The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Albino
Change your name??? No-ones gonna care about how professional you're name sounds unless its something like Dick Suckmeoff

I had to rep that! :biggrin:

Anyway, I personally intend on changing my name in the VERY near future, once I am out of the house to say the least anyway, I literally cringe every time I hear my legal name!

I will NEVER be called by my birth name EVER - not even my parents call me by it!
Just ask people to call you by your middle name until you're 18, then have it changed by Deed Poll.

I know plenty of people who don't like being called by their birth names and opt for their middle name instead. It's fairly common, so go ahead :smile:

(Unfortunately, for me it's the opposite - my first name is pretty awkward to pronounce, but my middle name is bloody embarrassing so I can't use that one either...)
it's obvious that Oliver / Gareth is young as he doesn;t realise the stigma attached to Gareth following 'The Office' with Mackenzie Crook's portrayal of TA officer / Wernham Hogg minion Gareth Keenan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gareth_Keenan
Reply 23
You don't need to do anything special to change your name. Just start using it, and it becomes your legal name.

However, for the purposes of your bank, etc., it would probably be best to change your name by deed poll.
I'm gonna be honest and tell you that Gareth is just a bad as olly
My brother's called Oliver, sometimes I wish I had that name aha.
Common Useage is your friend

Just use Gareth and you are done
Original post by SheldonWannabe
Are you high right now? :lolwut:

Hahahahaha eyes of the beholder

But it's clear that OP's mum hates by naming him gareth
Original post by madfish
Hey

I basically hate my first name "oliver" or "olly" it really doesn't suite me and I just cringe anytime I hear it

I much prefer my middle name "Gareth" it sounds lot more professional and just is an all round better name

I just feel people can't take someone with the name "olly" or "oliver" very serious?

I am 17 years of age.

Is this common? How Should I do it?

If you do want to do it it would be easiest when you go away to uni as no one will know your name anyway.
Gareth Gates. Yep, that's who evryone's gonna be thinking of. Not so cool now, are we? Stick with Oliver.
You can actually call yourself anything you like. My partner's real name is John Matthew, but he is always called Matthew. The only dramas we have are remembering that any formal documents have to agree with his birth certificate and passport - things like degree certificates and plane tickets - and that cheques etc have to be made out to JM or we cant pay them into the joint bank account.

Just tell everyone you want to be called Gareth. Underline this on any job applications etc (ie. John Matthew Jones) so your full name is there but its clear which you use.

Deed poll isnt really worth doing. Is expensive and involves telling everyone (like the Power companies and the NHS etc etc) and getting loads of certified copies of the legal Poll doc which is a pain in the bum. And actually legally changing your name upsets parents - be careful. We thought about it and Matt's Dad went nuts.
Original post by returnmigrant
Deed poll isnt really worth doing. Is expensive and involves telling everyone (like the Power companies and the NHS etc etc) and getting loads of certified copies of the legal Poll doc which is a pain in the bum. And actually legally changing your name upsets parents - be careful. We thought about it and Matt's Dad went nuts.

I didn't think it was that expensive. =l
Anyway, just tell parents to mind their own business!

I personally HATE my name, seriously, if you googled my name, where it is so unique, it would show you EVERYTHING you want to know.
Oh, I hate being half greek, half english with a full greek name!

Changing it to a full English name asap!
Reply 32
I think Oliver's a cute name :3

but if you reeeally don't like it, just start telling people to call you Gareth. My dad is known by his middle name, although he hasn't actually done anything to legally change it and he still has his first name on documents and important forms etc.
Original post by SheldonWannabe
I think Olly's a much better name than Gareth... Gareth sounds a little camp, no offence to any Gareths reading this. :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_z2ouVGZGg :tongue:
Mike hunt. Eric sean. Your name is niether... I think you'll be ok...

Hahahaha! Yep, as soon as he changes his name to Gareth, he'll start singing like that. :tongue:
Tell everyone who you meet from now on that your name you middle name and you should be fine.

Your parents and people who already know you will call you by your first name unless you tell them otherwise.
I have known of a few people who use their middle name, presumably as they prefer it. An example is Alexander Johnson, aka Boris.
Original post by madfish
Hey

I basically hate my first name "oliver" or "olly" it really doesn't suite me and I just cringe anytime I hear it

I much prefer my middle name "Gareth" it sounds lot more professional and just is an all round better name

I just feel people can't take someone with the name "olly" or "oliver" very serious?

I am 17 years of age.

Is this common? How Should I do it?

My uncle is called Robert Gareth, but everyone calls him Gareth and always have done. I think if you just say that you use your middle name as your "given name" then everyone will be accepting, including potential employers. It'd be a lot harder if you wanted to call yourself something that wasn't already on your birth certificate :smile:
Oliver is a totally professional name. It's my cousin's name and Gareth is my brother's. There's nothing wrong with either of those names And as it happens my grandma changed her name to her middle name because she hates it. No idea how you go about it, you could always officially change it by deed poll? But I'm unsure how that works. I mean, being called Oliver isn't going to stop people giving you a job, so you could just leave it but get everyone to call you Gareth if you prefer it, you'd only occasionally need to use your real name. Awesome name btw (not that I'm biased).
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest