The Student Room Group

Mass murderer Anders Breivik asks for permission to leave prison for mother's funeral

Poll

Where do you stand on this most heinous suggestion, old chap?

Jailed Norwegian mass murderer Anders Breivik has asked to be allowed to leave prison to attend his mother’s funeral.

The far-right fanatic, who was jailed for 21 years after killing 77 people in Norway’s worst peacetime massacre, is said to be “grieving” his loss.

His lawyer, Tord Jordet, said it is up to the prison board to decide whether he can go and pay his respects.

Breivik’s mother, Wenche Behring Breivik, died on Friday after a long battle with ill-health. She was 66.

She met her son at Ila Prison, near Oslo, earlier this month. “He was allowed to say goodbye. They both knew it would be the final meeting,” Mr Jordet told The Associated Press. “I spoke to him this morning. He was grieving. It was very sad news to him.”

Wenche had been in contact with her son over the phone in recent months, and he is said to have “regarded her as a good mother” despite their “completely opposite ideological views”. Mr Jordet said they had a “good mother and son relationship”.

In July 2011, Breivik detonated a car bomb outside government offices in Oslo, killing eight people, and then drove to the island of Utoya, where he massacred 69 in a shooting spree at a summer camp.

A year later, the Oslo District Court found Breivik guilty of terrorism and premeditated murder for the attacks. His mother never attended his 10-week trial for health reasons, but in a statement read out in court she said her son had fabricated information.

Since his incarceration, the 34-year-old has complained that his coffee was served cold, he didn’t have enough butter for his bread, and he was forced to go without moisturiser.

[Source]

If you were on the prison board, what would you decide? Must feel bad to lose someone you loved... right Brevik?

Scroll to see replies

Hmm. That's a really tough one.

Well, his mother is dead. So she's not going to care if he's there or not. It's not like he wanted to go see her in hospital.
And as far as I'm concerned, he should be in prison for the rest of his life.

I think I'd vote against allowing it. Considering how many funerals he caused, I don't see why he should be given any sort of special treatment.

... And he sounds like a right whiney bastard.
**** him. Should have thought about that when you were murdering innocent people, eh, Anders?
Reply 3
I wonder how many of the parents and families of those children are still grieving their losses? Let the blighter rot.
Reply 4
He shouldn't be treated any differently to anyone else who's committed a serious violent crime. If it's normal for them to be allowed to attend then let him, if not then don't. No special treatment either way.
Reply 5
Let him out.
'Since his incarceration, the 34-year-old has complained that his coffee was served cold, he didn’t have enough butter for his bread, and he was forced to go without moisturiser.'
What?
Wow what a troll. I bet he gets internet and a PC in prison as well.
Reply 8
Let him out and with any luck some geezer will pop a cap in his ass
he shouldn't be denied his basic human rights. He should be allowed to attend his mothers funeral. It's his mother for goodness sake, show some more compassion people.
Reply 10
Are you guys seriously debating this? This guy shouldn't even be alive he should have got deported to a place where there are still capital punishment in place!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iamgreatness
he shouldn't be denied his basic human rights. He should be allowed to attend his mothers funeral. It's his mother for goodness sake, show some more compassion people.

I don't think you know what 'basic human rights' are.
Reply 12

Like how he showed them poor innocent kids compassion right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
No. It's called prison for a reason.
Original post by Muffled Snuffles
I don't think you know what 'basic human rights' are.

He should be allowed to attend. If it is the norm to allow prisoners to attend relatives funerals, he should not be an exception.
Original post by SirHas
Like how he showed them poor innocent kids compassion right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

He is being punished for that, and it's called prison.
Reply 16
He should be allowed to attend. If it is the norm to allow prisoners to attend relatives funerals, he should not be an exception.

Are you being serious or just kidding?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
He is being punished for that, and it's called prison.

Prison isn't a fit place for that, he should get the lethal injection!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SirHas
Are you being serious or just kidding?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Serious.
I think he should be allowed to attend the funeral, showing him compassion may well be the first step in him realizing the full extent of the damage and pain he caused and more importantly lead him to genuinely regret his actions. What he did is done, treating him like a monster and not offering any kind of support or help to a man who is clearly deranged and broken will not bring any dead people back to life nor does it serve any purpose other than revenge.

Quick Reply