The Student Room Group

North Dakota has banned abortions

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by kunoichi
Some girl in my school didnt bother with contraception and aborted her baby, then still couldnt be bothered to go to a doctor and sort herself out, got pregnant with triplets and aborted all of them. People like that disgust me.

:frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: RIP to the four children that never were.
Original post by Iron Lady
To me exceptional circumstances entail where the pregnant mother was not consenting (i.e. rape), the health of the mother is in doubt, or there is doubt that the child will be born into a stable home.

But the latter doesn't mean it should be killed. There are plenty of couples who would like a child. So I find it deplorable that people view abortion so liberally and with great insensitivity, i.e., "my body, my choice, ain't no-one else's business, I do what I like!" which is all well and good until there is a life. You wouldn't kill your neighbour, so why is this any different?

However if there literally isn't any choice, then fair enough. RIP, little fella.

You're still talking about adoption like it's just a walk in the park. Like a woman doesn't have to make sacrifices and go through physical and probable emotional trauma, not to mention the possibility for post-natal depression and then the child will probably end up in a home, with all the other children waiting to be adopted.
Reply 162
Original post by minimarshmallow
This kind of thing should be very strongly discouraged, but still allowed. But she should have had compulsory appointments made for family planning etc. but she shouldn't have been made to have the children.

She needs a trip to the prison cell.
She needs a trip to the prison cell.

So she should have sacrificed her physical and possible emotional wellbeing for four children to suffer?
This kind of thing should be very strongly discouraged, but still allowed. But she should have had compulsory appointments made for family planning etc. but she shouldn't have been made to have the children.

I didnt say she shouldnt have had the abortion, she was 13 at the time, so couldnt have coped with children.

I was making a point about the attitude of some people towards abortions and that they shouldnt be seen as an alternative used for 'oh i cba to buy a condom, ill just abort if i get pregnant'.

I fully support abortion, i was not saying anyone should be denied it, but i agree with the person i quoted that some teenagers do just see it as their main point of contraception and they definately need some re-education.
I didnt say she shouldnt have had the abortion, she was 13 at the time, so couldnt have coped with children.

I was making a point about the attitude of some people towards abortions and that they shouldnt be seen as an alternative used for 'oh i cba to buy a condom, ill just abort if i get pregnant'.

I fully support abortion, i was not saying anyone should be denied it, but i agree with the person i quoted that some teenagers do just see it as their main point of contraception and they definately need some re-education.

I know you're pro-choice, but I was pointing out that pro-choice doesn't mean pro-abortion and that pro-education is also fundamental (basically, I think we have the same argument).
:frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: RIP to the four children that never were.

I almost cried when i got told. This girl needs some serious guidance and education.
I know you're pro-choice, but I was pointing out that pro-choice doesn't mean pro-abortion and that pro-education is also fundamental (basically, I think we have the same argument).

I think we do :smile: just wanted to make sure i hadnt offended you.
Reply 168
You're still talking about adoption like it's just a walk in the park. Like a woman doesn't have to make sacrifices and go through physical and probable emotional trauma, not to mention the possibility for post-natal depression and then the child will probably end up in a home, with all the other children waiting to be adopted.

Look, this won't be popular, but anyway:

When sex is carried out people need to ask, if this condom splits, will I be able to face the consequences? If the answer is no, then take responsibility and not have sex. If abortion is the "safety net", yes, that is a form of second contraception. They were fully aware of the consequences.

I understand that abortion is no easy decision for any woman, but that's stating the obvious, they have in effect taken away a child's right to life. It's only natural for them to feel upset. In adoption, some might have the peace of mind that despite the circumstances surrounding their pregnancy, they have still given their child a start in life. That's a very brave and honorable decision to make.

Adoption needs to be simplified. Bureaucracy has taken a new low.
I think we do :smile: just wanted to make sure i hadnt offended you.

I'm pretty difficult to offend.
Good that we're on the same side! You can keep up the good work if I have to stop posting because of my shoulder injury!
Reply 170
So she should have sacrificed her physical and possible emotional wellbeing for four children to suffer?

Why is she so important?
I'm pretty difficult to offend.
Good that we're on the same side! You can keep up the good work if I have to stop posting because of my shoulder injury!

haha ill try :P get better soon
Reply 172
Why is she so important?

Living, breathing, adult > Unborn cells
Original post by Kazbian
But this logic just doesn't follow, because it is the child who will suffer as a result.

It isn't fair that women have the biological burden of carrying the child, but that's just the way it is. She should be able to have control over her own body. I agree it isn't fair that the mother gets more control in whether there is or isn't a child, but it would be much worse if she didn't. That stops half of humanity from having control over their own bodies. If she decides not to abort the foetus and has the child, the key person involved in all this is the child. It doesn't matter that the mother could have chosen not to have it; she chose to have it, now there is a child involved and that child takes precedence. Both parents are obligated to provide for it, because the child is the innocent party and they will be the one suffering if either parent doesn't.

You only like double standards when they are convenient for you huh? :smile: no, your logic isn't good enough I could say that women should not be allowed to abort because of the well being of the child then! Because the child comes first? Haha, yeah... I'm not arguing that she should not have control over her body, but why the hell should he pay for eighteen years for sex?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 174
I almost cried when i got told. This girl needs some serious guidance and education.

It's so cruel, especially after the first one, anyone would have learned their lesson. :sad:
Why is she so important?

Because she's a fully fledged, self supporting person and her life and her right to chose what happens to her body shouldn't be dictated by or taken away by the ball of cells that doesn't even resemble a human being and a bunch of people telling her that it is!
Not to mention if that ball of cells eventually does become a human being, it's going to be in a crap position because either it'll have a mother that doesn't want it or be waiting in a home in the hope that one that does will come along, and even then it's still not rainbows and butterflies because there's the being bullied for being adopted and the wanting to know who your birth mother is and the abandonment issues.
All for a ball of cells.

Pro-life, my arse.
Original post by jreid1994
You only like double standards when they are convenient for you huh? :smile: no, your logic isn't good enough I could say that women should not be allowed to abort because of the well being of the child then! Because the child comes first? Haha, yeah... I'm not arguing that she should not have control over her body, but why the hell should he pay for eighteen years for sex?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because the child isn't a child till it's viable ~24 weeks I believe...
Reply 177
Original post by Beowulf
Living, breathing, adult > Unborn cells

minimarshmallow was talking about "emotional" well-being of the woman who aborted. Depending on the case in mind, e.g. if it's as distressing as the one kunoichi provided, I don't think it's fair that they are given preference and cuddles for having an abortion, or having sex when they were unable to deal with the consequences.

Also those unborn cells as you put it were you once. And they could have developed into a being outside of the womb. But don't worry. Answer me this, if a woman miscarried would you comfort her by saying "it's only unborn cells"? No, because she was expecting a child. Don't change vocabulary to suit your agenda.
Because the child isn't a child till it's viable ~24 weeks I believe...

Again, not a good reason, if it's just a ball of cells to her, it's just a zygote he made? I sure could say the same as all it is that he did was make a sperm cell.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
minimarshmallow was talking about "emotional" well-being of the woman who aborted.

And physical. I actually only said probably emotional, she might be fine, she might end up with post-natal depression and kill herself.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending