The Student Room Group

Is it unreasonable to expect me to do Access to HE?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Samual
There could be a number of reasons why the university said that, they were probably obliged to reject him because he has not finished his first year yet.

This is not the case. The university could have accepted him either conditionally or unconditionally. The OP is lucky in that although he was rejected, he was given a potential way of applying again in future.

Once he has finished it and received a CertHE it would be a complete waste of time doing an access course.

This is not the opinion of the uni which rejected his application and made the Access course a prerequisite for a second application.

In my opinion the OP should spend the year doing a language course, either an AS or an OU course - it need not be Japanese, but showing an admissions tutor that one has the ability to learn languages is very important.

The university has made the Access course a pre-requisite for his next application. If the OP gets any other qualification instead, they will automatically reject his application.

Whether he, you or we think this is unreasonable, is irrelevant. This is what the uni has specified and a failure to follow a simple instruction on the grounds that the OP knows better than the Admissions Officer, isn't going to make a good impression. It will result in a wasted year and a further rejection.
Original post by Klix88
This is not the case. The university could have accepted him either conditionally or unconditionally. The OP is lucky in that although he was rejected, he was given a potential way of applying again in future.

Universities publish their results much later than A level students receive theirs, and because of the way the UCAS system works the university in question could have been put into a position where they would have had to offer the OP a place even before he had received his marks. It is for this reason that I will have to apply to UCL for a deferred entry.

This is not the opinion of the uni which rejected his application and made the Access course a prerequisite for a second application.

It seems to be the opinion of one admissions officer, not the university. I would never trust what an admissions officer says implicitly without double and triple checking it. I say this because I have experience of an admission officer who made a mistake, she said that Edinburgh University would "absolutely not accept a CertHE" - a month later she backtracked and confirmed they would accept it.

The university has made the Access course a pre-requisite for his next application. If the OP gets any other qualification instead, they will automatically reject his application.

Whether he, you or we think this is unreasonable, is irrelevant. This is what the uni has specified and a failure to follow a simple instruction on the grounds that the OP knows better than the Admissions Officer, isn't going to make a good impression. It will result in a wasted year and a further rejection.

We will agree to disagree here I think. The OP would do well to research this a little more and contact other people, and if necessary a different university.
Reply 42
Original post by Samual
The OP would do well to research this a little more and contact other people, and if necessary a different university.

Sound advice.
Reply 43
Once decisions have been made universities seem to be quite stubborn and very unlikely to change their decision.

Does anyone have any advice on how I would be best to proceed? Would calling the universities I've applied to and explaining my situation and why I believe the CertHE is equivalent to A Levels help or is it unlikely to make much difference at this stage?
Reply 44
Original post by TobaccoSmoke
Does anyone have any advice on how I would be best to proceed?

Do the Access course or put your current aspirations aside and do something else.

Would calling the universities I've applied to and explaining my situation and why I believe the CertHE is equivalent to A Levels help or is it unlikely to make much difference at this stage?

I think it will annoy them greatly and make no difference at all.

Unless you lied on your application, they already know that you're going to have a CertHE and have disregarded it when they gave your their rejections or requirements for applying again. They won't care what you think. A first year undergrad doesn't know more about university admissions than a university Admissions Officer.

In any case, a CertHE is actually a higher educational award than an A Level and isn't an equivalent. And a CertHE in History won't help you get a place on a Japanese degree.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 45
Original post by Klix88

Unless you lied on your application, they already know that you're going to have a CertHE and have disregarded it when they gave your their rejections or requirements for applying again. They won't care what you think. A first year undergrad doesn't know more about university admissions than a university Admissions Officer.

You're probably correct, although I will say that the suggestion of doing an Access Course was the opinion of one Admissions Officer who replied to my email and wasn't necessarily the person who made the decision.

Admissions Officers are so used to dealing with applicants offering A Levels and Access to HE that it is quite possible that some might simply not be aware that they could accept CertHE and therefore reject me on the basis of my A Levels not being high enough.

In the email they said they could not accept me at present because my A Levels are not high enough, they didn't directly mentioning the CertHE, implying they either didn't take it into consideration or perhaps didn't even realise that it could be.
You're probably correct, although I will say that the suggestion of doing an Access Course was the opinion of one Admissions Officer who replied to my email and wasn't necessarily the person who made the decision.

Admissions Officers are so used to dealing with applicants offering A Levels and Access to HE that it is quite possible that some might simply not be aware that they could accept CertHE and therefore reject me on the basis of my A Levels not being high enough.

In the email they said they could not accept me at present because my A Levels are not high enough, they didn't directly mentioning the CertHE, implying they either didn't take it into consideration or perhaps didn't even realise that it could be.

I can't believe this is still going on! :eek:

Honestly it sounds like they haven't even considered your CertHE because it isn't relevant or something that would give you appropriate knowledge or preparation for the degree. You have 3 pages of good advice and even people arguing over your situation. I suggest you re-read and decide to either stick at what you're already doing or quit and find a way to get into what you want to do, and not by arguing with admissions tutors.

P.s. I know somebody who has just finished a languages degree at Cambridge and she cannot find a relevant job so has decided to study something else instead. Luckily her family has enough money to fund a second degree. But think seriously before embarking on something else, particularly something which isn't too conventional like Japanese. Could you afford to do further study to bulk up your qualifications once you've finished??
Original post by Klix88
In any case, a CertHE is actually a higher educational award than an A Level and isn't an equivalent. And a CertHE in History won't help you get a place on a Japanese degree.

I am loathed to repeat myself but it looks as if I'm going to have to. Yes, a CertHE in history can get the OP onto a Japanese degree (maybe not at all universities, but definitely some). Stop giving the OP false information, a CertHE is viewed in lieu of A levels or an Access course - I know this because this is what admissions officers at various universities have told me. If he has a CertHE there is almost no point in doing an access course, and I would recommend the OP contact the university again and ask whether a CertHE would be acceptable for the 2014 entry.

Original post by SuperCat007
P.s. I know somebody who has just finished a languages degree at Cambridge and she cannot find a relevant job so has decided to study something else instead. Luckily her family has enough money to fund a second degree. But think seriously before embarking on something else, particularly something which isn't too conventional like Japanese. Could you afford to do further study to bulk up your qualifications once you've finished??

Language graduates have some of the best graduate employment statistics out there, they are very versatile and worthwhile degrees.
Reply 48
Original post by Samual
If he has a CertHE there is almost no point in doing an access course, and I would recommend the OP contact the university again and ask whether a CertHE would be acceptable for the 2014 entry.

You and I are going round in circles. The universities to which the OP has applied, *know* that he will have a CertHE and they have deemed it irrelevent. He has either been rejected outright or told to do an Access course before reapplying. To tell the OP that the unis are wrong to have done that, is entirely incorrect. They *have* done that and there's no right of appeal. Contacting to tell them they're wrong will do no good at all. It might remove what little chance he has of ever getting on his desired course.
Reply 49
Original post by Samual
I am loathed to repeat myself but it looks as if I'm going to have to. Yes, a CertHE in history can get the OP onto a Japanese degree (maybe not at all universities, but definitely some). Stop giving the OP false information, a CertHE is viewed in lieu of A levels or an Access course - I know this because this is what admissions officers at various universities have told me. If he has a CertHE there is almost no point in doing an access course, and I would recommend the OP contact the university again and ask whether a CertHE would be acceptable for the 2014 entry.

Thanks for the advice. So basically you're saying that the universities you have applied to have pretty much said they are unable to accept a CertHE conditionally and can only accept it once it has been fully completed?
Thanks for the advice. So basically you're saying that the universities you have applied to have pretty much said they are unable to accept a CertHE conditionally and can only accept it once it has been fully completed?

I am applying for the 2014 entry. I am not certain if a university can make a conditional offer on a CertHE or not, but from what UCL said to me I don't think they can. I suggest you email every university you are interested in and ask whether they would accept a CertHE (not all universities will, especially oversubscribed courses) and whether you need to have completed it before applying. If you want to do Japanese you might be asked to demonstrate some language learning ability, so I still think you should make that your priority, not an access course.
This is definitely going around in circles. :rolleyes:

I HAVE a CertHE and every single uni I talked to, and applied to bar one said they can't accept me because my qualifications aren't relevant. Even though said CertHE is in the same subject as the degree. They all want good A-levels or access. So maybe in your situation UCL would be happy with the CertHE, but I know in mine and most probably the OP's it isn't relevant or considered appropriate preparation for the degree.

I don't really know why I'm bothering posting because it is obvious the OP is only taking what he wants to hear. But whatever, just don't go arguing with the uni then backtrack and reapply with an access next year. They *may* not remember who you are, but there's every chance that they will and will find another excuse not to give you a place.

I HAVE a CertHE and every single uni I talked to, and applied to bar one said they can't accept me because my qualifications aren't relevant. Even though said CertHE is in the same subject as the degree. They all want good A-levels or access. So maybe in your situation UCL would be happy with the CertHE, but I know in mine and most probably the OP's it isn't relevant or considered appropriate preparation for the degree.

I don't really know why I'm bothering posting because it is obvious the OP is only taking what he wants to hear. But whatever, just don't go arguing with the uni then backtrack and reapply with an access next year. They *may* not remember who you are, but there's every chance that they will and will find another excuse not to give you a place.

Unless you applied for a humanities degree (which you evidently did not) I do not see how your experience is at all relevant to the OP's situation, or how you can judge their likelihood of being accepted with a CertHE.

The only reason I am posting here is because yours and other people's posts might negatively influence people reading this thread and convince them to take an access course which they may not need.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Samual
Unless you applied for a humanities degree (which you evidently did not) I do not see how your experience is at all relevant to the OP's situation, or how you can judge their likelihood of being accepted with a CertHE.

The only reason I am posting here is because yours and other people's posts might negatively influence people reading this thread and convince them to take an access course which they may not need.

The only reason I am posting here is because you and the OP are giving the impression that the university should reconsider because CertHE is always regarded as better than A-levels/access which it is not. It doesn't matter what kind of degree you are applying for it is the university's decision and that is final.

It gives people the delusion that just because they have successfully completed 1 year of a degree and acheived the CertHE that you should be considered better than A-level or access candidates. I'm not suggesting he, or anybody else, get something they don't need, I'm suggesting he should listen to the uni. If he wants it that badly then he should go and get the qualifications they are asking for and re-present next year; rather than keep flogging an already dead horse by posting here and arguing with the uni. :rolleyes::s-smilie:
(edited 11 years ago)

I HAVE a CertHE and every single uni I talked to, and applied to bar one said they can't accept me because my qualifications aren't relevant. Even though said CertHE is in the same subject as the degree. They all want good A-levels or access.

I'm in the same situation. They've asked for information on what I've / am studying and one has told me no and one hasn't got back to me yet.
Reply 55
Original post by OU Student
I'm in the same situation. They've asked for information on what I've / am studying and one has told me no and one hasn't got back to me yet.

Are you applying for first year admission or second year admission?
The only reason I am posting here is because you and the OP are giving the impression that the university should reconsider because CertHE is always regarded as better than A-levels/access which it is not. It doesn't matter what kind of degree you are applying for it is the university's decision and that is final.

It gives people the delusion that just because they have successfully completed 1 year of a degree and acheived the CertHE that you should be considered better than A-level or access candidates. I'm not suggesting he, or anybody else, get something they don't need, I'm suggesting he should listen to the uni. If he wants it that badly then he should go and get the qualifications they are asking for and re-present next year; rather than keep flogging an already dead horse by posting here and arguing with the uni. :rolleyes::s-smilie:

I don't think asking for a second opinion, or clarifying the university's position towards CertHEs is flogging a dead horse. Admissions officers sometimes get it wrong, it is always worth checking again.

I never said a CertHE was better than A levels or an Access course, as far as I'm concerned they are all equal.

If you don't mind me asking, what university said no and for what subject? No university has given me an outright negative when I have asked about the acceptability of an CertHE.
Original post by Samual

If you don't mind me asking, what university said no and for what subject? No university has given me an outright negative when I have asked about the acceptability of an CertHE.

Kent for Law & Spanish. I asked about first year entry.
Kent for Law & Spanish. I asked about first year entry.

Did they give no reason? Even Cambridge said they would consider an applicant with OU credits (although 60 have to be at level 2), so I am surprised Kent won't consider you.
Original post by Samual
Did they give no reason? Even Cambridge said they would consider an applicant with OU credits (although 60 have to be at level 2), so I am surprised Kent won't consider you.

Can't remember their reason. But from what I've read on here, unis (in general) don't accept Law if you want to do a Law degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending