The Student Room Group

Job Interview at JD Weatherpoons, Kitchen Staff

Hello there :smile:

So my interview is on Wednesday (27th March) and I wondered if anyone had advice on any questions they might ask me and advice on how to answer said questions? It would really be appreciated I'm stressing as I have never done this kind of job before! :s-smilie:

And not being rude, but I don't really want to hear that its a **** job/**** company or whatever, I need a part time job and have been looking for one since Xmas, and finally spoons replied.

I also have a bar/floor staff interview on the 3rd April, so any advice on that would be much appreciated also :smile: have never done that kind of job before either... well I've done customer service but not in a pub :tongue: retail is a bit different hehe.

Thanks guys, reply soon! :smile:
Reply 1
As a former wetherspoons employee (and yes it's rubbish, but you clearly already know that!) I would 100% recommend going for the kitchen job rather than bar/floor, it's easier, you can climb the "career ladder" much faster and therefore earn more dosh, and you don't have to deal with drunken idiots all the time.

All I can suggest for your interview is be friendly, smiley, enthusiastic about the job and be yourself! Also if you are flexible with working hours, LET THEM KNOW. Wetherspoons LOVES people who can work til 3am on one day and start at 6am on another :rolleyes:

If you do get the job, make sure to write down the hours you work each week. From experience (at 3 different establishments) spoons will try and weasel out of paying you for any extra hours or minutes you work, and they can really really add up after a bit of time!

Any other questions just let me know, happy to help! :smile:
Original post by IndigoRose93
Hello there :smile:

So my interview is on Wednesday (27th March) and I wondered if anyone had advice on any questions they might ask me and advice on how to answer said questions? It would really be appreciated I'm stressing as I have never done this kind of job before! :s-smilie:

And not being rude, but I don't really want to hear that its a **** job/**** company or whatever, I need a part time job and have been looking for one since Xmas, and finally spoons replied.

I also have a bar/floor staff interview on the 3rd April, so any advice on that would be much appreciated also :smile: have never done that kind of job before either... well I've done customer service but not in a pub :tongue: retail is a bit different hehe.

Thanks guys, reply soon! :smile:

OMG it is funny that I am reading this because I was looking for a job and I handed my CV to a pub 2 days ago. Today they asked me to come in and they said they will take me on trial for a week. If I do a good job, they will permanently employ me. It is not a 'Spoons though (just a local pub in my area instead).

Well for MY interview it was really laid back. I got taken into their kitchen. The owner kept popping in and out but I was mainly talking to his wife (who also does a little in the pub). She just chatted about her life and her dog lol.

For the interview I would just recommend some basic things:
- Have a few questions to ask. At some point the interviewer would say 'do you have any questions'. It is better to ask 1 or 2 than to say no.
- Come across as happy and friendly
- Be willing to talk and also listen carefully to everything you get told
- Always think about how you are sitting (or standing). I.e always make eye contact with the person talking to you (do not just look around the room), smile and laugh occasionally, sit slightly forwards to show you are interested.
- Maybe be prepared to answer some basic questions they ask (although this one is not so likely).
- Have an idea when you can work, for how long you can work, the wage you would accept etc.

I start my first day's work tomorrow (well my trial). Tbh I don't really know what to expect when it comes to actually working there. I don't seem to know too much about ales, lagers and ciders (i'm more of a cheap vodka or rum shots sort of person).
Reply 3
Thanks guys, tis helpful, and yes edithwashere, I have heard from SO many people that its rubbish that I have just excepted the fact that it will be :') I need the job, so I'll take it :tongue:

I have heard mixed reviews about whether kitchen or bar is easier/less pressure etc, I mean my boyfriend works in a pub as a chef and says it a ridiculous ammount of pressure... but I'm guessing in spoons its mainly microwaves unlike his pub :') I dunno... at the moment I think I would prefer kitchen... people annoy me after a while if I'm honest :') haha.

And to dylantombides, thank you for the advice, it is encouraging :smile: I hope spoons will be that laid back, I will take your advice on body language etc because I tend to be a bit rubbish at that kind of thing usually haha. Good luck on your trial I'm sure you will do well :smile:
Reply 4
The only fresh food you cook at spoons is bacon, eggs and (frozen) burgers on the griddle. Everything else is microwaved or deep fried. Oh and you get 50% off food when you're on shift, although I wouldn't bother, thanks to all the frying you'll just get fat!

Also since they stop serving food at 10pm, you'll probably be finished at the latest 12pm, whereas on floor/bar you can be at work til 4am on a really bad day.
Working at a spoons with a lot of du trained stuff, 90% prefer bar to kitchen, but then our kitchen is a mess at the moment with a ridic high turnover which is making it hard to fix.

Bar advantages: less pressure; less repetition; less flack from the managers
Bar disadvantages: sometimes there until 4am; customers an be awful

Kitchen advantages: no customers; earlier finishers
Disadvantages: a lot of pressure; managers ce down very hard on kitchen; can still be there until 2am on a bad shift; very hot; tend to be much longer shifts; tend to be understaffed

Personally I would never go in the kitchen, they get treated like poop at times

Quick Reply

Latest