haha. Any pointers?

Yeah I have a-levels already but because I wanted to get in to a good engineering uni I thought i'd add A2 further maths (did the As 7 years ago). But I also had to do physics from scratch as well, seeing as i didn't do it before. I'm self-teaching along side a full-time job so its pretty heavy going at the moment! I just keep telling myself that it will all be over in 3 months :-)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by kingm
Yeah i have D2 to do as well. I haven't even looked at it yet haha. Any pointers?

Yeah I have a-levels already but because I wanted to get in to a good engineering uni I thought i'd add A2 further maths (did the As 7 years ago). But I also had to do physics from scratch as well, seeing as i didn't do it before. But i'm self-teaching along side a full-time job so its pretty heavy going at the moment! I just keep telling myself that it will all be over in 3 months :-)

its ****. Im resitting it. What i hate about A-levels tho is studying useless crap that im never going to see EVER again i just want to start learning to be an engineer already hahaha xD Yeah we have to give it one last push :wink:
Reply 17
Anyone? LOL
Reply 18
bumpedy bump bump
Reply 19
bumpedy bump bump

Not sure what other advice people could give you really mate. Unless there are students of those uni's on here then you're gonna have to get yourself down there. After all, you'll be living at one of these places for a long time so you may as well check them out properly rather than rely on others. Most uni's have an open door policy where you can go in and look around the faculty buildings, sit in a lecture etc. You can always ring or email them too, and they can arrange for a postgrad to show you around.

Quick Reply

Latest