The Student Room Group
Original post by onlypsychology
Hi guys,

How long do you think is ideal to prepare for the UKCAT? If I sit the exam in October I should have about 4 months, it this enough?

Advice pls :biggrin:

Most people either tend to revise solidly for a couple of weeks, or very lightly for a few months and then intensively in the last couple of weeks.

If you revise intensively for 4 months, I guarantee you'll run out of material!
I would suggest one month or 2 with ukcat prep material online and with books, but to use the two months before brushing up on your maths, speed reading skills and other skills.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
a word of advice - don't make the same mistake as me and revise a week before like i did - i ended up with 605. if you want a good competative score (which in my opinion is 650+) then revise around 2 months before but as someone above said, revise lightly then in the last few weeks revise a lot more. Make sure you get the 600+ UKCAT Questions book and do the online mocks! :smile:
Reply 4
Is 2 months really necessary? :/
I was planning to do solid 3/4 weeks revision and then take the test during mid-August.
Try and do the test in August, not October. During August you'll have no school and a lot of free time in which to prepare for it, plus you'll know your score waaaay in advance so you know which schools to apply for / which ones to avoid.

In terms of time, two weeks is fine. Four months is excessive and you'll run out of practice material after a few weeks even if you do them at a leisurely pace.
Reply 6
I revised 2-3 weeks before mine. It's quite hard to revise for longer than that as there's a limited amount of mock tests and questions available. You don't want to run out of material too early on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Thanks for all the responses, I'm going to apply for GEM so time wouldn't be too much of a problem, and I think I need a month of a break from studying as 3 years has done my head in :eek:

But yea, seems like I should be fine:cool:
Original post by The.Joker
Is 2 months really necessary? :/
I was planning to do solid 3/4 weeks revision and then take the test during mid-August.

I don't think it is for some people. I know a person who prepared for only one week and another who prepared for two and they both go 700+. I prepared solidly for 6 weeks and got 650. So I do think some people are just naturally better at these things.
Original post by thegreenchildren
I don't think it is for some people. I know a person who prepared for only one week and another who prepared for two and they both go 700+. I prepared solidly for 6 weeks and got 650. So I do think some people are just naturally better at these things.

I agree with this, that I was I suggest that you develop the key skills before tackling UKCAT prep. So from there you will know how long you will need to work at UKCAT.
Reply 10
You can't really do 'solid revision' ,but the 600Q book is your bible for a while, and i would say do the whole thing twice
I did a weeks preparation and got 700+ :smile:
Reply 12
What do you guys mean when you say solidly revise, i mean how many hour each day? :confused:
Reply 13
I was just thinking, mines on the 22nd August and I'm hitting all the books and online mocks now. Should I be good?
Reply 14
Please continue this discussion in the dedicated UKCAT discussion thread. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending