The Student Room Group

China is engineering High IQ offsprings

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MENDACIUM
I just feel you need to have a bit more humility. It's not the man that says the argument, but what the argument is. There are differences of opinion. If i went to my shed in the garden to learn, and i gave a good argument read from a book and well sourced, and i felt yours was not , and gave good reasons, you would be obliged to attack my argument, and not degrade my institution.

Aston is decent from what i have heard.

Top 20 Business school. I have no time for trolls like her.
Reply 21
Original post by SaraWarah
I'm not saying that at all. I'm just peeved that an undergraduate can comment on Cambridge's position in academia, especially as he's not even at Cambridge to have experienced it.

I wasn't attacking his university, as above. I'd have said the same thing to an Oxford student, that as an undergraduate Oxford student you can't comment on how Cambridge is faring in academia.

He does not need to go to cambridge to have an opinion on your view point though. Cambridge does not have a seal on international politics and economics.
He does not need to go to cambridge to have an opinion on your view point though. Cambridge does not have a seal on international politics and economics.

If it did and she was there. I feel sorry for the world. Poor her. They should have extra classes at Cambridge for people like that.
Reply 23
Original post by Bill_Gates
If it did and she was there. I feel sorry for the world. Poor her. They should have extra classes at Cambridge for people like that.

Hater gonna hate. I know someone who did Economics and Maths at Aston and went in the Bank of England as an stockbroker right after Graduation. Aston economics FTW
Reply 24
Original post by SaraWarah
Cambridge is ranked first in the majority of its courses on the complete university guide...

3rd for economics - complete university guide
5th for economics - gaurdian

we are talking about economics / international politics.
Original post by Melthusa
Intelligence does not exist.

But if it did, IQ would be a terrible, terrible measure of it.

If the Chinese are doing this, it shows the triumph of western philosophy over eastern philosophy.

Where did you do your phd in psychology

If you think IQ is a terrible measure of intelligence than i think evolution is false

afterall, the government has funded both, and you think your smarter than the hundreds of psychologists who established links

Please retard somewhere else next time, maybe the daily mail
Reply 26
Original post by Dukeofwembley

If you think IQ is a terrible measure of intelligence than i think evolution is false

afterall, the government has funded both, and you think your smarter than the hundreds of psychologists who established links

There are many top physchologists who feel the 'IQ' test is not a true measure of intelligence if it can even be measured in one test.
Reply 27
As much as I agree that one shouldn't boast about their institution in an attempt to diminish an opponent's argument, it can be used to demonstrate their suitability to discussing a certain topic.
I'm sure Aston is a fine university but it's not Cambridge...I mean come on...

Interesting that Cambridge isn't exactly renowned for economics in comparison to a few other universities in the UK; if you're gonna boast do it right!
There are many top physchologists who feel the 'IQ' test is not a true measure of intelligence if it can even be measured in one test.

Tell me, how many people do you think in cambridge and oxford have an iq lower than 110(students wise)
Reply 29
Tell me, how many people do you think in cambridge and oxford have an iq lower than 110(students wise)

How many in any of the british universities for the competitive subjects have that?
Reply 30
Original post by Sulphur
As much as I agree that one shouldn't boast about their institution in an attempt to diminish an opponent's argument, it can be used to demonstrate their suitability to discussing a certain topic.
I'm sure Aston is a fine university but it's not Cambridge...I mean come on...

Interesting that Cambridge isn't exactly renowned for economics in comparison to a few other universities in the UK; if you're gonna boast do it right!

It was not being used in conjunction to an argument. It was being show-boated and then at the same time, the OP's institution was being insulted.

Humility - you just can't buy.
Reply 31

Ohh, if its the government then of course it must be right. After all, the government is an entity that always knows better and nobody ever questions things that it does.

You have no idea how ridiculous you sound.
Reply 32

Oxford University; as an undergraduate if you wish to know.

I didn't really understand much of what you said other than the first line.
Reply 33

1st. The existence of intelligence has not been empirically proved.

2nd. IQ tests were invented to find children with problems in school-based cognitive tasks such as maths, comprehension, reasoning, etc. IQ was never made to measure intelligence.

:smile:
Original post by Juichiro
1st. The existence of intelligence has not been empirically proved.

2nd. IQ tests were invented to find children with problems in school-based cognitive tasks such as maths, comprehension, reasoning, etc. IQ was never made to measure intelligence.

:smile:

ok then, use some common sense, why do you think some people, no matter how hard they try, cannot get above a c at gcse

why is it that gcse results can predict a level results?

Iq exists, saying it is not empirically proved is saying evolution is not empirically proven

Go on , give me a reason why cambridge students are at cambridge, do you think they all work harder then everyone else?

Why is it that everything apart from intelligence we can accept natural talent, ie all sports music

But when it comes to academia, NO, it must not exist

FFS, To the Psychologist from oxford, answer me this, why did the US universties use a test that measured iq to allow people into the top universities

Are they wrong, and are you write, do you know more than admissions tutors? well enlighten us

Why is it that the UKCAT test uses drawings and asks you what matches with it, why is it that most people,even though they do it again, do not achieve significantly higher results( please, no idiots who read about one guy going from 650 to 850 and thinking it applies to every single person). What relevance does random pictures have to do with medicine?????

Why do companies require aptitude tests, is it to weed out the hard workers from the bright, and what are the bright

I can go on and on, i cant believe you have studied at oxford, yet you cannot grasp simple concepts!

Pardon my english, i am not writing an essay , i do not wish to waste time editing my posts
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 35
ok then, use some common sense, why do you think some people, no matter how hard they try, cannot get above a c at gcse

Iq exists, saying it is not empirically proved is saying evolution is not empirically proven

There is evidence for evolution even if it is not direct. There is no direct or indirect evidence for that thing called intelligence. A bunch of the top psychologists were asked what was intelligence a couple of years ago. Guess what? Every one of them came up with a different definition. :smile:
Original post by Juichiro
There is evidence for evolution even if it is not direct. There is no direct or indirect evidence for that thing called intelligence. A bunch of the top psychologists were asked what was intelligence a couple of years ago. Guess what? Every one of them came up with a different definition. :smile:

They did not ask what academic intelligence was, that is what is in discussion here and that is what iq measures very closely
Reply 37

Go on , give me a reason why cambridge students are at cambridge, do you think they all work harder then everyone else?

Why is it that everything apart from intelligence we can accept natural talent, ie all sports music

But when it comes to academia, NO, it must not exist

FFS, To the Psychologist from oxford, answer me this, why did the US universties use a test that measured iq to allow people into the top universities

Are they wrong, and are you write, do you know more than admissions tutors? well enlighten us

Why is it that the UKCAT test uses drawings and asks you what matches with it, why is it that most people,even though they do it again, do not achieve significantly higher results( please, no idiots who read about one guy going from 650 to 850 and thinking it applies to every single person). What relevance does random pictures have to do with medicine?????

Why do companies require aptitude tests, is it to weed out the hard workers from the bright, and what are the bright

I can go on and on, i cant believe you have studied at oxford, yet you cannot grasp simple concepts!

Pardon my english, i am not writing an essay , i do not wish to waste time editing my posts

Ok, I sailed through my A-levels and I'm currently in my A2 year. My predicted grades are A*A*AA, I hold an offer from LSE and all that **** and I never struggled, ignoring most of my homework assignments and generally being extremely lazy.
I measured my IQ once with a test that is widely considered to be legit and it was just above 90, that's where my belief that IQ is bull**** was heavily reinforced. Early education is what makes the biggest impact on your life, this is undeniable, a thing like IQ is pure bull**** and you certainly cannot pre-engineer intelligence, I believe it is a thing that mostly develops up until you're 10 through hard work.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by CEKTOP
Ok, I sailed through my A-levels and I'm currently in my A2 year. My predicted grades are A*A*AA, I hold an offer from LSE and all that **** and I never struggled, ignoring most of my homework assignments and generally being extremely lazy.
I measured my IQ once with a test that is widely considered to be legit and it was just above 90, that's where my belief that IQ is bull**** was heavily reinforced.

DOESNT MATTER WHAT YOU BELIEVE, i believe that clouds are made from candy floss, but guess what, its not true

the iq test you took was probably flawed, take an mensa iq test and actually do it to the best of your ability,
Reply 39
Original post by Type 052D
China has an mixed economy just like most Western nation (I mean who really practices the true free market?), and it no longer depends on FDI for economic investments as it did in the 90s. In-fact, China it's self provides FDI for many developing nations. China's political system will naturally changes once GDP per Capita rises enough... as an middle class will emerge which will demand more freedom. The world will not be dominated by people of the Anglo-Saxon stock.

Says who? data please. As far as I am concerned, China is China solely because of FDI. Let's see the numbers.

And it doesn't matter whether China is less depended on FDI than it was in the 90s. South Korea is less depended on FDI than it was in the 80s but it's still an extremely important part of its economy.

And the world is not dominated by people of the Anglo-Saxon stock. The French, the Germans, the Japanese, the Dutch, the Jews and ofc many many Americans are not of that "stock".
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending