The Student Room Group

Year 10 Work Experience Ideas?!

Hey Guys,

Its my first time using this Forum so I hope I posted this in the right section.

So in June this year, I'll be going on work experience for 2 weeks. We need to find a placement ourselves. But I'm having trouble and don't know where to go. I haven't fully decided where I want to go I was thinking something to do with but I want to go somewhere in or around Central London. Any Ideas?

The only possible places I have came up with are:

M&M's World
The Shard
Harrods
Banking/Finances etc. Maybe in Canary Whalf

Any other ideas of where to go?

(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Do something that your interested in that may help you in the future e.g if your interested in finance maybe find an accountant that you could go to :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by That_Clever_Guy
Do something that your interested in that may help you in the future e.g if your interested in finance maybe find an accountant that you could go to :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, Any ideas where?
Original post by HasannKhann
Thanks, Any ideas where?

What you looking to do in the future?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by That_Clever_Guy
What you looking to do in the future?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Things to do with ICT or Banking/Accountancy etc.
Things to do with ICT or Banking/Accountancy etc.

Without meaning to sound awful, I think at your age you think you would be interested in that but you can't really know. Is your work experience 2 weeks? If so, I would do a week there, and then a week where you would genuinely find it fun, like an arcade, or a clothes shop or something etc. It's what I wish I had done, so then you get a perspective from both ends of the spectrum.
Reply 6
If you want to do Medicine in the future, it's a good idea to find a placement at a local GP, or care home, for example.

It will be difficult to get a placement at a bank, as you're under 18.
A corner shop would be beneficial! It's not exactly high end, but, if you're dealing with the till, then you'll show your mathematical qualities! :tongue:

For now, work experience won't matter too much. Now is your chance to explore difficult career possibilities.
Reply 7
You won't get work experience in high finance unless you know someone who already works there and can shadow them, believe me I tried...
Why don't you ask your parents to get you experience at their places... Easiest way :tongue:
Reply 8
If M&M's world means some form of free chocolate at the end of it... Go for that. :perv:
Reply 9
Find a place that you know you will enjoy being at - I did my work experience last year and I & some of my friends have gone back to where we had our placements. Simply because 1. We enjoyed being there & put in a lot of effort 2. Because our work experience was successful & our managers liked us.

If you're interested in the finances and accountancy thing & can't really get a placement at a bank, it may be worthwhile working with a charity or a charity shop?

Goodluck & if you have any questions or anything go ahead & ask me :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by insignificant
Without meaning to sound awful, I think at your age you think you would be interested in that but you can't really know. Is your work experience 2 weeks? If so, I would do a week there, and then a week where you would genuinely find it fun, like an arcade, or a clothes shop or something etc. It's what I wish I had done, so then you get a perspective from both ends of the spectrum.

I do agree with you,I'm still not certain what I want to do in the future but maybe something in the field?
And yes its 2 weeks got any ideas where I could go?
Reply 11
Hey Guys,

Its my first time using this Forum so I hope I posted this in the right section.

So in June this year, I'll be going on work experience for 2 weeks. We need to find a placement ourselves. But I'm having trouble and don't know where to go. I haven't fully decided where I want to go I was thinking something to do with but I want to go somewhere in or around Central London. Any Ideas?

M&M's World
The Shard
Harrods

You could get work experience at an investment bank, I did my work experience at Investec. Put together your CV, predicted GCSEs extra curriculars etc and a covering letter and send them to a few places. It gives a good experience similar to job hunting, expect a lot of rejections and some just won't bother replying (about 12/15 places I applied didn't bother to reply.)
Reply 12
Original post by cl_steele
You won't get work experience in high finance unless you know someone who already works there and can shadow them, believe me I tried...
Why don't you ask your parents to get you experience at their places... Easiest way :tongue:

I've been told that already but I thought it still may be worth a try. :tongue:
And I dont really want to go to my parents workplace since I know it's not much of my interest.
Hey Guys,

M&M's World
The Shard
Harrods

Hey I just came back from my year 10 work experience :smile: I did mine at my primary school which was an easy but good option as I got to use a lot of skills and practise things like being patient and trying to maintain order etc which is what all employers would want their employees to have so it made me develop some good qualities! I would recommend not working at a shop like a corner shop because you could go to some place far more exciting! Harrods is OK but do you really want to be sitting around at the till for ages?! Though tbf, I wouldnt mind working there if I get a discount :wink: The Shard sounds pretty cool but again, what do you think you're actually going to end up doing there? Canary wharf sounds like the best option (though M+M sounds fun hahaha) if you want to do something like banking etc but at the end of the day you're in year 10 so you still have a while before you choose what you want to do as a job so I'd just recommend going somewhere where you'll be kept busy doing different types of activities and you'll get to practice different skills which you can then talk about if someone asks you :smile: hope this helped some how!
I do agree with you,I'm still not certain what I want to do in the future but maybe something in the field?
And yes its 2 weeks got any ideas where I could go?

Well I suggest you apply for a weeks work experience in anything in the finance sector, I think at the moment you can't be picky. If anything I think you would have more of a chance of getting experience in a local accountancy firm. That way you see the financial side of things, you can go out on projects, and you also see the interaction with the public. Alternatively, apply to banks, investment banks etc.

Then do a week in something you would find fun. What are your interests? TV production? Could work with a production firm, or BBC/ITV/SKY etc. Like travel? Could work in a travel agency. Karate? Work in a karate school. Airports? Work for an airline.

I just really want to encourage you to do something for a week where you don't think it would be possible or feasible as a job, don't settle for mediocrity.
Reply 15
Original post by Acruzen
You could get work experience at an investment bank, I did my work experience at Investec. Put together your CV, predicted GCSEs extra curriculars etc and a covering letter and send them to a few places. It gives a good experience similar to job hunting, expect a lot of rejections and some just won't bother replying (about 12/15 places I applied didn't bother to reply.)

Thanks, so do you think it will be better to email or give them a call?
Reply 16
Thanks, so do you think it will be better to email or give them a call?

Post or email preferable.
Reply 17
I've been told that already but I thought it still may be worth a try. :tongue:
And I dont really want to go to my parents workplace since I know it's not much of my interest.

Oh neither but it was easy to do and easy to get in to :tongue:.
mummy true cant hurt but just saying I wouldn't get your hopes up, UBS and CSFP were particularly rude when I called back when I did it -_-
Animals shelters, Cadbury factory, Doctors, WHS Smith :smile:
Reply 19
It's perfectly possible to get work experience in finance. When I was 15 I did unpaid work experience in the IT department of a regional office of a large bank. It went well, they invited me back and now I'll be starting a graduate job there this summer.

The nature of IT is that very often there are repetitive tasks that need to be done, e.g. rolling out new equipment to people or updating some spreadsheet. The people working there would be busy doing other stuff so they would love to have someone in to help with that kind of thing.

If you get rejected by some places, all I can suggest is that you keep looking - make sure you tell them that you're interested on going further in whatever area you apply for so they know the work experience won't be wasted. It's very difficult to get paid jobs at the moment so any work experience would be really valuable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending