The Student Room Group

What is Biology A-level like?

Saw the chemistry one and was interested in people's thoughts about Bio, and how well Chemistry would contemplate it. I have chosen biology, chemistry, maths, english lit :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Chemistry complements biology well. I recall my AS biology year, when I wasn't taking chemistry, and was confused by other students referring to concentration and ions and viscosity and all sorts. In my A2 year I took AS & A2 chemistry in one alongside A2 biology and things fell into place!

Certainly if your aim is science at university, biology and chemistry go together beautifully.
Reply 2
Biology at A-level is often regarded as one of the hardest A-levels you can choose, so be prepared to put in a lot of work and effort, but there's certainly no reason why you can't do well in it. It does look like you have a very good choice of A-levels, what is your most interesting subject and what do you plan on studying at University? Biology goes very well with chemistry A-level, the two go hand in hand.
They are the same subjects I did! :smile:

If you take chemistry the little bio-chemistry in biology will be extremely easy for you :biggrin:

Out of those, I found it my my easiest subject. The content is pretty easy to understand, but there's a lot of it. It's not a good subject to do if you don't have a good memory. The most difficult part of biology for me was the ISA's and some of the graph questions, but it's a matter of practice. Also the mark schemes can very picky. You have to be very precise in your answers,

I did AQA and loved it. Some parts were extremely boring, but mostly I really enjoyed the content. The best bits were respiration, the nervous system and how muscles work :biggrin: The ecology bits on the other hand were so dull I'd quite gladly have welcomed death during those lessons haha :biggrin:
Chemistry and Biology go hand in hand really. One of the biology teachers at a local college said that it is very easy to tell who does chemistry, and who does not in a biology class.

As for what biology A-level is like, lots of people say it is really hard but it generally is not. As long as you work hard and regularly it is fine. The main problem is the volume of stuff to remember - there is a lot to recall. The difficulty of the stuff varies (obviously) for different people. For example some in my class really struggle with the biochemistry but other stuff just clicks immediately.

For AQA you have (in A2) three units, two papers and an ISA (boo hiss). The two papers cover a lot of content, be it human or biochemistry or plants etc.

Overall it is a good A-level, very respected, very interesting but it does come with a workload.
Reply 5
Original post by lolface32
Saw the chemistry one and was interested in people's thoughts about Bio, and how well Chemistry would contemplate it. I have chosen biology, chemistry, maths, english lit :biggrin:

Nothing like GCSE, its hard, and you have to put alot of work in, but its also pretty rewarding.

TWITTER: @JoeBaldwin_95
Reply 6
I take the exact same subjects as you've chosen.

I found Biology a bit of a jump up in terms of the amount you have to know, and how specific the mark schemes are. As long as you're willing to work hard at it, and are interested in it, then there's no reason you can't do well. Doing Chemistry alongside is also pretty helpful. I personally enjoy both, anyway!

Good luck :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Eloades11
Biology at A-level is often regarded as one of the hardest A-levels you can choose, so be prepared to put in a lot of work and effort, but there's certainly no reason why you can't do well in it. It does look like you have a very good choice of A-levels, what is your most interesting subject and what do you plan on studying at University? Biology goes very well with chemistry A-level, the two go hand in hand.

My most interesting is bio and I want to do it at uni :biggrin: Good to know!
Reply 8
My most interesting is bio and I want to do it at uni :biggrin: Good to know!

You DEFINITELY want Chemistry then. I hated GCSE chem (weird teacher) and only realised I wanted to take biology at uni after my AS year. Had to beg the head of chem to let me take AS & A2 chem in one year to get into a decent university.

You can get on a Bio BSc with just AS chem but it does restrict your choices.
AS biology - nice
A2 biology - horrid
Reply 10
Original post by Qaisha
You DEFINITELY want Chemistry then. I hated GCSE chem (weird teacher) and only realised I wanted to take biology at uni after my AS year. Had to beg the head of chem to let me take AS & A2 chem in one year to get into a decent university.

You can get on a Bio BSc with just AS chem but it does restrict your choices.

Thanks a lot! You sure you do not just want to take AS chem, AS & A2 seems crazy!
Reply 11
Thanks a lot! You sure you do not just want to take AS chem, AS & A2 seems crazy!

I think it actually put me in a better position than people who did it the "usual" way - and it got me my A in chem A2!

The head of chem did think I was crazy at the time. But at least he humoured me. :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Qaisha
I think it actually put me in a better position than people who did it the "usual" way - and it got me my A in chem A2!

The head of chem did think I was crazy at the time. But at least he humoured me. :smile:

Oh so you already done it! CONGRATS!

Do you go Uni now, if so which one and what degree?
Reply 13
Oh so you already done it! CONGRATS!

Do you go Uni now, if so which one and what degree?

Went to UCL to read Biology. Now have been out for a few years, done a PGCE, and am teaching secondary bio & chem.

I get to play with chemicals and fun stuff all the time, (hopefully) inspire young people to go further with science (the best subject :wink:), and of course to help others to avoid the mistakes I made in the past.

Never thought I'd love it but I do.
Original post by Qaisha
Went to UCL to read Biology. Now have been out for a few years, done a PGCE, and am teaching secondary bio & chem.

I get to play with chemicals and fun stuff all the time, (hopefully) inspire young people to go further with science (the best subject :wink:), and of course to help others to avoid the mistakes I made in the past.

Never thought I'd love it but I do.

It is an good thing you are teaching the future generation the importance of science. This country needs more people like you :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by Eloades11

is a B in Biology a good grade?
Reply 16
Its a truly horrible subject
It was my personal favourite. It has a lot of memorisation but if you're doing a topic you enjoy I find it so much easier. The only big downside is its a broad course so if you are only interested in human biology you still have to do ecology, plants ect but they can still be really interesting and make you a far better biologist overall.
Original post by madfish
Its a truly horrible subject

Boo!

Why?
Reply 19
For me, really interesting in both years! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending