The Student Room Group

M1 Maths help Newtons Laws with attached PDF

Hi Guys
Need some help with this question. I have attached a PDF File.

Question:
A mass of 600 g is propelled up the line of greatest slope of a smooth plane inclined at 30 degrees to the horizontal. If its velocity is 3ms^-1 after the propelling force has stopped, find the distance it travels before coming to rest and the magnitude of the normal reaction. Use g=9.8ms^-2.

I dont understand when using F=MA why do you times it by g (or its that the mass 600g :S)
Original post by WorkHardNow
Hi Guys
Need some help with this question. I have attached a PDF File.

Question:
A mass of 600 g is propelled up the line of greatest slope of a smooth plane inclined at 30 degrees to the horizontal. If its velocity is 3ms^-1 after the propelling force has stopped, find the distance it travels before coming to rest and the magnitude of the normal reaction. Use g=9.8ms^-2.

I dont understand when using F=MA why do you times it by g (or its that the mass 600g :S)

Mass 600 grammes, or 0.6 kg.

Weight 0.6g=0.6x9.8N
Reply 2
Original post by ghostwalker
Mass 600 grammes, or 0.6 kg.

Weight 0.6g=0.6x9.8N

Yeah that why I'm confused. It does not mentioned that in the question. Most likely it might be g=9.8.
Reply 3
Yeah that why I'm confused. It does not mentioned that in the question. Most likely it might be g=9.8.

It tells you to use g=9.8 in the question you posted above :smile:
Perhaps noting that mass is usually measured in grammes and kilograms and has nothing to do with gravity.

Whereas weight is usually measured is in Newtons and is mass times gravity.

Might help clarify things.
Reply 5
Perhaps noting that mass is usually measured in grammes and kilograms and has nothing to do with gravity.

Whereas weight is usually measured is in Newtons and is mass times gravity.

Might help clarify things.

Yh true but the thing is when g=9.8 the answer is right .
Yh true but the thing is when g=9.8 the answer is right .

In your pdf, your initial F=ma equation.

F is mgSin30, as the component of weight (force) down the plane.

Or am I not understanding your problem?
Reply 7
In your pdf, your initial F=ma equation.

F is mgSin30, as the component of weight (force) down the plane.

Or am I not understanding your problem?

I got it. I'm not sure you really understood the SIN and COS. I have annotated it. Do you want me to upload it ? Thanks for your help it kept me thinking.

I got it. I'm not sure you really understood the SIN and COS. I have annotated it. Do you want me to upload it ? Thanks for your help it kept me thinking.

Huh!

This is the first time you've mentioned sin/cos. You'd been asking about "g".

What is it you're actually having problems with?
Reply 9
Huh!

This is the first time you've mentioned sin/cos. You'd been asking about "g".

What is it you're actually having problems with?

Read your previous Post.
Read your previous Post.

Done. Huh!
Reply 11
Done. Huh!

I'll upload it in a bit for you. =)
Reply 12
I'll upload it in a bit for you. =)

Hey guys i really need major help in m1 or else im failing... Even those simple questions i keep on getting wrong, hmm when do i knw if u=0 and when v=0?? i keeep on getting them confused, i know that initial its u thats zero and max height v is zero, but when they tell us to calculate for example the speed of the ball before it hits tge ground

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by Mimi85
Hey guys i really need major help in m1 or else im failing... Even those simple questions i keep on getting wrong, hmm when do i knw if u=0 and when v=0?? i keeep on getting them confused, i know that initial its u thats zero and max height v is zero, but when they tell us to calculate for example the speed of the ball before it hits tge ground

Posted from TSR Mobile

conventionally, u refers to the speed at the start of motion and v to the speed at some later time. So if an object starts from rest you will have u=0. If at some later time the object is at rest - possibly instantaneously if it's a ball in flight - then at that point you can take v=0.

If you're stuck on a particular question then start a new thread and someone can help you out with it.

Quick Reply

Latest