The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Glasgow School of Art Offer Holders/Firmers 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
P.P.s. just read through the thread and realised you've already been discussing accommodation; ignore my ignorant question!
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Reply 41
Original post by Eugenio30
Yeeeeeeeeeeess! Conditional for Architecture. Not firmed yet, but will be doing so soon. I'm an Anglo-Italian from Warwickshire, add me on facebook http://www.facebook.com/eugenio.m.cappuccio or to any groups you make! Look forward to some good times in Glasgow..

P.s. where have you applied for residence? I've applied to Victoria Hall

Congratulations! Name added to the ever-expanding list of offer-holders! (:

By the way, you have a really, really snazzy name.
Reply 42
Seems I'm the first with an offer for design here, how exciting!

Unconditional for Fashion, first year entry, and I'm from Inverness. :smile:
Hi everyone!

I hold an unconditional offer for ComDes, but I'm not 100% on firming it. (Only 99.5%) I'm still waiting for decision from Glasgow Caledonian University for Graphic Design for Digital Media. Any thoughts on which should I choose? I guess GSA is the "better" and the more prestigeous, and I really like what I know about it, but I'm afraid it's a bit too (fine)"artsy". I'm more interested in more practical, design areas and employability (I hope that's the word I'm looking for :wink: ) is a major factor for me.
I'm an EU applicant, I haven't had the opportunity to visit any of the schools yet. (I've never been to Scotland!)
Any comment on this would be appreciated!

ps: Thanks napoleons for your advice when I was asking a day before my phone interview at the applicant's thread that should I send them my full portfolio or not. :smile:
(Eventually I did, altough they haven't looked at it.)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 44
Original post by baconfactory
Hi everyone!

I hold an unconditional offer for ComDes, but I'm not 100% on firming it. (Only 99.5%) I'm still waiting for decision from Glasgow Caledonian University for Graphic Design for Digital Media. Any thoughts on which should I choose? I guess GSA is the "better" and the more prestigeous, and I really like what I know about it, but I'm afraid it's a bit too (fine)"artsy". I'm more interested in more practical, design areas and employability (I hope that's the word I'm looking for :wink: ) is a major factor for me.
I'm an EU applicant, I haven't had the opportunity to visit any of the schools yet. (I've never been to Scotland!)
Any comment on this would be appreciated!

ps: Thanks napoleons for your advice when I was asking a day before my phone interview at the applicant's thread that should I send them my full portfolio or not. :smile:
(Eventually I did, altough they haven't looked at it.)

Posted from TSR Mobile

First of all, fab username; and you're very welcome. It was good that you sent them your portfolio, just in case.

Also congratulations on the unconditional offer! As for what to do, although I know very little of the Caledonian course and the facilities there, it is still a very good university regardless. However, put against GSA, I would choose GSA without a second thought (totally not favouritism on my part).

Why? Well, as you've pointed out, it is a better school for arts courses like Communication Design; and it is certainly more famous. If you told someone you went to GSA, people would be more impressed than if you went to Caledonian, purely because of the standard GSA has - it sounds elitist but it's true. It's like that with any famous art school.

GSA also has a fantastic art scene. It's a wonderful environment to be in. And in a year or so time, you'll get a fancy new building to work in.

As for whether it might be too "fine artsy", I don't think it is. I've seen the work some students in their 3rd and 4th year have produced and that is certainly not the case. I wouldn't worry about this at all. Communication Design is actually quite a broad term. Film, illustration, installation art can all fall under this term, so long as you're able to communicate some sort of message with the audience - at least, that's the impression I get. Some of the work that I saw at the 2012 Degree Show, for example, involved three discs of water on a table. You popped on a pair of earphones and dipped your finger in each of the discs, which played different sounds. And that was from a student studying the course. So I wouldn't worry about it being too "fine artsy". I hope that makes sense.

In regards to whether you are more likely to get employment from GSA, or from Caledonian, there's no guarantee. You might think having your name listed under GSA alumni is an advantage - and a lot of people think this - when it comes to getting a job but I highly doubt that is the case. As with all art careers, it all comes down to yourself, the individual. It comes down to your skills, your attitude, and your timing - who you know and where you are. Just because you've attended GSA, Caledonian, hell Slade School of Fine Art even, if you've got a bad attitude and you're not proactive enough to promote yourself, you won't get anywhere. That's how I feel, and that's what I've been told. So long as you work hard, are passionate, proactive and get yourself noticed, you'll be sure to go far, no matter where you studied. To be fair, that's true for any career.

Therefore, that said about career prospects, I'd say go for the school you want to go to for the next four years of your life, almost 5 days a week. I know you haven't been there in person but try to look at some of the virtual tours they might have. Look at the surroundings of the school. Photos of the interiors. Look at the course again - you're going to be studying this for the next four years of your life, make sure it's something worthwhile and more importantly, that you enjoy. There's no point doing a course you have no passion for but apparently has "good job prospects". Life isn't fun when you're not having fun, that's pretty much it.

So, there's my take on that. Make of it what you will, it's just an opinion and thought on what I'd do if I were in your position. If you're still unsure about the course, I recommend phoning the places to get more info!

Best of luck!
Reply 45
I'm definitely going to stay in halls. I wish I'd heard back from ECA so I could firm up that offer and get applying.

And lets meet for sure - some time over Easter?

I'm studying at UCA Maidstone. I think it'd be a nice idea if we all posted little portfolios of our work - so we can get to know what everyone else is doing, and also for next years applicants.
Reply 46
Original post by opiumette
I think it'd be a nice idea if we all posted little portfolios of our work - so we can get to know what everyone else is doing, and also for next years applicants.

Sounds like a good idea to me.

Post the links to your art blogs or portfolio websites or whatever and I'll list it by your name in the first post.
Reply 47
Original post by napoleons
Gosh darn, realised I made a typo. I'm actually north west. (>_<)

Anyway, did you see the Art Detectives: Investigating Bosch and Bruegel exhibition at Kelvingrove? Really cool to see how they work in conservation.

I saw this when I was up! Made me think about perhaps looking in to conservation if trying to be an artist goes down the pan. Very interesting.
Reply 48
http://www.flickr.com/photos/89216940@N08/sets/72157632582286681/

I haven't updated this since February or so. I'm very conceptual and don't identify as a painter/printmaker - my only reservation about studying at GSA.
Reply 49
I saw this when I was up! Made me think about perhaps looking in to conservation if trying to be an artist goes down the pan. Very interesting.

Really cool, wasn't it? I've been considering conservation for some time now. I really love the idea of helping to preserve history.

I haven't updated this since February or so. I'm very conceptual and don't identify as a painter/printmaker - my only reservation about studying at GSA.

Added!

Really like your work, especially the photography stuff. Very, very lovely. And I don't think there's any problem with being conceptual at GSA. I think the school is generally quite lax with how you do things with your art, so long as you can justify it - as with all pieces of art I suppose. As I said to baconfactory, go to the school you want to go to and the course you want to do for the next 3 years.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 50
I hold a conditional offer from GSA to study Architecture and it's going to be my firm choice once I've heard from all the universities(still waiting to hear from Sheffield and Nottingham).
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 51

your double-exposed work is screwing with my mind. That's a compliment :P
Reply 52
Original post by napoleons
Really cool, wasn't it? I've been considering conservation for some time now. I really love the idea of helping to preserve history.

Added!

Really like your work, especially the photography stuff. Very, very lovely. And I don't think there's any problem with being conceptual at GSA. I think the school is generally quite lax with how you do things with your art, so long as you can justify it - as with all pieces of art I suppose. As I said to baconfactory, go to the school you want to go to and the course you want to do for the next 3 years.

Thankyou!

It's not so much I'm worried about how conceptual I am, and obviously Glasgow aren't worried either. It's that I need darkroom access, photography and filmmaking are as big a part of my practice as painting, perhaps larger. But no way am I giving up a studio in the Mac. Maybe I'll angle it as 'painting with light' - haha.
Reply 53
Original post by Eugenio30
your double-exposed work is screwing with my mind. That's a compliment :P

Thankyou very much! It was supposed to. I was reading up on prosopagnosia and Sacks/R.L Gregory at the time.
Reply 54
Thankyou!

It's not so much I'm worried about how conceptual I am, and obviously Glasgow aren't worried either. It's that I need darkroom access, photography and filmmaking are as big a part of my practice as painting, perhaps larger. But no way am I giving up a studio in the Mac. Maybe I'll angle it as 'painting with light' - haha.

Ah, misunderstood what you wrote! But fair enough, that is quite a major point. You could always phone up and ask...?

Original post by Winchester
I hold a conditional offer from GSA to study Architecture and it's going to be my firm choice once I've heard from all the universities(still waiting to hear from Sheffield and Nottingham).

Added to the list!
Reply 55
just found this thread :wink:

I have an unconditional offer for Fine Art Photography....not yet firmed...I need to cick myself in the a** a bit :wink: as I feel I am hesitating too much and that it would be stupid to let an opportunity like this slip away....

I don't know if you are interested in my flickr, because there is more general photography stuff and very little of what I actually included in my portfolio...

anyway, very happy to meet you all here!
Reply 56
Original post by babsiloi
just found this thread :wink:

I have an unconditional offer for Fine Art Photography....not yet firmed...I need to cick myself in the a** a bit :wink: as I feel I am hesitating too much and that it would be stupid to let an opportunity like this slip away....

I don't know if you are interested in my flickr, because there is more general photography stuff and very little of what I actually included in my portfolio...

anyway, very happy to meet you all here!

Added!

I've not firmed either. I'm waiting for ECA's decision. Just want to see what their reply is.

And go on, share! Everyone, I'm sure is interested. I just linked my art blog in general.
Reply 57
http://www.flickr.com/photos/babsispics/ that's it :wink: and just to tell you: I have the opposite fear than you do...I am always thinking I will be like a grandma for everybody...I am 31 :colondollar:
Reply 58
Hello everyone...just discovered this thread.

Got an offer for SEA and an offer for digital culture...undecided as to which I will accept, so I'll wait a bit before I make up my mind. Anyone else in my position deciding between those two departments? Would be good to hear what your thoughts are?

Original post by babsiloi
http://www.flickr.com/photos/babsispics/ that's it :wink: and just to tell you: I have the opposite fear than you do...I am always thinking I will be like a grandma for everybody...I am 31 :colondollar:

Hello Babsiloi,
Wow, your photos are amazing!!!
Don't worry if you feel like a grandma...rest assured you won't be the oldest student @GSA...I'll be the great-grandma at 37!! :colondollar::colondollar::colondollar:
Reply 59
Original post by artchic
Hello everyone...just discovered this thread.

Got an offer for SEA and an offer for digital culture...undecided as to which I will accept, so I'll wait a bit before I make up my mind. Anyone else in my position deciding between those two departments? Would be good to hear what your thoughts are?

Hello Babsiloi,
Wow, your photos are amazing!!!
Don't worry if you feel like a grandma...rest assured you won't be the oldest student @GSA...I'll be the great-grandma at 37!! :colondollar::colondollar::colondollar:

very happy to meet you and to know that I won't be the only person on the school in her 30s :wink:

I can imagine that it's quite a tough decision between these two departments. and btw it's absolutely great that you got offers for both...
my own guess would be that they let your work in different disciplines anyway at a certain stage if they see that you have more than just one talent...in worst case you could still transfer between courses after the first two years if I understood correctly...

do you have a portfolio online? and where do you live?

sorry for so many questions :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending