The Student Room Group

Do guys go for plain looking girls because they are scared to go for the pretty ones?

Scroll to see replies

So either I am pretty or an absolute troll. :lol: Awesome. It's fine, my cats will love me regardless.

Edit: If anyone wants to join me and my cats for karaoke, they're very welcome.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
I agree that guys may want to use pretty girls to annoy their girlfriends and things like that. But I don't think any guys genuinely think that pretty girls are not suitable for reliationships and plain girls are. I think that is an excuse because guys don't want to admit they're scared.

Bravado kind of ?Sour grapes? Lol you're probably right in a lot of cases :smile:

Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
I couldn't be bothered having a ridiculously hot girl because it would just cause paranoia, you'd know people would be trying to nail her constantly

True, but if you gain her trust it can also be a good confidence booster! 'Flirt all you like mate but she's mine!' lol
(I just amused myself thinking of if you have a girlfriend and she says 'Why are you with me babe? And you saying something like 'Well because you're not that pretty so I don't have to worry about you leaving me' ) :biggrin:
Original post by aspirinpharmacist
So either I am pretty or an absolute troll. :lol: Awesome. It's fine, my cats will love me regardless.

Or your oblivious to guys who like you and you may have put them in the friendzone / They don't meet your standards.
Reply 63
I prefer the plain looking ones because obviously there is much lower maintenance with them and of course they will cater to all my needs promptly:dance:.
Original post by Jaegon Targaryen
Or your oblivious to guys who like you and you may have put them in the friendzone / They don't meet your standards.

Please don't use the friendzone thing. You can't help who you're attracted to or not, if I could have fancied my friends I would, but I don't. So I don't actually blame anyone who doesn't fancy me because I don't consider myself that much of a catch. :lol: I don't expect everyone to find me attractive. My sister on the other hand is going to be fighting them off :biggrin:
Reply 65
You think a girl is going to reject a male who is a 9 to get with a male whos a 6/7 ? I dont think so ...

Girls have the power to choose , naturally they will choose the higher ranking male , in terms of looks , wealth , confidence etc .

If the 9 is a complete **** who nobody likes then yes it's possible. If the 6/7 has a good enough personality that outshadows the 9 then yes.

Btw, since when was a 7/10 bad? That's above average to me.
Reply 66

I sense bitterness in your post. Would you date someone you don't find attractive? Cause I sure as hell wouldn't.
Original post by Michaelj
If the 9 is a complete **** who nobody likes then yes it's possible. If the 6/7 has a good enough personality that outshadows the 9 then yes.

Btw, since when was a 7/10 bad? That's above average to me.

Personality outshines looks ? Sorry but thats a myth . Attraction is based mostly upon appearance , its sad but true . There are exceptions due to money , someone learning from past mistakes and giving someone a chance etc and if your average than thats good enough but you will find that really unattractive people will have little chances with really attractive people.

As people continue to express in this thread " you cant help who your attracted to"
I sense bitterness in your post. Would you date someone you don't find attractive? Cause I sure as hell wouldn't.

Well the reason I said that is because some girls and guys have such inflated , egotistic standards that they think your only attracted to someone if they are absolutely jaw dropping and flawless , like celebrities . The majority of people are not walking gods , that is a lesson that will be learn't in life for people like that.
Reply 69
Personality outshines looks ? Sorry but thats a myth . Attraction is based mostly upon appearance , its sad but true . There are exceptions due to money , someone learning from past mistakes and giving someone a chance etc and if your average than thats good enough but you will find that really unattractive people will have little chances with really attractive people.

As people continue to express in this thread " you cant help who your attracted to"

You need to be able to communicate with that person to have a relationship. If you can't communicate with the person then the relationship won't work. As previously stated a 6/10 and 7/10 is still an attractive person and therefore can have good enough personality to work it out.

I'm not saying unattractive people (nobody wants to go out with someone ugly) with personalities but average people can be attractive and that's why their personality may outshine the shallow 9/10 who can't hold a conversation.

You're free to disagree but you know I'm right.
Reply 70
Well the reason I said that is because some girls and guys have such inflated , egotistic standards that they think your only attracted to someone if they are absolutely jaw dropping and flawless , like celebrities . The majority of people are not walking gods , that is a lesson that will be learn't in life for people like that.

Look in the picture thread for my pictures. I'm average and I have no problem pulling women or getting attention off women who are nice looking. Because I have a personality.

Yes, some people are shallow but that's life. A lot of people aren't shallow. A lot of people presume good looking people are shallow when in fact they are not.
Guys always talk about the really pretty girls

Try not to make such massive generalisations. We're not all that shallow.
Reply 72
I understand that people are attracted to people that they think are aesthetically pleasing to look at but in my time at school I found that quite often the girls deemed "the hottest" haven't had to build personality's so some people didn't enjoy spending time with them. I would honestly date a 7/10 with a stunning personality than a 9/10 who was like a piece of cardboard to talk to, that may just be me though.
You need to be able to communicate with that person to have a relationship. If you can't communicate with the person then the relationship won't work. As previously stated a 6/10 and 7/10 is still an attractive person and therefore can have good enough personality to work it out.

I'm not saying unattractive people (nobody wants to go out with someone ugly) with personalities but average people can be attractive and that's why their personality may outshine the shallow 9/10 who can't hold a conversation.

You're free to disagree but you know I'm right.

You are right , communication is crucial to a relationship , I didnt say it wasnt.

The thing is though if your not attractive enough , THERE IS NO RELATIONSHIP . If your attractive with a **** personality , then yes your relationships will be short lasting but they will be plentiful . If your average but a girl doesn't fancy you (you might have the nicest personality in the world and have the potential to be a great partner ) you will have NO CHANCE , unless she decides to "settle" and give you a chance which is rare.
I've noticed that nearly every plain looking girl has a boyfriend. It seems like the very attractive girls are the ones who are more likely to be single. Guys always talk about the really pretty girls, but end up going for the plain ones. One of my male friends admitted to me that he wouldn't ask out a really pretty girl because he is intimidated by them, and that he tells himself that plain girls are more down to earth, even though deep down he knows that's not necessarily true. Guys, is this how you feel? Are you scared to go for pretty girls? Also, would you be more likely to ask out a pretty girl who was an aquaintance rather than a random girl in a bar?

I know people are going to say 'everyone has a different idea of what pretty is..' but we all know some girls are considered plain by the majority and some girls are considered pretty by the majority.

Firstly, it is not intimidated, but feels inadequate, and yes, many guys do that and so do girls. They find it easier to go for something comfortable than to be ambitious and achieve the best because one requires nothing, the other requires effort.
Also many pretty girls are boring and arrogant. They think their looks will carry their lack of personality when it never does. Sure, maybe when guys are 16 and looking for some ass, but come 20+, guys want this thing called a conversation and many pretty girls struggle with it.

Personally I would only go for pretty girls as I wouldn't be happy with an average one, but so far they are all the same boring, vapid, arrogant characters...or they become inadequate around me so I am faced with the same problem :facepalm:
I think some guys might actually go for personality as opposed to basing it on looks?
Reply 76
You are right , communication is crucial to a relationship , I didnt say it wasnt.

The thing is though if your not attractive enough , THERE IS NO RELATIONSHIP . If your attractive with a **** personality , then yes your relationships will be short lasting but they will be plentiful . If your average but a girl doesn't fancy you (you might have the nicest personality in the world and have the potential to be a great partner ) you will have NO CHANCE , unless she decides to "settle" and give you a chance which is rare.

The good looking guy won't get into a lot of relationships with a **** personality. Women will see him and think "who is this prick?" but yes, he may have relationships if he has the confidence to approach women.

You keep acting as if average = unattractive. It's not. Average looking people have plenty of attractiveness in them for people to like.
Reply 77
Original post by imidorotheah
I think some guys might actually go for personality as opposed to basing it on looks?

Lol, no.
Reply 78
Surely most lads go for girls that they've got a realistic chance with. If you go back to that horrible playground ranking system of 'leagues', most blokes aren't going to try and pull a girl who is far more attractive than they are and therefore 'out of their league'.
The good looking guy won't get into a lot of relationships with a **** personality. Women will see him and think "who is this prick?" but yes, he may have relationships if he has the confidence to approach women.

You keep acting as if average = unattractive. It's not. Average looking people have plenty of attractiveness in them for people to like.

But if your good looking then their is a possibility your flaws may be overlooked , if infatuated with a person it is incredibly easy to over look their flaws and thus girls are more likely to give a good looking guy a chance because she may justify his less attractive characteristics because of how much of a stunner he is. Imo there more likely to think "oh my , he is so hot and confident " when infact he is an arrogant bastard and she will likely learn that down the line . That is why its easy for good looking guys to get into relationships as girls haven't seen their "true colours" yet.

Its hard to talk about attractiveness so objectively , it is subjective after all.

Quick Reply

Latest