The Student Room Group

Best friend's girlfriend is using him

My best friend has been going out with this girl for a while now. I hang around with him in college a lot and she is often there and I've noticed quite a few weird things that she does which I would not put up with if she was my girlfriend. One is that she is constantly "receiving" gifts from him. No special occasion or anything.

I could go on forever but the main thing is that if he does the slightest thing that she doesn't approve of then she will refuse to talk to him and blank him for days at a time. Like WTF??? Is that even a relationship?

She has blanked him for forgetting to tell her something which wasn't even a big deal, called him a liar and a traitor. I don't hit girls but I was so close to it that day.

I think she is his first actual relationship so he's clinging on as hard as he can but what do I do? She just gives him **** that he just doesn't need and stresses him out for no good reason
(edited 11 years ago)
It ticks me off seeing him like this it's like he's her dog or something. I just don't want to see him like this.
Reply 2
To some extent I think every man is exploited by a girlfriend at some stage. You can't convince him, the poor bugger will just have to learn for himself how to avoid exploitative relationships, just as girls have to learn for themselves that dating some dickhead 5 years older than them isn't a good move even if they "love" them
You should talk to him about it, but be subtle. Just ask him if she's making him happy, and if not why is he still with her?
Also, is she hot?
Original post by epicnerd
My best friend has been going out with this girl for a while now. I hang around with him in college a lot and she is often there and I've noticed quite a few weird things that she does which I would not put up with if she was my girlfriend. One is that she is constantly "receiving" gifts from him. No special occasion or anything.

I could go on forever but the main thing is that if he does the slightest thing that she doesn't approve of then she will refuse to talk to him and blank him for days at a time. Like WTF??? Is that even a relationship?

She has blanked him for forgetting to tell her something which wasn't even a big deal, called him a liar and a traitor. I don't hit girls but I was so close to it that day.

I think she is his first actual relationship so he's clinging on as hard as he can but what do I do? She just gives him sh** that he just doesn't need and stresses him out for no good reason

At the end of the day you can't really do anything. He's chosen to be with her and it doesn't sound like she's done anything that bad. People can be quite emotional in relationships and dynamics quite often go up and down where people take a break for a few days or get pissed off at one another and say things they don't mean. It's natural and just so long as neither of them is being abusive, it's not like there's anything wrong that's happening. Unless your friend is really unhappy there's no real cause for concern here; and I'm sorry mate but it's not your business to intervene
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by SummitOfReason
At the end of the day you can't really do anything. He's chosen to be with her and it doesn't sound like she's done anything that bad. People can be quite emotional in relationships and dynamics quite often go up and down where people take a break for a few days or get pissed off at one another and say things they don't mean. It's natural and just so long as neither of them is being abusive, it's not like there's anything wrong that's happening. Unless your friend is really unhappy there's no real cause for concern here; and I'm sorry mate but it's not your business to intervene

She literally threatened to stop talking to him because he wanted some of her pepsi, I mean...WTF?
Original post by Dragonrage973
You should talk to him about it, but be subtle. Just ask him if she's making him happy, and if not why is he still with her?
Also, is she hot?

One guy said to him "you can do better" and they fell out so I really can't find any subtle ways to put this.
One guy said to him "you can do better" and they fell out so I really can't find any subtle ways to put this.

Then I say you be a man and confront HER directly. I know hitting a girl is wrong on many different levels but that's no reason why you can't make it absolutely clear to her that if she doesn't stop treating him like **** then she's going to have to answer to you. If that doesn't work, just stay with your friend until he finds out the hard way :/
Oh GOD. She sounds so irritating. Seems like she needs a right slap to bring her back down to earth :P
Reply 9
Despite her sounding borderline psychotic leave it be, he will know the score and nobody especially likes having their relationship meddled with.
Reply 10
Original post by ysgytlaeth
Oh GOD. She sounds so irritating. Seems like she needs a right slap to bring her back down to earth :P

Then we can safely presume you will be providing this service? :tongue:
X

The point is... she's his girlfriend. In a toss-up between you and her, he will always choose her.

He will work out her wickedness in his own time, if you try to help things along he will blame you for the relationship not working out, and you'll lose a good friend.

Trust me when I say; let him make work out this mistake in his own time.
Original post by CJKay
Then we can safely presume you will be providing this service? :tongue:

If she is within a 10 mile radius of where I live then I will gladly do so :biggrin:
I'm thinking of just asking "How come she always threatens to not talk to you?" and hope that makes him think a bit about what is going on. I don't want to be doing too much meddling but you know, I'll disguise it as my observing. If all works out she'll start treating him human after all. I just hate seeing him stressed by it every other day
It ticks me off seeing him like this it's like he's her dog or something. I just don't want to see him like this.

You are a good friend. She sounds like she's taking the piss and it doesn;t sound like love, more like dysfunction. Just tell him to end it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending