The Student Room Group

Importance of opening with a quote

Does it make a big difference if you open with a quote or not? English essays, Romeo and juliet.
Reply 1
Original post by Rhy
Does it make a big difference if you open with a quote or not? English essays, Romeo and juliet.

I would say it's generally best to open with a concise and rounded introduction. Quoting in an introduction is not normally the best thing to do in an exam because the introduction has the same sort of role as a conclusion; it's there to sum up what you are about to say. Quotes offer a much more specific analysis of the text as they should be there to demonstrate a point which you use the quote to go on to explain. Quote acts as evidence for an idea, so is normally best placed within the body of an essay.

While opening with a quote may seem to give your essay a bit of 'pizzaz' at the start, it's won't necessarily serve any point.

Can I ask what level you are studying at?
Reply 2
I agree with the above poster.

Generally, I use intros for contextualising factors and for telling the marker where I'll be going with my essay (try not to make this too explicit). Quotes go in the main body of my essay, which is where you'll pick up most of your marks. Conclusions are for a quick summary and a closing statement which will depend on the question.
Reply 3
Original post by sammy-lou
I would say it's generally best to open with a concise and rounded introduction. Quoting in an introduction is not normally the best thing to do in an exam because the introduction has the same sort of role as a conclusion; it's there to sum up what you are about to say. Quotes offer a much more specific analysis of the text as they should be there to demonstrate a point which you use the quote to go on to explain. Quote acts as evidence for an idea, so is normally best placed within the body of an essay.

While opening with a quote may seem to give your essay a bit of 'pizzaz' at the start, it's won't necessarily serve any point.

Can I ask what level you are studying at?

GCSE level? any tips on writing a strong introduction?
Reply 4
Original post by Rhy
GCSE level? any tips on writing a strong introduction?

once you've done your plan just skim over what you're going to be covering and try to summarise your main points. it's slightly different at degree level, but from what I remember of GCSE I recall they like you to put in contextual details about the writer, e.g. when Shakespeare wrote the play etc, so I tended to get all of that out of the way first as it served a handy way to know how to begin writing.

It really is just a summary, but introductions are quite useful for reminding yourself of what you're going to be covering. I know it's a horrible cliche but the key to a good introduction (and a good essay generally) is a good plan!! View your plan as the note form of your intro.
Reply 5
Original post by sammy-lou
once you've done your plan just skim over what you're going to be covering and try to summarise your main points. it's slightly different at degree level, but from what I remember of GCSE I recall they like you to put in contextual details about the writer, e.g. when Shakespeare wrote the play etc, so I tended to get all of that out of the way first as it served a handy way to know how to begin writing.

It really is just a summary, but introductions are quite useful for reminding yourself of what you're going to be covering. I know it's a horrible cliche but the key to a good introduction (and a good essay generally) is a good plan!! View your plan as the note form of your intro.

thank you!

During the play both Juliet and Romeo rush matters and do not inform their parents of decisions and actions which they make which in turn results in the deaths of them. Friar Lawrence says ‘’Violent delights have violent ends’’ Since he is a religious figure, it seems that he is referring to the dangers of passion, lust, and temptations of the flesh. "Violent delights" means things that seem pleasurable but are sinful and/or dangerous, and they lead to "violent ends", meaning they will most likely not end well. Moderate love is less likely to lead to disaster than violent love. Decisions (marriage) made in the heat of passion do not tend to be good ones; they are not well-thought out as is Romeo and Juliet’s. William Shakespeare demonstrates in these quotes that reckless actions have harsh consequences he gives warning about doing things in haste and in scarcity to your parent, in essence he is reinforcing the ideas of Elizabethan men and women to the audience, Shakespeare is also showing that Romeo and Juliet have partially distant relationships with their parents where secrets are kept.

this is a paragraph I just wrote how am I doing so far and how can I improve it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending