The Student Room Group

FanFiction

Increasingly over the past few years I have become really interested in fanfiction. Eventually I got round to writing my own stuff. At first my parents said ok, but we'd rather you wrote original fiction. They've got used to it, and accepted that it can be very good, but I still think they don't really like fanfiction. I, of course, love it, but sometimes I don't think people appreciate the quality of some of the stuff on there. What is everyone's opinion on fanfiction? Do you think there is a lot of prejudice around it?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Scroll to see replies

It's a gorgeous medium for storywriting, but most people assume that if you're on it, you're a) 12 or b) a supermeganerd.

I love it. Getting reviews in particular is exhilarating.
Reply 2
I love reading it because like you said you can find some really well written writing on there. (And I get a bit obsessive over my favourite books and I can't stand when they're over so it's a nice way of getting more material on my favourite characters :colondollar:)

I wrote some fanfiction three years ago when I was 14. It's dire. My original fiction is much better.
I don't mind fanfiction, some of it I hate (like Drarry fanfiction) and my friend is obsessed with One direction and she made me read this piece called 'Dark' which was pretty odd.

I'm sure there are some really great pieces of fanfiction out there though! :smile:
Drarry is dire, and I have come across some interesting pairings, just put it that way. My friend at school had never heard of smut, and would you believe it, fanfiction.net is not blocked at my school. My other friend (he writes rondemort) decided to find a story for us to read. It was Hagrid/Dobby *shakes with fear*

Reply 5
I love fanfiction! Been reading them since I was like 11. It started with Dragonballz. Loved!! Vegeta and Bulma, then I got into Addams Family and Pokemon, Digimon and Twilight and Harry Potter. Harry Potter is deffo the one. My fav ones are AU harry potter fanfic, James and Lily and just anything in general. Hit me up if you want to read some. :biggrin:
Reply 6
I agree with Drarry being horrendous; it's often so badly-written that it makes me want to cry.

I love fanfiction :h: I'm currently writing "fanfiction" of the "Terra Firma Fleet" series, and the author of the series has given me permission to publish it as an "Origins" story for one of his characters :smile:
Reply 7
I'll be honest, I respect original fiction more.

That said, I have enjoyed some fanfiction :smile:
Reply 8
It gets a bad name because there are far too many people writing it that commit the following sins:

1. Create a Mary Sue character
2. Place themselves into the fiction
3. Having placed themselves in the fiction, proceed to devise a romantic relationship with one of the canon characters.
Although I don't read fanfiction as much as I used to I regard fanfiction as one of the stepping stone to writing original fiction. It was a great practise writing stories set in the Harry Potter world. Now that I've begun writing original fiction of my own I no longer write fan fiction anymore. Not all fan fiction are that bad. In fact I can name some notable fan fic writers who crossed over to original fiction. 50 shades of grey originally started life as a Twilight fan fic. Furthermore, if you had ever heard of the "mortal instrument" series you'll know that the author Cassandra Clare started writing harry potter fan fic.
Reply 10
I only have one piece of fanfiction to my name. It was written 3 years ago and features Tom Paris from Star Trek Voyager, homosexual desires, and Borg enhanced genitalia. It was my alcohol inspired magnum opus. :u:

Which would also explain the terrible grammar...
I've been reading and writing fanfictions since '08, and I find it's really quite enjoyable. Of course, my first ones were never that good, and in '09, I did stop writing entirely. But I got back into the swing of it in '10, and I haven't stopped.

I use fanfiction writing as an outlet when whatever piece of original fiction I'm working on doesn't go well, and I find it really helps. Because with fanfictions, you can take existing things and twist them to suit your desires. With original fiction, however, you need to make sure that whatever you're writing will be something a lot of people can enjoy.

I agree, most Drarry fanfics are terrible, but for every terrible one, there is an excellent one. And this applies to every fandom.

However, there are some fanfcitons that should have never seen the light of day. My Immortal, anyone?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
I love fanficition, I've been writing it for a few years. I mainly write it about Glee, since I love that show but the writing especially in the later seasons is so terrible! So I read the fanfiction of it, some of which really is amazing, so I can still enjoy my favourite Glee characters just better written!
Reply 13
Original post by fc4197
I love fanficition, I've been writing it for a few years. I mainly write it about Glee, since I love that show but the writing especially in the later seasons is so terrible! So I read the fanfiction of it, some of which really is amazing, so I can still enjoy my favourite Glee characters just better written!

There's a really good fanfic at fanfiction.net. Its a crossover from Twilight about Jacob Black and Glee's Quinn Fabray. Its called Breathe of Life. http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8177590/1/Breath-of-Life
I think fanfiction can be an excellent opportunity to extend and develop your skills as a writer. It allows you to experiment with style while still having that safety of familiar characters and situations. The OP should tell their parents about this! Think about it, any kind of classic television/book revival etc. is a form of fan fiction!

Even so, I agree with everyone else, things tend to get a bit out of hand... I've read some pretty scarring Sherlock fanfictions... :eek:
The best fanfiction I have ever read was Dumbledore's Army and the Year of Darkness by thanfiction. It is a tale of what went on at Hogwarts during Deathly Hallows. I will say that it can get pretty gruesome at times.

Reply 16
Some of the stories I have read have brought me to tears or my ribs ache from laughing so hard. Its very rare but very wonderful. The only problem is trying to remember what is cannon and what is fiction half of the time.
Reply 17
Original post by Cynical_Smile01
The best fanfiction I have ever read was Dumbledore's Army and the Year of Darkness by thanfiction. It is a tale of what went on at Hogwarts during Deathly Hallows. I will say that it can get pretty gruesome at times.

Loved that one :biggrin:

I've been reading it HP fics for years now, if you sift through the crap there's some really really lovely/awesome ones.
Reply 18
Fanfiction can be good but it can be dire sorting through all the terrible Mary-Sue crap.
Reply 19
If someone finds a really good imprint story/Leah clearwater story or Jacob Black story please forward it to me. I keep searching for some but it so hard because most of the authors put themselves in the story/can't write properly/it actually has no appeal or makes no sense.. etc etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending