The Student Room Group

The Classics Society Mk II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by faber niger
Erm, sure, I'm a bit rusty, as I'm not studying this kind of thing right now, but yes, you can certainly "inbox me" (nice nominalized verb there, Shakespeare would be proud). :smile:

looool! Thankyou, much appreciate your help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Shanij
looool! Thankyou, much appreciate your help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
To be fair, I didn't see (/bother reading) that you were only doing GCSEs, so I'm not sure how much detail you need (and whether you're penalised for "knowing too much" :rolleyes:, though I doubt you're likely to pick up "too much" from me :p:), but hopefully you got some useful ideas anyway. No worries.
(edited 11 years ago)
To be fair, I didn't see (/bother reading) that you were only doing GCSEs, so I'm not sure how much detail you need (and whether you're penalised for "knowing too much" :rolleyes:, though I doubt you're likely to pick up "too much" from me :p:), but hopefully you got some useful ideas anyway. No worries.

I'm not penalised for that :P It was useful, I shall research the points you made in more depth and try to include it :smile:
Original post by SirMasterKey
Same for the being too poor. Although to be honest, I want a break from studying after next year anyway. Go out into the real world for a few years and then maybe come back for a Master's.

Sounds like a plan mate. :biggrin: My friend said "I can't wait to spend £5k on a postgrad that will do little to improve my career prospects :awesome:" so when she put it like that I was like ... yikes.

I told someone last night I did Classics and for the first time they said "That's so cool!" instead of "What's that?"

You're kidding? I didn't think that happened. :eek:
Original post by RedDragon
Well, when I was a puerulus, I remember that the mark schemes were often quite prescriptive and you often had to give them the exact sort of answer they were looking for, couldn't think outside the tick-box (or maybe that's just my excuse for doing badly :p:). I presume that's less applicable to essays though, and probably less so in Class. Civ. GCSE anyway. :smile:

It's probably more that one isn't credited for such thinking, rather than being penalised actively.
If, for example, you put down 10 extremely abstract, original and highly creative points (with evidence, justification et c.), you would probably do worse than someone who wrote about 4 points, 3 of which are 'standard' and show a solid foundation of knowledge, and just 1 of which is utterly original.
I'm sorry guys but I just hate the Greek side of ancient history. Rome all the way. This has nothing to do with the fact that it's gone 4am and I'm working on a Greece essay. Nope.
Original post by placenta medicae talpae
It's probably more that one isn't credited for such thinking, rather than being penalised actively.
If, for example, you put down 10 extremely abstract, original and highly creative points (with evidence, justification et c.), you would probably do worse than someone who wrote about 4 points, 3 of which are 'standard' and show a solid foundation of knowledge, and just 1 of which is utterly original.

Yeah, I think you're right. A lot depends on who's marking your paper as well and whether they think your original points are actually meaningful. I went off on some crazy tangents in my GCSE RS but still did well so :dontknow:
Original post by Aemiliana
I'm sorry guys but I just hate the Greek side of ancient history. Rome all the way. This has nothing to do with the fact that it's gone 4am and I'm working on a Greece essay. Nope.

It wouldn't have something to do with Athenian society and women would it? There's still Sparta. EDIT: :sparta:
(edited 11 years ago)
Sparta

It is compulsory to follow this word with :sparta:
(edited 11 years ago)
Happy Birthday Ovid!! perque omnia saecula fama vivas indeed :smile:
Original post by *Corinna*
Happy Birthday Ovid!! perque omnia saecula fama vivas indeed :smile:

You could learn about metamorphosis to celebrate! :party:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p00zv0wk/Metamorphosis_The_Science_of_Change/
Original post by placenta medicae talpae

Haha, I actually decided to celebrate by doing work on my PhD, which is on Ovid, so it's very appropriate :smile:
The sad moment when you realise that one of your fellow third year law students does NOT KNOW who Lord Justice Leveson is, let alone realise he is now the new Chancellor of your university. :banghead:

Would you mind if I add Ovid to my classical zoo?
(edited 11 years ago)
The sad moment when you realise that one of your fellow third year law students does NOT KNOW who Lord Justice Leveson is, let alone realise he is now the new Chancellor of your university. :banghead:

Would you mind if I add Ovid to my classical zoo?

haha feel free
Original post by *Corinna*
haha feel free

I was trying to find a butterfly but had to settle with a bear.
(edited 11 years ago)
Heey, I have a quick question.
So, in the ancient Olympic Games there was a big emphasis on the religious aspect of the games, the Altis, sacred mountain of Olympus etc. However, this isn't the case in the modern Olympics - more emphasis on entertainment, etc

Now, in my essay I am trying to say that in the modern era we do hold a religious aspect in our lives despite this not being evident in the games - why could this be? / why is it that the modern games don't have a religious aspect?

I hope I make sense,
Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Shanij
Heey, I have a quick question.
So, in the ancient Olympic Games there was a big emphasis on the religious aspect of the games, the Altis, sacred mountain of Olympus etc. However, this isn't the case in the modern Olympics - more emphasis on entertainment, etc

Now, in my essay I am trying to say that in the modern era we do hold a religious aspect in our lives despite this not being evident in the games - why could this be? / why is it that the modern games don't have a religious aspect?

I hope I make sense,
Thanks!

Edit: in case anybody thinks that I want you to write my essay for me - no way, I have done a lot of research it is just these small points I am not sure about but would make my essay stronger.

Oops, clicked quote rather than edit by accident
Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

how would this work in a world where different countries have different religions? How could the games have religious connotations? I also don't think that religion now plays the role it used to play in ancient Greece.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending