The Student Room Group

Nottinghams chances at FO investment banking

Hi

I was wondering what are nottinghams realistic chances of getting into FO IB compared to the 'target uni's'?
Reply 1
Original post by mohamed68
Hi

I was wondering what are nottinghams realistic chances of getting into FO IB compared to the 'target uni's'?

*Depends on the course you choose.
*Depends on how well you network.
*Depends on the presentation of your CV.
*Depends on the quality of your extra-curricular activities

You see 1 or 2 on the banking side in each intern class.
Hi

as long as your not studying computer science and e-commerce there lol

You should know who im talking about
Reply 3
Definitely dooable with a lot of work. At the very least you will be in a good position to get into a Warwick, LSE, Oxbridge masters. What course are you doing?
Reply 4
Original post by nugiboy
Definitely dooable with a lot of work. At the very least you will be in a good position to get into a Warwick, LSE, Oxbridge masters. What course are you doing?

I'm going to do Bsc Economics at Nottingham. I also have a Warwick offer for Bsc Management, however I was worried about Bsc Management being a less prestigious course, what do you advice?
Reply 5
Appologies OP, this isn't related to this thread.

Original post by Dukeofwembley
why do youu have to go around barking to everyone about MBing, keep it to urself and let the punters do their thing, if anyone wants to learn all they have to do is scroll down the page!!

You're profile preferences don't allow people to respond to you when you leave annoying little messages. Who the hell are you and what is 'MBing'?
Reply 6
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by klop114
x

lol.

OP would warn against taking advice from kids who probably havent even step foot inside a bank yet.

I'm going to do Bsc Economics at Nottingham. I also have a Warwick offer for Bsc Management, however I was worried about Bsc Management being a less prestigious course, what do you advice?

By and large, your degree doesnt matter.

Warwick > Nottingham
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by MAINE.
lol.

OP would warn against taking advice from kids who probably havent even step foot inside a bank yet.

Warwick > Nottingham

'havent even step foot inside a bank yet.'

All of my lel. Even if you were correct on this issue, that statement makes you sound like a complete muppet.

Listen OP, I also went to Nottingham (just finished last year) and 3 of my friends, one of which was my housemate, got jobs in FO roles at banks including RBS and Deutsche Bank and HSBC (trading). Many people also went on to do masters this year at LSE, Oxbridge and Warwick.

This guy above is right in that Warwick is more of a target school than Nottingham, but it's stupid to say that you have no chance with the latter. Nottingham commands a good amount of attention from IB recruiters, and I'm of the strong opinion that an Economics degree gives you more options than a Management degree in field you're hoping to get into - even if it's from a slightly lower targeted school. The quantitative skills you'll build up are pretty essential for of the roles you'd be applying for and especially if you want to do a masters.

That being said, both courses give you a good chance of breaking in, and you will be in a good position with whichever one you choose.

If you asked Warwick Economics vs Nottingham Economics then I'd definitely go with Warwick.
Reply 9
Original post by nugiboy

All of my lel. Even if you were correct on this issue, that statement makes you sound like a complete muppet.

Listen OP, I also went to Nottingham (just finished last year) and 3 of my friends, one of which was my housemate, got jobs in FO roles at banks including RBS and Deutsche Bank and HSBC (trading). Many people also went on to do masters this year at LSE, Oxbridge and Warwick.

This guy above is right in that Warwick is more of a target school than Nottingham, but it's stupid to say that you have no chance with the latter. Nottingham commands a good amount of attention from IB recruiters, and I'm of the strong opinion that an Economics degree gives you more options than a Management degree in field you're hoping to get into - even if it's from a slightly lower targeted school. The quantitative skills you'll build up are pretty essential for of the roles you'd be applying for and especially if you want to do a masters.

That being said, both courses give you a good chance of breaking in, and you will be in a good position with whichever one you choose.

If you asked Warwick Economics vs Nottingham Economics then I'd definitely go with Warwick.

Dude, strong insecure vibes from your post. Didnt say you have no chance from Nottingham.

All I said, is that:

a) degree doesnt matter
b) Uni does however, so OP should pick Warwick.

Unlike you I am not trying to convince OP to make a potentially life-changing decision based purely on anecdotal evidence.

OP, Management at Warwick has a lot of electives - you can make it as quantitative as you like. Quantitiave modules will only potentially matter if going for some specific trading roles though. Doesnt matter for Sales, Research and IBD. Regardless of what division you go for though, you will find 90% of what you learn on an Economics or Management degree will be irrelevant to your actual job anyway.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by MAINE.
lol.

Warwick > Nottingham

This is true, degree is irrelevant, its the uni that matters, warwick is targeted more than UCL now, and way more than notts
Reply 11
Original post by somaiyar
This is true, degree is irrelevant, its the uni that matters, warwick is targeted more than UCL now, and way more than notts

i'm intrigued as to how you came to that conclusion?
Reply 12
Nottingham is a better nightlife than Warwick too
Original post by klop114
BSc Economics at Nottingham definitely gives you a chance.
I have 4 friends doing Economics related courses in their 2nd year at Nottingham and one of them has a Summer Analyst position at UBS in a front office role. Another has a back office position at UBS, although that is not relevant to your ambitions though.

Out of the two you said I would take Nottingham as I think an Economics course gives you a slight advantage over a management course and some positions prefer a more quantitative degree. However, I do know a Warwick Economics (not management) grad in a IB role at Deutsche.

I am also at a non-target Russell Group (not Notts) and despite only applying late on (late Jan onwards - the most stupid thing I have ever done lol) have managed to get interviews and ACs for front office roles at big banks - one definite BB, 3 MM/borderline BB. I have not secured a SA role yet but have one more AC lined up and secured some work experience with a huge law firm and I am also making progress with some boutiques.

My advice is really work on your application at university, join the business/finance society and any others you enjoy, get involved in sport if you like it (most interviewers loved talking about this), maybe do some travelling if you have time, apply for spring weeks in your first year (something I also missed out on).

But most of all focus on averaging a 2.1/1st in your first year - I know BAML ask for module grades from 1st year - and of course your second year, you could do all the extra-curriculars on offer and get a SA offer but you will not be able to meet the FT offer with a 2.2 in your degree.

Good Luck

Original post by nugiboy

So studying at Warwick compared to Manchester, Notts, Kings College would kind off get your foot in the door right?

What about Kings College and a Maths degree..do you know anyone who has secured FO roles? :smile: Thanks guys :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by User3
i'm intrigued as to how you came to that conclusion?

no. of people getting SW/summer internships at top BB are higher at warwick, especially last year, and looks the same this year, got friends at UCL
Reply 15
Original post by somaiyar
no. of people getting SW/summer internships at top BB are higher at warwick, especially last year, and looks the same this year, got friends at UCL

You have to factor in that Warwick has a whole business school, which offers a range of degrees which are geared towards banking, as well as an economics department and maths department. UCL has an economics department and a maths department only; aside from these there aren't any undergraduate degrees at UCL which are filled with students all wanting to pursue investment banking. It's like saying that Imperial is less targeted than Warwick or UCL because they get roughly half the number of graduates into front office as them; you have to be aware that Imperial offers a load of high quality yet unrelated degrees where very few will actually want to go into investment banking.

On the whole, whether you go to UCL or Warwick is negligible in terms of chances of front office banking. I would also say that Imperial is a similar level to Oxford, Cambridge and LSE despite them placing a far lower number of graduates into front office.
Original post by nugiboy

If i went to an average or crap uni and got a 1st class in economics then did my masters at a target uni would that give me a shot at IB?
Reply 17
Original post by MAINE.
lol.

Warwick > Nottingham

Finally somebody who spoke the truth
Reply 18
Original post by Indus
X

Finally some sense.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending