The Student Room Group

C1 Maths!

Guys can someone help with the following question..
From a point A, a boat sails due north for 7km to B. The boat leave point B and moves at a bearing of 100 degrees for 10km until it reaches C. Calculate the distance of C from A.

I keep getting the wrong answer. This is my working out:

SinC/7 = Sin100/10
C= 43.6

Therefore angle B is 180-(100+43.6)
= 36.4

AC/sin36.4 = 10/sin100

AC = 10sin36.4 / sin100
= 6.026 cm

However 6.026 isn't the answer. The answer is 11.2.

Where have I gone wrong??

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Taraah

SinC/7 = Sin100/10
C= 43.6

This first statement is not true.

Draw a diagram.. You cannot do this question using the sine rule - you have no pairing angle and lengths.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
The book tells me to use the cosine rule, but I still get the answer wrong. I've written the question exactly the way its written in the book. I drew a diagram but now I'm really confused

Original post by Taraah
The book tells me to use the cosine rule, but I still get the answer wrong. I've written the question exactly the way its written in the book. I drew a diagram but now I'm really confused

You should be able to work out the angle ABC by noting that angles on a straight line add up to give 180 degrees.

Then use the fact that

c2=a2+b22abcosCc^2 = a^2 + b^2 - 2ab\cos C
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Taraah

If you've drawn the sketch correctly you should have a value for a, b and an angle which (if the ship goes on a bearing of 100 from and the angle of a straight line is 180 what would be the angle inside the triangle?) http://gyazo.com/336ae70eb7cd08fc049fc564ef9c676b
Reply 5
note that bearings are measure from north, clockwise
Reply 6
Original post by Secret.
If you've drawn the sketch correctly you should have a value for a, b and an angle which (if the ship goes on a bearing of 100 from and the angle of a straight line is 180 what would be the angle inside the triangle?) http://gyazo.com/336ae70eb7cd08fc049fc564ef9c676b

Hey thank you!! I drew the diagram incorrectly, thanks for helping:smile: i got the right answer now, finally!

Reply 7
Original post by Secret.

Hey is it possible that you can help me with a another question:
A helicopter flies on a bearing of 200 degrees from A to B, where AB= 70km. It then flies on a bearing of 150 degrees from B to C, where C is due south of A. Work out the distance of C from A.

I properly know how to work it out, but I struggle with drawing the sketches.. Can you please tell me how to sketch would look like? Because I know I'm not drawing it right.

Reply 8
Original post by Taraah
Hey is it possible that you can help me with a another question:
A helicopter flies on a bearing of 200 degrees from A to B, where AB= 70km. It then flies on a bearing of 150 degrees from B to C, where C is due south of A. Work out the distance of C from A.

I properly know how to work it out, but I struggle with drawing the sketches.. Can you please tell me how to sketch would look like? Because I know I'm not drawing it right.

Hi, sorry for the late reply, I'm guessing it would look something like: http://gyazo.com/78d9fa8f6386c96686a99cbe70af496d

It also shows that C is due south of A
hope this helps.
(I kept the north lines so you can see how I got the drawing, the angles are not exact and don't have to be just approximate e.g. for 200 I used the north line as the angle of 180 and added approx 020 to it.

Quick Reply

Latest