The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Boom boom boom!! Know all the colours off by heart now :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 82
Hey guys, could someone help me out with Reaction with the base, carbonate ions. Nelson thornes page 237, i don't understand the equations the book have, could someone explain the reactions to me please? Strange thing is when i read about these reactions from http://www.chemguide.co.uk/inorganic/complexions/aquaco3.html i understand it...
Reply 83
Original post by SDavis123
Boom boom boom!! Know all the colours off by heart now :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

What method did you use to memorise them? :smile:
Original post by erniiee

I just wrote the different complexes that the different metals form because a few of them have the same ones repeated then just write them out several times.

Now I just gotta memories what you've gotta add to get that complex

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by erniiee

I just wrote the different complexes that the different metals form because a few of them have the same ones repeated then just write them out several times.

Then my plan for the actual exam is to rape the data sheet as soon as we start and just write them all out :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 86
Original post by SDavis123

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah okay thanks
forgot I started this thread lol! 5 ages later!
Reply 88
Easter holiday starts for me on wednesday. Soon time to start raping the chemistry specification...Oh the joy :rolleyes:
Just some questions. I would be really grateful if someone could have a go at explaining these to me! thanks in advance for all the help offered!

1) What is the difference when excess OH- or excess NH3 is used?
Reply 90
Original post by laurawoods
Just some questions. I would be really grateful if someone could have a go at explaining these to me! thanks in advance for all the help offered!

1) What is the difference when excess OH- or excess NH3 is used?

When excess OH- is used only Al and Cr react. Al reacts with 1 more OH to form [Al(OH)4]- and Cr reacts with 3 more to form [Cr(OH)6]3-. Because both of these are charged, they dissolve so form a colourless solution (Al) and a dark green solution (Cr).

With excess ammonia I remember all the metals beginning with 'C' react in excess. So Cobalt reacts with 6 more NH3 to form [Co(NH3)6]2+ which is a straw-coloured solution. Copper reacts with 4 NH3 to form [Cu(NH3)4(H2O)2]2+ which is deep blue. And Chromium reacts with 6 NH3 to form [Cr(NH3)6]3+ which is supposed to be purple.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 91
Anyone know how to memorise the colours? Wahhhhh
Original post by TLi1295
When excess OH- is used only Al and Cr react. Al reacts with 1 more OH to form [Al(OH)4]- and Cr reacts with 3 more to form [Cr(OH)6]3-. Because both of these are charged, they dissolve so form a colourless solution (Al) and a dark green solution (Cr).

With excess ammonia I remember all the metals beginning with 'C' react in excess. So Cobalt reacts with 6 more NH3 to form [Co(NH3)6]2+ which is a straw-coloured solution. Copper reacts with 4 NH3 to form [Cu(NH3)4(H2O)2]2+ which is deep blue. And Chromium reacts with 6 NH3 to form [Cr(NH3)6]3+ which is supposed to be purple.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello thanks, this answer was very useful ! i finally understand it.

pls can u produce, if u dont mind, a list of all the equations that we need to know for the 'transition metals' chapter and also the very last chapter ? pls...we would all be very grateful if u could do that for all of us since u seem to be understanding this topic very well!:smile: pls
Original post by TLi1295

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello , I dont really seem to be understanding this concept of Al and Cr being amphoteric? I do know the definiton of what amphoteric is but I dont really know what is happening in terms of the chemistry? help!! How come the Al and Cr can act as both acids and bases? pls can you explain a) a reaction where they are acting as acids and then b) a reaction when they show basic properties ?

pls pls pls:smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:
Reply 94
Hi, has anyone got any tips for the aqa chem copper ISA would really appreciate it thanks. :smile:

Hello there,
When the metal aqua ions react to form a ppt , which one of the following is the equation for the reaction:

1) the one where the metal aqua ion reacts with H2O and then on the RHS there is H3O+ (along with the ppt)

or

2) the one where the metal aqua ion reacts with OH- ions and on the RHS you have got H2O as one of the products along with the ppt.

I looked in two different books and they give these two diff versions! which is right?
Reply 96
Hello there,
When the metal aqua ions react to form a ppt , which one of the following is the equation for the reaction:

1) the one where the metal aqua ion reacts with H2O and then on the RHS there is H3O+ (along with the ppt)

or

2) the one where the metal aqua ion reacts with OH- ions and on the RHS you have got H2O as one of the products along with the ppt.

I looked in two different books and they give these two diff versions! which is right?

Probably being stupid but I don't really get what you're asking, sorry :confused:

If you're asking when it's a precipitate its when the product has not charge, eg [M(H2O)3(OH)3] is a precipitate.
Original post by Beth_L_G
Probably being stupid but I don't really get what you're asking, sorry :confused:

If you're asking when it's a precipitate its when the product has not charge, eg [M(H2O)3(OH)3] is a precipitate.

Hello there, thanks
Have you started doing the past papers yet. I had a look at Xtreme papers to get hold of the past syllabus questions but the questions in the papers seem a bit odd. How are u revising Chemistry at the moment?
Reply 98
Hello there,

or

If you think about it, the reagent being added is sodium hydroxide. Sodium hydroxide dissociates into Na+ and OH- ions..so you're effectively adding OH- ions. The reaction is of hydroxide ions with the metal aqua ion, so the equation to write is that containing the hydroxide ion.

Remember for M2+ ions:

[M(H2O)6]2+(aq) + 2OH-(aq) -> [M(H2O)4(OH)2](s) + 2H2O(l)

Each hydroxide ion acts as a base removing a proton from one water ligand, leaving a negatively charged OH- ligand.

If two of these OH- ligands are formed, they result is an overall neutral charge on the complex. Because there is no charge, there is no reason for it to stay in solution (I've read that it is now considered "covalent", don't know if that's correct though), so it falls out of the solution as a solid precipitate.
Original post by erniiee
If you think about it, the reagent being added is sodium hydroxide. Sodium hydroxide dissociates into Na+ and OH- ions..so you're effectively adding OH- ions. The reaction is of hydroxide ions with the metal aqua ion, so the equation to write is that containing the hydroxide ion.

Remember for M2+ ions:

[M(H2O)6]2+(aq) + 2OH-(aq) -> [M(H2O)4(OH)2](s) + 2H2O(l)

Each hydroxide ion acts as a base removing a proton from one water ligand, leaving a negatively charged OH- ligand.

If two of these OH- ligands are formed, they result is an overall neutral charge on the complex. Because there is no charge, there is no reason for it to stay in solution (I've read that it is now considered "covalent", don't know if that's correct though), so it falls out of the solution as a solid precipitate.

thank you! I don't know why it is that the CGP revision guide has given equations with H20 and H3O+. But things are much more clear now!

Just some more doubts :

I am confused about this concept of ammonia being able to act as a base as well as a ligand.

In the revision guide, there are two different equations, one for the formation of a ppt and one when the NH3 is being used in excess (a ligand substitution reaction is occurring). But i don't really understand which one out of these two is the equation which is appropriate to show ammonia acting as a Lewis base and why?

It is specified, in the CGP guide, that the base is Bronsted Lowry base and that when it is acting as a ligand , it is a lewis base. Aren't there any similarities between these bases because I thought all Lewis bases are Brosted Lowry bases too!

Latest

Trending

Trending