The Student Room Group

Anyone heard about living in vans as a student?

Hi,

I was always wondering. In the USA, students live wherever they want: for example, people live in the vans as students because they either cannot afford rent or just have much fun doing so :biggrin:

Have you seen any students who did live in a van or in any other different place?
Reply 1
Somebody I know in Swansea lived in his van for a whole year. He put a bed in the back, had a diesel fueled heater and gas cooker. He used local camping facilities for the toilet/shower. I guess he saved a bit of money, but he wasn't very healthy and I can't imagine girls would be too impressed, haha.
Just to be clear here, we're thinking Camper van not Transit van?
if some guy asked me back to his van for a quickie i would not be impressed.
Original post by Valentas
I was always wondering. In the USA, students live wherever they want

Not really. Many US colleges have requirements for people to live on campus for some / all of the years of their degree. That doesn't happen in the UK, so you really can live wherever you want.

Back to the original question - I doubt it would save that much money given the cost of buying the thing and putting fuel into it, relative to the bottom end of the private housing sector. Secondly it wouldn't be particularly pleasant (especially in winter) and not hygienic either, given the lack of washing & toilet facilities.
Original post by Bellissima
if some guy asked me back to his van for a quickie i would not be impressed.

Ah. Ignore that PM, then.
I know a guy who's granddad put himself through med school sleeping in a van and using the hospital showers and canteen for food.

I know plenty of people who squat here in London rather than rent. In some circles its considered quite trendy. Some people live in really nice places too, they are just unoccupied houses often they are some rich guys flat for the couple of months he comes to London.

I got offered to effectively house sit for some Arab guy, just to ensure he didn't end up with squatters in his house, but there were quite a few restrictions on what I could or couldn't do in the house.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Mhm...yeah I did not think about fuel.

Quick Reply

Latest