The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Magda1502
What sort of "Africans"? There are hundreds of different ethnic identities throughout the African continent and within the individual countries. Please don't tell me you're some kind of latter-day Cecil Rhodes who thinks all "Africans" are "black"...

Anyway, you're very obviously trying to corral me into agreeing that "it's ok for non-white people to have a national identity but when white people do it in the BNP it's 'racist'". I shouldn't have to expressly disagree with that childish logic, but since you raise it:

It would be racist if African countries based their immigration policy on race; it wouldn't if they did it the basis of civic nationalism. It's pretty straightforward really. South Africa's policy on rights for one race, no rights for others was racist policy, for example.

Most Africans are black though, why are all African-Americans black if Africa isn't a predominantly black continent? I'm aware of countries like Egypt if it helps.

I don't agree with your suggestion that intention is more important than the action itself. If Africans are at liberty to defend the borders as you suggest then that is their right so your accusations of racism are meaningless. If two countries adopt the exact same strict immigration policy but one does so to protect an indigenous culture while the other just wants to keep out foreigners how can we objectively say that one is more racist than the other? Their policies are identical!

Once again the left have bemused me with their logic.
Original post by chefdave
Most Africans are black though, why are all African-Americans black if Africa isn't a predominantly black continent? I'm aware of countries like Egypt if it helps.

I don't agree with your suggestion that intention is more important than the action itself. If Africans are at liberty to defend the borders as you suggest then that is their right so your accusations of racism are meaningless. If two countries adopt the exact same strict immigration policy but one does so to protect an indigenous culture while the other just wants to keep out foreigners how can we objectively say that one is more racist than the other? Their policies are identical!

"African-Americans" is a label given to people whose heritage is derived from Africa centuries ago. At that time, white people living in Africa might identify as European.

Nowadays you are much more likely to find Africans of white European descent describing themselves as 'African'.

Also I don't se how it's bemusing to think that all should be allowed to something regardless of something as ridiculous as 'race'.

'Race' as a social term is a human construction designed primarily to recognise 'differences' and provide grounds for discrimination. Often the people who get most wound up about race are those with the least complex view of the world and the issues within it.

I've been out to town today and there were people there with placards complaining about immigration and the death of the white race. I spoke to them- one of them beckoned me over and asked me where I was 'from'. I got chatting to them and eventually left on good terms.

Most of them were bloody thick though and I don't think they would ever be able to appreciate the complexity of the situation their area is faced with.

All they could see was that there are more of 'them' than 'us' and that their pubs were closing.

It's sad in a way. So many people are going through hard times at the moment, but those who are most ignored are the ones who are least able to come up with solutions themselves.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Firstly don't compare the rest of the country with London , London is Multi-cultural,
but there's quite a lot of the country that isn't . How about calling the Africans and Asians a bunch of mongrels and see the retorts you get, I owe nobody an explanation for my heritage, and if indeed it all started from Afrca they haven't got a lot to show for the length of time they've been around, no wonder they've got a chip on their shoulder as big as a planet about white people being supremist.!
Original post by Elsagatehouse
Firstly don't compare the rest of the country with London , London is Multi-cultural,
but there's quite a lot of the country that isn't . How about calling the Africans and Asians a bunch of mongrels and see the retorts you get, I owe nobody an explanation for my heritage, and if indeed it all started from Afrca they haven't got a lot to show for the length of time they've been around, no wonder they've got a chip on their shoulder as big as a planet about white people being supremist.!

Sadly the weight of history is supporting their general assumption.

Also if you tell African and Asian people they are mongrels they are likely to acknowledge it. Mixed race people are often deemed the most attractive in East Asia, for example.

I'm mixed race. If that makes me a mongrel then that's what I am. Who gives a ****?

People who's identity is mobilised around their 'race' are a bit daft in my view. And I think this with all 'races'.

Culture, I understand. Race, I don't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 64
Original post by chefdave

You shouldn't talk about logic: "African-Americans are black, therefore Africans must be black". Brilliant.

You're very confused. It's not the same policy to limit immigration based on civic nationalist values as limiting it based on race. An immigration policy based on race discriminates by definition based on race. Hence it's racist.

And I hope you're not including me in "the left". I am not "the left" or "left".
Reply 65
well, i am mixed but britain is not a race of mongrels. in terms of ethnicity britain has hardly changed in the past 14,000 years up until recently.

most british people can trace their ancestry back to the first settlers from the ice age, 14,000 years ago.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/07/0719_050719_britishgene.html

this idea that britain is a mongrel nation is what some use as an excuse to support their mass immigration agenda.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 66
Original post by Cornelius
I distinguish between ethnicity and nationality. I think nationality is a purely legal thing. For example, if your nationality is Russian that means that you have a Russian passport, that other legal entities of the same kind (other nation states) recognise your passport and the legitimacy of the issuing authority and so on.

Ethnicity however is something cultural or genetic (whether it is the one rather than the other is controversial and in any case irrelevant to my distinction). If the nation state of Russia collapsed tomorrow, there would be no Russian nationals but there would still be ethnic Russians. Same with the Irish and the Swedes.

Certain identities like Russian or Irish or Swedish can denote ethnicity or nationality or both. British, American, Australian, Canadian are not ethnic identities but they are national identities.

You may be ethnically English (or mixed) and your nationality may be American. You may be ethnically Jewish and your nationality British.

I understand the principle behind this and the difference between ethnicity and nationality. But how can you be ethnically Russian but not ethnically British?
Reply 67
Original post by rolos12345
well, i am mixed but britain is not a race of mongrels. in terms of ethnicity britain has hardly changed in the past 14,000 years up until recently.

most british people can trace their ancestry back to the first settlers from the ice age, 14,000 years ago.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/07/0719_050719_britishgene.html

Britain has been subject to waves of immigration and settlement for thousands of years which have significantly affected our heredity. Normans, Romans (who came from all over Europe and North Africa, not just Rome), Vikings, Anglo-Saxons... and those are just the documented ones. There were many more in prehistory.

Whilst our roots are in the migrating Continental hunter-gatherers of the Mesolithic, many more incoming groups have contributed to the British gene pool since then.

It always makes me laugh when people claim to be "white Anglo-Saxon" and think this means that they're "pure" in some way. Anglo-Saxons were immigrants from Denmark and the Low Countries.
Reply 68
Original post by Klix88
Britain has been subject to waves of immigration and settlement for thousands of years which have significantly affected our heredity. Normans, Romans (who came from all over Europe and North Africa, not just Rome), Vikings, Anglo-Saxons... and those are just the documented ones. There were many more in prehistory.

Whilst our roots are in the migrating Continental hunter-gatherers of the Mesolithic, many more incoming groups have contributed to the British gene pool since then.

It always makes me laugh when people claim to be "white Anglo-Saxon" and think this means that they're "pure" in some way. Anglo-Saxons were immigrants from Denmark and the Low Countries.

normans, Romans and Vikings were invaders, not immigants. Even then, their genetic footprint was minimal. As for immigration, it hardly happened until after ww2.
Reply 69
Original post by Magda1502
You shouldn't talk about logic: "African-Americans are black, therefore Africans must be black". Brilliant.

You're very confused. It's not the same policy to limit immigration based on civic nationalist values as limiting it based on race. An immigration policy based on race discriminates by definition based on race. Hence it's racist.

And I hope you're not including me in "the left". I am not "the left" or "left".

Right, so now you find the term 'African' offensive because of the racial overtones, i.e it suggests the person in question is black. Why are you picking a fight with me over this? African is a general catch-all term, it's not meant to describe in any detail the genetic diversity of the African contintent.

I'm not confused at all, you said that two different countries can purse the exact same policy (i.e keep out all British people) and while one policy could be considered racist the other wasn't because the intentions differed. This confirms my worst fears about anti-racism. It's not so much an ideology about freedom and empowerment anymore -if it was you'd be able to define a racist action clearly and then rally against it - proponents want to use it as a way to smear anyone who holds values that differ to their own. In other words it's descended into the politics of the witch-hunt - typical lefty fare.
Reply 70
Original post by Howard
I understand the principle behind this and the difference between ethnicity and nationality. But how can you be ethnically Russian but not ethnically British?

I think he's saying that "British" isn't an ethnicity itself, but a collection of ethnicities (English, Scottish, Welsh).

Personally I think ethnicities can be hierarchical. British is an ethnicity and English is an ethnicity within the British one.
Reply 71
Original post by Psyk
I think he's saying that "British" isn't an ethnicity itself, but a collection of ethnicities (English, Scottish, Welsh).

Personally I think ethnicities can be hierarchical. British is an ethnicity and English is an ethnicity within the British one.

If being British isn't an ethnicity but instead a collection of ethnicities (you mention three of them) then how on earth can being Russian be an ethnicity? Russia is a humungous country with hundreds and hundreds of ethnicities.
Reply 72
Original post by Howard
If being British isn't an ethnicity but instead a collection of ethnicities (you mention three of them) then how on earth can being Russian be an ethnicity? Russia is a humungous country with hundreds and hundreds of ethnicities.

Well I wasn't agreeing with Cornelius. I disagree with him pretty much exactly for that reason.

Although I suppose with Russia, maybe most people wouldn't say a Chechen is an ethnic Russian, or that it's an ethnicity within the Russian ethnicity. Even though Chechens are native to a part of Russia.

India would be a good example though. If British doesn't count as an ethnicity, then Indian most certainly doesn't. In terms of diversity and population size, India is probably as diverse as Europe as a whole.
Original post by Cornelius
Yes. What's wrong with Europeans migrating to Africa?

Why on earth would Europeans migrate to Africa? There is only strife, lack of Infrastructure, no jobs , no welfare lots of corruption the list is endless, unless you want to go on safari and you have loads of money it's not an option! Are you serious or was that a joke?
Reply 74
Original post by fishesnchips
I am Chinese and British as well. It does not matter to be honest.

That a interesting mix you must have that exotic look :smile:
[QUOTE="LexiswasmyNexis;41922656"]Sadly the weight of history is supporting their general assumption.

Also if you tell African and Asian people they are mongrels they are likely to acknowledge it. Mixed race people are often deemed the most attractive in East Asia, for example.

I'm mixed race. If that makes me a mongrel then that's what I am. Who gives a ****?

People who's identity is mobilised around their 'race' are a bit daft in my view. And I think this with all 'races'.

Posted from TSR Mobile[/QUOTE
interestiing, what if mixed race people in south east Asia were deemed " unattractive" or lacking in some way would you be so keen to adopt the
" mongrel " label ?
Reply 76
Why on earth would Europeans migrate to Africa? There is only strife, lack of Infrastructure, no jobs , no welfare lots of corruption the list is endless, unless you want to go on safari and you have loads of money it's not an option! Are you serious or was that a joke?

Come off it. Who wouldn't want to emigrate to Nigeria given half a chance?
[QUOTE="Elsagatehouse;41934042"]
Original post by LexiswasmyNexis
Sadly the weight of history is supporting their general assumption.

Posted from TSR Mobile[/QUOTE
interestiing, what if mixed race people in south east Asia were deemed " unattractive" or lacking in some way would you be so keen to adopt the
" mongrel " label ?

I didn't say I was keen to adopt it; I said I accept it. It wouldn't make a difference to me. I don't really care how people label me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE="LexiswasmyNexis;41934591"]

I didn't say I was keen to adopt it; I said I accept it. It wouldn't make a difference to me. I don't really care how people label me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I think that's commendable, and as it should be. Good reply
Reply 79

This is a hypothetical scenario. As in, why would it be wrong for Europeans to migrate to Africa?

Latest

Trending

Trending