The Student Room Group

China is engineering High IQ offsprings

It’s not exactly news that China is setting itself up as a new global superpower, is it? While Western civilization chokes on its own gluttony like a latter-day Marlon Brando, China continues to buy up American debt and lock away the world’s natural resources. But now, not content to simply laugh and make jerk-off signs as they pass us on the geopolitical highway, they’ve also developed a state-endorsed genetic-engineering project.
At BGI Shenzhen, scientists have collected DNA samples from 2,000 of the world’s smartest people and are sequencing their entire genomes in an attempt to identify the alleles which determine human intelligence. Apparently they’re not far from finding them, and when they do, embryo screening will allow parents to pick their brightest zygote and potentially bump up every generation's intelligence by five to 15 IQ points. Within a couple of generations, competing with the Chinese on an intellectual level will be like challenging Lena Dunham to a getting-naked-on-TV contest.
Geoffrey Miller, an evolutionary psychologist and lecturer at NYU, is one of the 2,000 braniacs who contributed their DNA. I spoke to him about what this creepy-ass program might mean for the future of Chinese kids.

http://www.vice.com/read/chinas-taking-over-the-world-with-a-massive-genetic-engineering-program

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SaraWarah
China's economic and political system means that it'll never really be the global superpower.

Naive. Extremely.
Personally i have worked with alot of chineese foreign students and we have nothing to worry about yet.
Reply 3
China's economic and political system means that it'll never really be the global superpower.

China has an mixed economy just like most Western nation (I mean who really practices the true free market?), and it no longer depends on FDI for economic investments as it did in the 90s. In-fact, China it's self provides FDI for many developing nations. China's political system will naturally changes once GDP per Capita rises enough... as an middle class will emerge which will demand more freedom. The world will not be dominated by people of the Anglo-Saxon stock.
Reply 4
That tecnology will spreed to the west or will be avaivale to westerns, due to the potential for monumental profits, or if worst come s to worst it will be sized from the chinenes do you really think that western nations with the tecnologial and milatry advatnages over china, will alllow them to devlop a race of super human?
Reply 5
China would have to move away from an export based economy to an domestic/service based economy. Nevertheless, we saw the effects of the PRC's industrial might.
I'm a postgrad economist at Cambridge.. why would I be naive?

Yes academics are always right. Cambridge has gone down in my eyes. Corporations have a strong hold on university education. Carry on. Best of luck with debt.
Reply 7
Intelligence does not exist.

But if it did, IQ would be a terrible, terrible measure of it.

If the Chinese are doing this, it shows the triumph of western philosophy over eastern philosophy.
Reply 8
Original post by Bill_Gates
Yes academics are always right. Cambridge has gone down in my eyes. Corporations have a strong hold on university education. Carry on. Best of luck with debt.

Cambridge is not the only university good for economics. We're forgetting LSE, and a lot of other universities.

I dislike esoteric concepts and establishments.
Reply 9
Original post by Melthusa

If the Chinese are doing this, it shows the triumph of western philosophy over eastern philosophy.

Exactly. Intelligence is what? Grinding to learn a text-book? Getting a book to show you how to develop technique and to think more intelligently? Luck and intuition developed by experience?

It's accessible to everyone. Don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise.

+ Chinese students , or the culture in china -from what i heard- is very academic focused, vigilant ect. Same with Indians,and pakistani's.
Reply 10
Original post by Melthusa

I agree, all this would do is kill off innovation and scientific and Economic/Political spekistism which is important for an advance society. Nevertheless, Chinese students are surpassing western students.
Don't forget India, they're good on the technology and human resources front.
Reply 12
Original post by MENDACIUM
Exactly. Intelligence is what? Grinding to learn a text-book? Getting a book to show you how to develop technique and to think more intelligently? Luck and intuition developed by experience?

It's accessible to everyone. Don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise.

+ Chinese students , or the culture in china -from what i heard- is very academic focused, vigilant ect. Same with Indians,and pakistani's.

It's called Confucius .. search it on the internet and you will understand why nations like Korea, Japan and soon China became Economic powerhouses.
Reply 13
Original post by Archimonkey
Don't forget India, they're good on the technology and human resources front.

Indians, East Asians and West Africans excel in the field of academic progress in the west.
Reply 14
Totally misleading; more screening, less engineering. Because IQ is a determinant of success in life.
Thought still pretty interesting, I love how China is simply careering towards technological progress without so much regards for, as Miller says, "ideological bias". Sigh, why can't we have this same drive and focus towards progress over here? Oh ye that's right, we're not a dictatorship!

Given China's questionable politics I wonder if they would only allow those living in cities the choice to screen their eggs for the most prodigal offspring Wouldn't want your laborers in the countryside getting too smart...
I don't think anyone cares about how an Aston undergraduate thinks that 'Cambridge has gone down'. I'm not in debt, anyway.

He's at Aston, in his third year. I'm saying that he's in a poor position to comment on how naive postgraduate economists at world-leading institutions are. I'm not forgetting LSE!

Dont let the fact that youre at Cambridge cloud your ass. Just saying..
Reply 16
I don't think anyone cares about how an Aston undergraduate thinks that 'Cambridge has gone down'. I'm not in debt, anyway.

He's at Aston, in his third year. I'm saying that he's in a poor position to comment on how naive postgraduate economists at world-leading institutions are. I'm not forgetting LSE!

I just feel you need to have a bit more humility. It's not the man that says the argument, but what the argument is. There are differences of opinion. If i went to my shed in the garden to learn, and i gave a good argument read from a book and well sourced, and i felt yours was not , and gave good reasons, you would be obliged to attack my argument, and not degrade my institution.

Aston is decent from what i have heard.

Haha enjoy that little red gem. You don't know anything! feel sorry for you. Free market capitalist system didnt offer you a job? poor you, thanks for trolling through my posts much appreciated. Aston FTW.
Reply 18
Original post by Sulphur
Totally misleading; more screening, less engineering. Because IQ is a determinant of success in life.
Thought still pretty interesting, I love how China is simply careering towards technological progress without so much regards for, as Miller says, "ideological bias". Sigh, why can't we have this same drive and focus towards progress over here? Oh ye that's right, we're not a dictatorship!

Given China's questionable politics I wonder if they would only allow those living in cities the choice to screen their eggs for the most prodigal offspring Wouldn't want your laborers in the countryside getting too smart...

Not much people give an damn about politics in China. East Asians were always less political compared to westerners just look at democratic Japan, where the same party (LDP) was in power for 50 years. People in that part of the world wants progress.
Reply 19
Original post by jakemittle
Dont let the fact that youre at Cambridge cloud your ass. Just saying..

I think it's the sheep of TSR who assume cambridge is the be all and end all - it isn't.

Just look at the league tables where it's beaten by other universities in a myriad of subjects, or is par on par with other universities.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending